Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Zpanel Domain Management
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Zpanel Domain Management

CltcamCltcam Member
edited July 2014 in Help

Hi, in my experience in the past with cPanel, after pointing my nameservers to my cPanel host, I can completely control my domain via cPanel. Now with Zpanel, I've installed zPanel on my VPS, so I don't have nameservers, only a IP. I followed the zPanel instructions and created this records on my domain registrar but whenever I make changes to the domain within zPanel, they never properly save. For example, earlier I attempted to create a sub-domain of billing.mydomain.com, and made a cname record for it too, but it never resolved. After talking with zPanel support, they told me "the registrar always needs to know where to point the domains you have registrered through them

even with cPanel you still have to have it pointed correctly at the registrar" . So, I created the record within my registrar and it worked. I'm starting to assume that this is because I don't have nameservers and merely pointed my IP to my Zpanel installation. So is it not possible for me to control the domain via zPanel because of this?

Comments

• PwnerPwner Member

Use Vesta CP, it's much better and safer than zPanel. Alongside that, it is a true combo for hosting because it creates a mail server, PHPMyAdmin, MYSQL, web hosting, and DNS (nameservers) all hosted on the VPS you install Vesta on. All you have to do is point your domain to the NS (server IP) and you will be able to manage it just like in cPanel.

Also, zPanel has had many security failures recently. It would be a safe move to transition to a more secure panel.

• CltcamCltcam Member

@Pwner, Alright, I will definitely consider that. So the DNS issue is not because I just pointed my domain to my server's IP, it has to do with the way zPanel works, yeah?

• PwnerPwner Member

@Cltcam said:
    Pwner, Alright, I will definitely consider that. So the DNS issue is not because I just pointed my domain to my server's IP, it has to do with the way zPanel works, yeah?

The DNS issue is because zPanel (to my knowledge) doesn't have built in DNS like Vesta does. Pointing only your "A" record to the IP isn't enough to create sub domains.

• CltcamCltcam Member
    edited July 2014

@Pwner said:
    The DNS issue is because zPanel (to my knowledge) doesn't have built in DNS like Vesta does. Pointing only your "A" record to the IP isn't enough to create sub domains.

@Pwner Thanks. Installing ioncube shouldn't conflict with the panel, right? If not, I will give it a go. Also, do you recommend any specific tutorials for installing the panel?

• PwnerPwner Member

That's the exact site and method I used to set it up myself. You'll enjoy the transition, but it may take a while to setup. Once it's all done though, you'll see how much better Vesta is.

• CltcamCltcam Member

@Pwner Installed VestaCP, so now to add the domain, I simply create an A record from my domain to my server's IP, then I can set up DNS etc correct?

• PwnerPwner Member

@Cltcam said:
    Pwner Installed VestaCP, so now to add the domain, I simply create an A record from my domain to my server's IP, then I can set up DNS etc correct?

https://forum.vestacp.com/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=3990

This is what helped me.

• CltcamCltcam Member

@Pwner I only have 1 domain though, no need for others at the moment. I should be fine, just going to point my domain to my vestaCP VPS IP via an A record.

• PwnerPwner Member

@Cltcam said:
    Pwner I only have 1 domain though, no need for others at the moment. I should be fine, just going to point my domain to my vestaCP VPS IP via an A record.

Read the tutorial, you need to park your domain correctly to set it as the name server as well as a domain hosted on the server. Pointing an "A" record is like creating a redirect. You need to park the domain so you can create subdomains correctly.

• CltcamCltcam Member
    edited July 2014

@Pwner said:

@Pwner Thanks. Also, http://puu.sh/avhdH/adb270c1de.png , does that usage seem proper for the freshly installed panel? Just want to make sure. Installing on Ubuntu may be better than CentOS. Not sure.

• PwnerPwner Member

@Cltcam said:
    Pwner Thanks. Also, http://puu.sh/avhdH/adb270c1de.png , does that usage seem proper for the freshly installed panel? Just want to make sure. Installing on Ubuntu may be better than CentOS. Not sure.

That is above regular usage. They recommend you use a 512MB machine, I managed to run it in a stable and successful 256MB environment, so check to see what else could be running in the background that can downsize it.

• CltcamCltcam Member

@Pwner Very odd. Nothing is. I did a fresh install of Centos6Minimal. Will try on Ubuntu 12.04 Minimal.

• PwnerPwner Member

@Cltcam said:
    Pwner Very odd. Nothing is. I did a fresh install of Centos6Minimal. Will try on Ubuntu 12.04 Minimal.

I personally had many issues while trying to set it up using Ubuntu and Debian (I prefer them over CentOS personally) and ended up installing it on CentOS using that tutorial.

• Try centos webpanel, so far i like it more then vestacp

• CltcamCltcam Member

@Pwner After installing on a 512MB VPS, usage was high, but after restarting my VPS, usage is around 113MB which seems about right.

• PwnerPwner Member

@Cltcam said:
    Pwner After installing on a 512MB VPS, usage was high, but after restarting my VPS, usage is around 113MB which seems about right.

Must have flushed out the RAM usage from the installation when you restarted. Enjoy Vesta CP, it's truly an amazing cPanel alternative that has better features and is more secure than most of its competitors.

Thanked by 1netomx
  • What version of Zpanel is that screenshot from? Looks like prior to ZpanelX!

Either way, I would not recommend Zpanel is any way - I used it, I know how to set up a server and got hacked.

I love either AjentiV (update released yesterday with all sorts of lovely stuff) or VestaCP - still waiting for the promised 'Apacheless' Vesta.

Centos-Webpanel is another package and development is moving fast, however much of the code is obfusticated and there has been no security audit of it to my knowledge. I would not use it anywhere near production.

• CltcamCltcam Member

@Monsta_AU said:
    What version of Zpanel is that screenshot from? Looks like prior to ZpanelX!

Either way, I would not recommend Zpanel is any way - I used it, I know how to set up a server and got hacked.

I love either AjentiV (update released yesterday with all sorts of lovely stuff) or VestaCP - still waiting for the promised 'Apacheless' Vesta.

Centos-Webpanel is another package and development is moving fast, however much of the code is obfusticated and there has been no security audit of it to my knowledge. I would not use it anywhere near production.

Screenshots from namecheap domain panel haha. No screenshots from zpanel, I was running the latest version.

• I was able to get ZpanelX to run DNS for me, was fairly easy. Simply register your Nameserver IP's, then point your Domain nameservers at it. Worked fine.

I am pretty sure it leaves the DNS server as an open resolver too.... therefore you are likely being used for amplification attacks. If you know what you are doing, you could lock it down but I would suggest configuring the server without a panel in that case, or go for something else.

• CltcamCltcam Member

@Monsta_AU said:
    I was able to get ZpanelX to run DNS for me, was fairly easy. Simply register your Nameserver IP's, then point your Domain nameservers at it. Worked fine.

I am pretty sure it leaves the DNS server as an open resolver too.... therefore you are likely being used for amplification attacks. If you know what you are doing, you could lock it down but I would suggest configuring the server without a panel in that case, or go for something else.

@Monsta_Au Ok so I registered 2 nameservers and pointed them to my VPS IP puu.sh/awQct/37bd76c0ac.png . And now I have my domain using both those nameservers, instead of the namecheap DNS. So now when I add an account it should be fine?

• Monsta_AUMonsta_AU Member
    edited July 2014

When I did it, it definitely worked. Just make sure the SOA and NS records in the zone are correct.

EDIT: I am seeing your server respond against a DNS query. Good work. Please remember to confirm that BIND is not an open resolver. If it is, edit the config and restart the service :)

• ad0ad0 Member
    edited July 2014

Webuzo is one of the best panels

• CltcamCltcam Member

@Monsta_Au weird, for some reasons sometimes the nameservers are unresposnive causing the sub-domains to not work as well. Any reason for this?

• wychwych Member

@Cltcam Listen to what you are being told and don't use zPanel unless you are confident you can secure it with its bugs and issues.

• CltcamCltcam Member
    edited July 2014

@wych Which free panel do you recommend?

• Cltcam said: Which free panel do you recommend?

VestaCP

• CltcamCltcam Member

@Joodle Alright, but before I give it a go, is it fair to suggest the issue with my nameservers is the Zpanel DNS resolving system? I believe the issue to be that. Sometimes, my nameservers randomly work, sometimes they don't. My VPS is constantly up though.

• Cltcam said: Alright, but before I give it a go, is it fair to suggest the issue with my nameservers is the Zpanel DNS resolving system? I believe the issue to be that. Sometimes, my nameservers randomly work, sometimes they don't. My VPS is constantly up though.

Could be, try VestaCP, it's awesome :) Many users here will recommend that panel

• CltcamCltcam Member

@Joodle Installing vestaCP now. Hopefully their DNS resolving system is better and less buggy than Zpanels.