Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Backup to another server.
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Backup to another server.

Hello everyone. I have a "small" question to you guys. I do you do your backups to another server?
This is the next thing i want to learn how to do on my vps because i have been caught off guard without a recent backup when things go bad.
I am using vestacp which as as function to send the backup done to another server but i cannot make it to work. Keeps saying:

Create directory operation failed.
Remove directory operation failed.
Error: can't create temp folder on the ftp

Unless someone here experienced with vesta can tell how to make it work, i wonder how do you guys treat your backups.
Thanks in advance.

Comments

• sc754sc754 Member

Using rsync is my favourite way, so long as you have ssh keys setup. It's very easy, I even have a script I made for it if you want it

• Seems like permissions with the information that you provided. Check to make sure that you can create files on the FTP server that you are backing up to.

• blackblack Member

It sounds like a permission issue with the directory you're trying to save to via FTP. Make sure the FTP user has write permissions to that directory.

• well, shouldn't the user have already permission to write on that dir? it was created automatically by vesta. I tried with the dir as 777 permissions but still the same. The dir belongs to root root, maybe i should change it to admin admin? which is what every other dir is set to...

• TACServersTACServers Member
    edited July 2014

You are backing up to a remote FTP server right? You shouldn't be dealing with local permissions. I would check the FTP server that you are backing up to. The error that you posted is related to Vesta not being able to make a directory on the remote server.

• the remote server is also powered by vesta. what would i check on the ftp server? sorry i am a bit clueless on that aspect.....

• I use backup with VestaCP and remote server with command:

v-add-backup-ftp-host backuphostname user password

You should be able to create another user on the remote server, and put his details into the above command.

• im using that.user is the ftp user name i created and its passwd... im sure the fix is simple... :s

• sorry second post. i think i managed to fix this. it seems the problem is with vsftpd config so i deactivated and installed proftpd on both servers. No errors shown. But no output too... will try a backup now. Thank you for the help guys!

• nunimnunim Member

@sc754 said:
    Using rsync is my favourite way, so long as you have ssh keys setup. It's very easy, I even have a script I made for it if you want it

^ This, I let VestaCP perform a local backup and then rsync it to a remote server. Using ssh keys you can lock down the rsync user to only that functionality and you won't have to worry about running an ftpd (which get attacked constantly).

• so rsync is a better way to do it? any good tutorial on how to do it?

• netrixnetrix Member

you can made ur own script with rsync and use ssh to transfer to another server.

• for backup I usually use, bitorrent sync.. it is easy and fast (depending on the network ofcourse)

• I think rsync is better because btsync probably will not preserve user/file permissions

• wychwych Member

rsync usually.

• Hi,
    if you want to have redundant backups of your VPS, I'd recommend "GlusterFS". Setup a replica-2 volume on your storage servers and then mount the volume on your VPS node and copy the neeeded files to the mountpoint.

Downside of this scenario: Your VPS needs the "fuse"-module enabled. Usually the provider will enable it for you.

The best,

gehaxelt

• thanks for the info guys. Regarding my initial issue. it didn't work. no actual file was sent... damn it. :p