Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with OpenID
Advertise on LowEndTalk.com

In this Discussion

simfs crippled?

simfs crippled?

RoboCotRoboCot Member
edited June 2012 in Help

It's me or there is something wrong?

df -H File system Dim. Usati Disp. Uso% Montato su /dev/simfs 31G 723M 5,2G 13% / tmpfs 269M 0 269M 0% /lib/init/rw tmpfs 269M 0 269M 0% /dev/shm

Is there a way to use fsck with simfs?

Thanks!

Tagged:

Comments

• rds100rds100 Member

No free space on the node (i.e. oversold node HDD space).

Thanked by 2Francisco tux
  • Good to know. Ticket to bluevm on the way...

• ouch, that doesnt seem right lol! Let us know the outcome @RoboCot

Systems Administrator | IWFHosting

Comments expressed are solely my own opinion and not of that of the companies, unless stated.

• Ticket sent. I'll keep you informed :)

BTW i'm on Illinois datacenter.

• @robocot do you know much more about your spec of your server? Just curious, it's not relating to your problem, but i'm curious what plan you're on with BlueVM.

Systems Administrator | IWFHosting

Comments expressed are solely my own opinion and not of that of the companies, unless stated.

• nabonabo Member
    edited June 2012

BTW @RoboCot, can you do a dd if=/dev/simfs/ | dd of=/backup/bck.iso as root to generate an ISO-copy of your HD or do you get access errors?

"Kids, you tried your best and failed miserably. The lesson learned is: never try."

• BlueVM answered. They said it's caused by abusers overusing space on the node and that a technician will fix it. Does this mean that disk quotas are not enforced? I dunno.

@eastonch i have a bluevm3

BLUE3 (Illinois) 256 MB of Guaranteed Ram 512 MB of Burstable RAM 2 CPU's (@2.5 Ghz+ Each) 1 IP Address 40 GB of Storage 1 TB of Bandwidth

@nabo i can't do it because i don't have /backup mounted. What's it?

• MrAndroidMrAndroid Member
    edited June 2012

@RoboCot said: Does this mean that disk quotas are not enforced? I dunno.

There is a bug in some .32 kernels with vzquota's. I

I had a VM that VZQuota thought was only using 30GB, it was actually using 520GB.

The Original Daniel.

• @daniel it could be:

uname -a Linux ikulkran 2.6.32-308.el5.028stab099.3 #1 SMP Wed Mar 7 15:56:00 MSK 2012 x86_64 GNU/Linux

• yomeroyomero Member

Indeed.

So, "users overusing space". You can't do that ¬_¬ In other words, the users are not allowed to use their assigned space?

Translation: overselling not only RAM, but even disk space.

Thanked by 1klikli
  • netomxnetomx Member

@RoboCot said: It's me or there is something wrong?

can you tell me what is wrong there?

Referral links: DigitalOcean referral link | Get 500MB free with Dropbox | I sell domains with Google Apps, $1 p/ user
  • nabonabo Member

@RoboCot said: i can't do it because i don't have /backup mounted. What's it?

I'm just interested if it is possible for you (no access restriction) to make a iso-copy from the whole filesystem for backup-purposes. The dd of= can be changed to any file you like as it is the iso generated from the filesystem.

"Kids, you tried your best and failed miserably. The lesson learned is: never try."

• @netomx said: can you tell me what is wrong there?

31Gb - 723 Mb = 5,2 Gb.

I'm not an expert in illinois math, but i suspect it's not 100% correct ;)

• netomxnetomx Member

@RoboCot said: illinois math

lol, didnt get that :(

Referral links: DigitalOcean referral link | Get 500MB free with Dropbox | I sell domains with Google Apps, $1 p/ user
  • I said illinois because my vps is there. Not intended as a pun toward you.

• camargcamarg Member

lol mine too

root@test:~# df -h
    Filesystem            Size  Used Avail Use% Mounted on
    /dev/simfs             40G  557M   19G   3% /
    tmpfs                 256M     0  256M   0% /lib/init/rw
    tmpfs                 256M     0  256M   0% /dev/shm

• yomeroyomero Member

@camarg said: lol mine too

Same node??? If is a different one... holy CRAP

• vedranvedran Moderator

It's not that bad to oversell disk space, but in that case you should monitor it and under no circumstances run out of disk space!

• camargcamarg Member

@yomero said: Same node???

don't know where can I find the node name in hypervm?

• yomeroyomero Member

@camarg said: where can I find the node name in hypervm?

Dunno, (I can't remember) but probably if you have the same IP than @Robocot to access to the vz console (don't post it xD).

Thanked by 1Kuro
  • lol! i'm going to start using all my 40GB and we'll see if I get terminated for abuse!

• i tried to dd some big files and i'm able to create them exceding the free space (0% left, but i can create more files)

• rds100rds100 Member

There is 5% fs space reserved and hidden for root by default.

• @nabo said: I'm just interested if it is possible for you (no access restriction) to make a iso-copy from the whole filesystem for backup-purposes. The dd of= can be changed to any file you like as it is the iso generated from the filesystem.

Not sure you can save an image of a filesystem on the same filesystem.

• nabonabo Member

@RoboCot said: i tried to dd some big files and i'm able to create them exceding the free space (0% left, but i can create more files)

Were you able to use the /dev/simfs/ as the input file?

• @rds100 said: There is 5% fs space reserved and hidden for root by default.

5% of 40gb is 2gb. I create 3 files of 4.3gb each.

• rds100rds100 Member

@nabo there is no /dev/simfs, this is not how OpenVZ works.

• rds100rds100 Member

@RoboCot that's 5% of the entire /vz filesystem on the node, not specific to your VPS.

• @rds100 said: @RoboCot that's 5% of the entire /vz filesystem on the node, not specific to your VPS.

This explain the results of my tests.

df update: /dev/simfs 43G 3,3G 17G 17% /

• nabonabo Member

@rds100 said: there is no /dev/simfs, this is not how OpenVZ works.

So how can I make a dd-copy from fs on OVZ?

• rds100rds100 Member

@nabo you can't. You use rsync copy. Or tar. Or something else that copies file by file.

• If your having drive issues, i'd recommend file by file rather then block by block.

The Original Daniel.

• netomxnetomx Member
    df -H
    Filesystem             Size   Used  Avail Use% Mounted on
    /dev/simfs             5.4G   752M   4.7G  14% /
    none  

Mine it's OK

• TaylorTaylor Member

I could go over my limit at bluevm, i only noticed when I got a automatic hypervm message siting in my junk mail telling me I was x over my limit.

I know, I'm Dale Maily.

• CoreyCorey Member

Guys 99% of customers use only a small percentage of their disk space. If an abuser or abusers registered several vps and maxed out 100% of disk space on all of them doing 'abusive' things like torrenting illegal files and such.... then the node can run out of disk space.

Everyone in the LEB market is overselling - any good business model includes overselling - you don't buy a powerful server with 2TB disk space and only put 50 customers on it because their 40GB needs to be available at all times. You oversell with a little bit of smarts and leave a small portion of the disk space free so that if you get the oddball customer that uses the space for a LEGIT reason.

Another thing - they might have had a bunch of suspended accounts on the server that they had not terminated yet. Suspended accounts use up hard disk space, delete all the suspended accounts and you can free up some disk space for your customers.

BitAccel - OpenVZ VPS / IRC,VPN,Anything Legal & Unrivaled Support!
    Thanked by 1klikli
  • TaylorTaylor Member

@Corey

I like my test files and download 40gb worth in a month, would that be abuse?

I know, I'm Dale Maily.

• TazTaz Disabled

@Corey said: Everyone in the LEB market is overselling - any good business model includes overselling - you don't buy a powerful server with 2TB disk space and only put 50 customers on it because their 40GB needs to Say what?

Time is good and also bad. Life is short and that is sad. Dont worry be happy thats my style. No matter what happens i won't lose my smile!

• BlueVMBlueVM Member
    edited June 2012

@Taylor said: I like my test files and download 40gb worth in a month, would that be abuse?

No it wouldn't. We get quite a few suspended accounts with DCMA take downs which we keep for 30 days after the suspension. A good 1 - 300 GB+ per node is just taken up with suspensions... It's been improving since we started filtering new clients and the space issues in general will be taken care of by our new nodes each of which will have 4 TB of storage plus backup space so we can keep our backups, our suspensions and leave plenty of room for clients.

BlueVM | Best VPS Deals [~] 1GBPS, RAID-10, OpenVZ/KVM, 8 amazing locations. [~]
  • CoreyCorey Member

@Taylor doesn't sound like it.

@NinjaHawk I don't understand your question? 'Say What' - I need a more clear question to answer.

• @Corey said: Everyone in the LEB market is overselling

Don't make assumptions about other companies. Not all of us sit and pray that our clients won't use the resources we've sold them.

• CoreyCorey Member

@Aldryic noone sits and prays - they make educated guesses and improve upon them with real experience.

If you are trying to say that buyvm doesn't oversell something then you've got to be fucking kidding me. I know fran has told me before about how many people you put on a box per package - let me dig it up.

• TazTaz Disabled

@Corey not everyone oversells. You can still make good business and profit without overselling.

Time is good and also bad. Life is short and that is sad. Dont worry be happy thats my style. No matter what happens i won't lose my smile!

• CoreyCorey Member

@NinjaHawk you are buying into this? If you don't oversell you are stupid. Bottom line! Let me find the post from @mitgib I saw the other day that summed this up very nicely.

• TazTaz Disabled

Each of my nodes have clients anywhere from 10-30 that's it.

• TazTaz Disabled

@Corey you do not need to oversell to make your living.

• CoreyCorey Member
    edited June 2012

@miTgiB said: @Maounique said: The ppl that oversell are trying to defend their position

What Cracker Jack box did you pull this idea from? ALL VPS providers oversell, it is the whole idea behind VPS, if you think otherwise, you are simply naive, or in your own words, braindead.

That's one quote but it isn't the one I was looking for. He goes as far as saying how much more money he can make per node by virtualizing it and making efficient use of the hardware (overselling it)

He runs hostigation and was #2 on the top providers vote we just had here.

Hostigation: 40 Points [HM x 3]

• I think if a provider sells you x amount of disk space you should be able to use every bit of it.

http://cheapvpsdeals.net over 80 cheap VPS deals listed, from providers in 14 countries, and 3 continents!

Thanked by 1Infinity
  • CoreyCorey Member

@taipres You are correct. I agree with you 100%.

• JoeMeritJoeMerit Member
    edited June 2012

Wow!