Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

LowEndColo: Looking for budget colocation, western US
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

LowEndColo: Looking for budget colocation, western US

geekalotgeekalot Member
edited July 2014 in Requests

Due to privacy considerations, any more specific questions/answers will be provided directly to providers via their Client Area/Sales Ticketing/Email system (please specify) as we see interesting offers posted here. Thank you in advance for any and all offers!,

I am looking for colocation (will also consider "takeover" of existing colo, or "Rent To Own" Dedicated Servers) with the following requirements:

• Western US (i.e., Las Vegas, Seattle, LA, San Diego, etc)
  • 1U, 2A @ 120v
  • at least 2TB/mo bandwidth @ 100mbps
  • free on-demand IPKVM; (we would rather use this than always-on IPMI)
  • at least /29; IPv6 would be nice but not a showstopper
  • decent uptime/reliability/power, etc
  • decent bandwidth blend
  • some nominal amount of "remote hands" included per month
  • maximum: $55 USD/mo. Paypal preferred.
  • Dallas would be considered too, but we're concerned about paying "property tax" on colo hardware as I have seen posted in some threads. We've already explored Kansas City options; don't need any suggestions there.

We are a trouble-free customer that already has a couple of US colo's and a ton of VPS's. This is to augment other locations that we already have.

We have a server ready to go right now if we find the right deal

Thanks in advance for any suggestions!

Comments

• DERAILING IN 3.. 2.. 1.. lowendcolo.com is still for sale!

In Dallas, @concerto49 may help you out. I strongly doubt you'd get that kind of pricing in LA or Seattle. In LA, power costs a lot. In Seattle, bandwidth costs a lot.

• geekalotgeekalot Member
    edited July 2014

Thanks, @serverian

Price is definitely a big factor. I am willing to make quite a few compromises as we have various locations load-balanced and this is just to add another colo to the mix.

I have been eyeing Las Vegas but haven't seen any offers posted on WHT lately. Not sure if the provider in Vegas that was having power outage problems still has those issues.

• You can of course save yourself the trouble and rent this from Fiberhub: http://lowendtalk.com/discussion/30917/versaweb-10-year-anniversary-special-dual-xeon-l5630-24gb-ram-49-ip-s-0-10ea#latest

I've not used them myself but I saw lots of people are vouching for them (i.e: Steven from Rack911, @Francisco, @qps)

You can also get a server (2xL5420, $49/mo) from QuickPacket in Las Vegas which is in Fiberhub as well.

Thanked by 1geekalot
  • Also, there is these folks: http://lowendtalk.com/discussion/31217/49-00-intel-dual-quad-core-100-unmetered-i-tb-drive-24-gb-ram-free-impi-quick-deployment#latest if you want LA.

From what I understand that brand is a budget brand of Corporate Colo (a sizable company). However, you may want to confirm that with them.

Thanked by 1geekalot
  • Thanks again @serverian. Not interested in dedicated servers (unless cost-effective rent-to-own that can match Dacentec pricing).

We want "owned" hardware.

• You may want to mail Fiberhub, QPS and Corporate Colo then. You may end up getting a good deal.

Thanked by 1geekalot
  • @serverian said:
    You may want to mail Fiberhub, QPS and Corporate Colo then. You may end up getting a good deal.

Thanks! Will also do this.

• http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showthread.php?t=1374450

Here it is: "Per U Pricing with 10Mbps $49.95" You may get away with an additional $15 for an additional ampere.

Thanked by 1geekalot
  • Just thought I would also mention that we have a server ready to go right now if we find the right deal.

Thanks again to @serverian for all the suggestions

• @geekalot - which city do you want? Do you want access/self install or do you want remote hands?

edited July 2014

@MarkTurner: Seattle or LA would probably be first choices, but Las Vegas would work as well. We have flexibility due to load-balancing and our budget constraints.

We would not need routine access; our colo's have typically been "set it and forget" scenarios. (Example: 2yrs with one of our current colo providers, 300+ days uptime before we rebooted to do some reconfiguration, probably a total of 5 requests for IPKVM in 2yrs).

However, for initial setup it would probably be hand-delivered and we would like to have it racked while we wait to ensure everything is good (whether we are permitted inside the datacenter is not a big deal as long as no setup fee; a datacenter tour would be a nice bonus though). After initial install, our setups have been super stable; we just want a cost-effective, stable provider to match.

• $55? the budget is not low. You can find some on WHT offers section.

edited July 2014

@pupavps said:
    $55? the budget is not low. You can find some on WHT offers section.

I check WHT every day. There are all sorts of catches & fine print.

Example: A provider advertising on WHT that tried to add on an extra monthly fee to be in their "premium" location in the same city (the location they specifically mention with the budget price in their WHT ad -- a classic "bait & switch"). They claimed it was a typo in their ad (a "typo" that persists in at least 4 ads through today). They thought we were hooked because we were about to close the deal after doing all our due diligence and research. However, I will not hesitate to walk away.

We just want a cost-effective, BS-free colo without any "gotchas."

When we find it, we remain a loyal, trouble-free customer for a long, long time. Period.

• qpsqps Member, Host Rep

said: maximum: $55 USD/mo

This is a tough price point with 2 amps.

• qpsqps Member, Host Rep

said: maximum: $55 USD/mo

• @Geekalot We use PhoenixNap and QuadraNet but both are out of your budget. My suggestion would be FiberHub out in Las Vegas. We used Rob for a few things and he is always great...goes out of his way to make his customers happy.

email their sales team and I am sure they can get you practically everything your asking for.

Thanked by 1geekalot
    edited July 2014

@qps said:

@qps, thanks for your response. If the pricepoint/features exist, I intend to find it.

We can sit on our existing infrastructure until we do find it. We are not in any hurry.

I've been finding it one by one (thus, the colo's we already have).

• @OnraHost said:
    Geekalot We use PhoenixNap and QuadraNet but both are out of your budget. My suggestion would be FiberHub out in Las Vegas. We used Rob for a few things and he is always great...goes out of his way to make his customers happy.

email their sales team and I am sure they can get you practically everything your asking for.

Thanks @OnraHost! Will do. No more power issues there?

• @geekalot, do you really need 2A power?

• @pupavps said:
    geekalot, do you really need 2A power?

@pupavps: Yes.

• @geekalot, I'd recommend dcsmanage.com. Contact their sales directly for colo.

Thanked by 1geekalot
  • @pupavps said:
    geekalot, I'd recommend dcsmanage.com. Contact their sales directly for colo.

Thanks @pupavps, I will look into them!

• @geekalot - I think we could do this out of LA or San Jose, the issue will be access. Both of those sites are closed sites so it would be a matter of couriering your server and have it racked by one of our techs. PM me your details and I'll try to get someone to send you a formal quote.

• serverian said: In Dallas, @concerto49 may help you out. I strongly doubt you'd get that kind of pricing in LA or Seattle. In LA, power costs a lot. In Seattle, bandwidth costs a lot.

We can do LA, but power is way expensive there. Maybe 1.5-2x. Property tax isn't that bad.

Don't think you'll get that pricing with free remote hands, free KVM rental and free a lot of things. I mean sure - you'll be looking at bad service and then why colo? Colo requires trust.

• @concerto49 said:
    Don't think you'll get that pricing with free remote hands, free KVM rental and free a lot of things. I mean sure - you'll be looking at bad service and then why colo? Colo requires trust.

@concerto49, thanks for your feedback. We already have it on the east coast and we will find it somewhere in the western US.

Honestly, I am looking for those who "can do" and we will perform the necessary vetting to ensure it is a mutually beneficial fit.

Thanks again for your input.

• geekalot said: @concerto49, thanks for your feedback. We already have it on the east coast and we will find it somewhere in the western US.

Who are you with in the East Coast?

edited July 2014

@concerto49 said:
    Who are you with in the East Coast?

Dacentec is one that I will mention. We did the whole "rent to own" thing and then upgraded the hardware and it was an excellent experience.

In fact, if they offered 1U colo in any other locations, I would probably close this thread and just send them another server. (You have to understand the weight of that statement: I believe in provider diversity and redundancy above all else; but these guys are just good and I would break that rule with them)

Obligatory anti-paranoia/anti-shill reference: I have no other relationship with Dacentec other than currently being a highly satisfied customer.

• netomxnetomx Moderator, Veteran

@MarkTurner said:
    geekalot - I think we could do this out of LA or San Jose, the issue will be access. Both of those sites are closed sites so it would be a matter of couriering your server and have it racked by one of our techs. PM me your details and I'll try to get someone to send you a formal quote.

You should mange rent-to-own

• @netomx - its actually illegal to offer credit/leasing to an individual without a consumer credit license; and if you have a fixed term contract ie rent-to-own then there are serious implications if you have to take a customer's service offline due to abuse complaints.

Technically they still have an obligation to pay for their equipment or if you deny them the right of access to the equipment then you have an issue where they have a legal interest in the equipment which they now can't enjoy.

To do it legally, its a minefield, we looked at it some time ago. Imagine we offered a lease/rent-to-own in Texas on equipment in Georgia, then legally we required to register with the Consumer Credit Commissioner in both states, but then if its done via our British company then we have to also comply with the British Consumer Credit Act.

If you can do it 'under the table' then I am sure its easy enough to do, but we can't.

Thanked by 1netomx
  • netomxnetomx Moderator, Veteran

@MarkTurner said:
    netomx - its actually illegal to offer credit/leasing to an individual without a consumer credit license; and if you have a fixed term contract ie rent-to-own then there are serious implications if you have to take a customer's service offline due to abuse complaints.

Technically they still have an obligation to pay for their equipment or if you deny them the right of access to the equipment then you have an issue where they have a legal interest in the equipment which they now can't enjoy.

To do it legally, its a minefield, we looked at it some time ago. Imagine we offered a lease/rent-to-own in Texas on equipment in Georgia, then legally we required to register with the Consumer Credit Commissioner in both states, but then if its done via our British company then we have to also comply with the British Consumer Credit Act.

If you can do it 'under the table' then I am sure its easy enough to do, but we can't.

Tl;Dr. What's the final answer? Hahaha I'm kidding. Damn, I thought I would be easier :/ and I would love some x5150 for me