Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Updated Debian 6.0: 6.0.10 released
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Updated Debian 6.0: 6.0.10 released

https://www.debian.org/News/2014/20140719
July 19th, 2014

The Debian project is pleased to announce the tenth and final update of its oldstable distribution Debian 6.0 (codename squeeze). This update mainly adds corrections for security problems to the oldstable release, along with a few adjustments for serious problems. Security advisories were already published separately and are referenced where available.

I hope some providers will take time to update their templates. I do prefer a minor choice of templates but always updated than a large selection of old images. And considering this community was Debian oriented with lots of technical savvy people, please don't forget the Debian minimal. I know squeeze is oldstable, but some guy still need that (not me) and many providers still offer that option so, considering this is the final update for 6.0, this could be the right time for a final update.

maybe i'll even try to setup a lobby group giving all our votes in quarterly polls only to providers that at least keep a Debian minimal template updated. This is LET, not Bloated-Box-Talk after all.
Seriously, if 2 or 3 other guys here want to lobby, i really will give all my votes only to providers with updated Debian stable templates.

Thanked by 1Steve81

Comments

• petrispetris Member
    edited July 2014

Does a quick "apt-get update && apt-get dist-upgrade -y" after setup not solve this? You should always update immediately after install and regularly to keep up with security updates anyway.

Thanked by 1Profforg
  • It's good if providers keep templates updated, but Debian is a good system, which does not require it.

You can even update Debian 6 to Debian 7 with just apt.

• marrcomarrco Member

i do know that, and i do keep all my servers updated. I do apt pinning or use backports when needed. But not everybody does, so also providers have to do their part. There are providers here (that i can't name) that still offer templates with known vulnerability.