Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

WTB Cheap Dedicated Server In Europe
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

WTB Cheap Dedicated Server In Europe

ztecztec Member
edited July 2014 in Requests

Hello,

I'd like to play at home with a dedicated server and then put it in a local datacenter. But I have no clue what to get on eBay. ( Second hand is good )

My budget is flexible but to start off I'd like to keep it low. But again, I have no clue what to get. Because I want to put in a datacenter I guess the size is important, together with the power drain.

I'm not looking for atoms.

I know you guys can help me with this and I hope you will!

Thank you in advance.

P.s. I forgot to mention I live in The Netherlands. So shipping costs should be considered.

Comments

• ztecztec Member

Can somebody please suggest me something that I should be looking for?

• If you only want to play around i suggest you to rent one first instead. For example from online.net or from hetzner. Then you don't have to care about hardware problems. And it's cheap. (Relatively)

• netomxnetomx Moderator, Veteran

Look for any 1U 2xXeon 16GB ram at least

• I got a dell poweredge r200 off of ebay to run vmware esxi in my home.
    And it wasn't but ~$20 buy it now price and ~$20 shipping cost.
    So I got that server and have been playing with it, since I upgraded it to have intel xeon dual core, and also have 4gb of ram in it max 8gb of ram.

• ztecztec Member
    edited July 2014

@pbalazs123 said:
    If you only want to play around i suggest you to rent one first instead. For example from online.net or from hetzner. Then you don't have to care about hardware problems. And it's cheap. (Relatively)

I have plenty of dedicated servers that I'm renting.
    That's why it's a smart move for me to start learning about the hardware so I can own them myself.

@timnboys said:
    I got a dell poweredge r200 off of ebay to run vmware esxi in my home.
    And it wasn't but ~$20 buy it now price and ~$20 shipping cost.
    So I got that server and have been playing with it, since I upgraded it to have intel xeon dual core, and also have 4gb of ram in it max 8gb of ram.

I'll check it out! Thanks!

@netomx said:
    Look for any 1U 2xXeon 16GB ram at least

Alright, thanks. I'll go check the price on that.

http://www.ebay.nl/itm/Dell-PowerEdge-1950-2x-Dual-Core-Xeon-2-66Ghz-16GB-RAM-1U-SATA-VMware-ESX-Server-/121320065200?pt=UK_Computing_Servers&hash=item1c3f3d48b0&_uhb=1

How about this one?

• Colo is a bad idea for a single server, for the cost of colocating/shipping/hardware replacement it you could just get something from soyoustart, online.net or hetzner for much cheaper.

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran
    edited July 2014

linuxthefish said: Colo is a bad idea for a single server, for the cost of colocating/shipping/hardware replacement it you could just get something from soyoustart, online.net or hetzner for much cheaper.

IF, the DC is far away, IF you do not have components at home, IF only want it for a while, IF you do not want a specific configuration or a very large one for peanuts.
    I buy dual quadcore xeons L5520 with 36 GB of ram for 400 Eur including transport and rails, those are serious machines with ipmi and all, gb network, special components for reliability, DDR3 registered and FB ram, you can get cheap raid controllers or use software for it, can use 4+ 3.5 or 2.5 drives normal sata or sas. I would rather pay 30 Eur for unlimited gb traffic and 5 IPs than 30 Eur for 100 mbps mettered, crappy old hardware, no IPMI, only some images allowed, etc. I would do colo any day.

• ztecztec Member

Maounique said: I buy dual quadcore xeons L5520 with 36 GB of ram for 400 Eur including transport and rails, those are serious machines with ipmi and all, gb network, special components for reliability, DDR3 registered and FB ram, you can get cheap raid controllers or use software for it, can use 4+ 3.5 or 2.5 drives normal sata or sas.

Also possible in Europe?

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

Be careful with those as it looks like scsi drives (those 146 gb and the like), you would like a server with more modern controllers, SAS/SATA.
    The SCSI drives cost a lot are old and you should definitely avoid those servers.

• netomxnetomx Moderator, Veteran

@ztec said:

Seems nice, except the price :p

• ztecztec Member

@Maounique said:
    Be careful with those as it looks like scsi drives (those 146 gb and the like), you would like a server with more modern controllers, SAS/SATA.
    The SCSI drives cost a lot are old and you should definitely avoid those servers.

Alright, thanks for the warning.

Thanked by 1netomx
  • FalzoFalzo Member

@Maounique said:
    I would rather pay 30 Eur for unlimited gb traffic and 5 IPs ...

would you mind sharing where to colo at those prices? ;-)

• @Falzo said:

Voxility.

Thanked by 1Falzo