Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Which location do you preffer
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Which location do you preffer

infolinkinfolink Member
edited July 2014 in General

Hello,

Which of these locations would you prefer to buy a VPS in:
1. Washington D.C. (Ashburn)
2. Atlanta, GA
3. Phoenix, AZ
Please vote in the pool and let me know about your arguments in the comments.

Thanks,
Alec

Which one of these locations would you prefer for a VPS?
  1. Which one of these locations would you prefer for a VPS?70 votes
    1. Washington D.C. (Ashburn)
      61.43%
    2. Atlanta, GA
      18.57%
    3. Phoenix, AZ
      20.00%

Comments

• RA4WRA4W Member

There is way to many Atlanta providers already so probaly Phoenix or Washington.

• @RA4W Thanks for your opinion.

• BradBrad Member

I've never actually had a server in Washington D.C so it would be interesting. Phoenix is not a bad choice either.

• @Brad The disadvantage about Phoenix is that it backhauls into LA directly, while Washinton D.C. is the biggest internet hub on the east coast (due to WorldCom).

• KrisKris Member
    edited July 2014

IAD gives you better bandwidth / connectivity options to major IX's on the East Coast.

7 ms from NY(C).

• Washington D.C

• NekkiNekki Veteran

I'd give consideration to something in DC. Gotta get more green circles.

Thanked by 1mpkossen
  • Thanks for your votes. So it'll be Washington D.C. (Ashburn).
    @Kris However we'll most likely not use IAD, but another DC in Ashburn.

Thanked by 1Kris
  • wychwych Member

@Nekki said:
    I'd give consideration to something in DC. Gotta get more green circles.

How many circles you on now?

• NekkiNekki Veteran

@wych said:
    How many circles you on now?

22 little, 2 medium, 1 big.

• amhoabamhoab Member

infolink said: while Washinton D.C. is the biggest internet hub on the east coast (due to WorldCom).

I used to work for this company (AKA Verizon) in Ashburn. They definitely have TONS of connectivity in the area, but that's true with all of the Ashburn/Sterling/Dulles Airport area--every other building is a datacenter, it seems.

• @amhoab said:
    I used to work for this company (AKA Verizon) in Ashburn. They definitely have TONS of connectivity in the area, but that's true with all of the Ashburn/Sterling/Dulles Airport area--every other building is a datacenter, it seems.

Must have been a cool job. I wonder why there aren't more hosting providers in this area, as there are so many DC's there. Equinix has a large campus in Washington DC as well.

• netrixnetrix Member

+1 Phoenix, AZ. Good ping from Asia.

• amhoabamhoab Member

infolink said: I wonder why there aren't more hosting providers in this area, as there are so many DC's there.

I don't have any data to back this up, but my guess is that those DCs are more expensive. Despite there being so many of them, there's a ton of demand there, too, and those DCs are more often than not "premium," and with many focused on their federal clients.

Equinix and Google are right around the corner from Verizon as well, as is Facebook in DFT.

• @amhoab said:
    Equinix and Google are right around the corner from Verizon as well, as is Facebook in DFT.

Of course these DCs are more expensive than something in Atlanta, but you can get a good deal with some providers like Voxility.

• I prefer Phoenix, AZ

• @FirstVM_com Why do you prefer Phoenix?

• fitvpnfitvpn Member

Still looking for Alaska, Hawaii and Puerto Rico

• I have a server in Ashburn :)

• @Jeffrey With which provider and in which DC?

• said: Hello

Hi :)

Why do I get 403 Forbidden for most pages on your site?

e.g. http://fyrehosting.com/cloud-servers/

• shovenoseshovenose Member, Host Rep

@sleddog said:

First I got 403, then I ended up port 8080

• Service based out of Norway would be nice, but sticking to the list I'd like to see Phoenix get more love. I'm from Phoenix and would like to see more technical industry here.

• AlexanderMAlexanderM Member, Top Host, Host Rep

I phoned the number 1-855-226-3846 and it's just a voice mail which asks for an extension.

• Ashburn is Virginia, not D.C.

• @sleddog @shovenose It's fixed now, it was an issue with the Varnish cache.
    @AlexanderM The phone support will be fully setup within 2 weeks.
    @mpkossen Many providers have their datacenter in Ashburn and advertise it as Washington D.C., SoftLayer is just one example.

• infolink said: Many providers have their datacenter in Ashburn and advertise it as Washington D.C., SoftLayer is just one example.

I'd love it if their IPs have the same geo-location.

• @jimmyvu It all depends on the address that they use in the WHOIS and finding a datacenter in Washington itself would be pretty hard, since even large providers like Equinix have their Washington facilities in Ashburn or Mansas.

• Washington D.C. is good choice and it is leading here with large scale

• jmaxjmax Member

InfoRelay operates 4 data centers in the washington dc/ashburn area. An increasing number of businesses are making use of server housing and bandwidth services as Washington DC grows to be the biggest internet hub on the east coast.

http://www.inforelay.com/services/data-centers/northern-va