Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is the word "gmail" in a domain copyright voilation?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Is the word "gmail" in a domain copyright voilation?

TheKillerTheKiller Member
edited July 2014 in General

I want to register a domain name contain a word "gmail".

For example:
gmail.org
gmail.net
gmail.biz

Only gmail.com is at Google Mail.

All other extensions have something other on it.

What does this means? Should it be infringement if the domain like above is registered?
I want to ask you if I register a domain with word "gmail" in the domain, will this be copyright violation?

Comments

• rds100rds100 Member

Well, if your domain is "frogmail.com" for instance - i doubt it would be a copyright violation, although it contains the word "gmail" in it.

• rds100 said: Well, if your domain is "frogmail.com" for instance - i doubt it would be a copyright violation, although it contains the word "gmail" in it.

yep the domain is something like that i.e, "egmail.net"

• i'd rather not take the risk.

• Yes, you're violating it. The fact you've put e in front of it quite possibly means something to do with email, and therefore gmail. What are you going to use this domain for?

• 0xdragon said: What are you going to use this domain for?

I just have a domain with the word gmail in it like "egmail.net". I will post content about email services available on the net.

• TheKillerTheKiller Member
    edited July 2014

0xdragon said: Yes, you're violating it. The fact you've put e in front of it quite possibly means something to do with email, and therefore gmail. What are you going to use this domain for?

What about gmail.net, gmail.org? Is this not violation?

• ChuckChuck Member

Dungmail or fragmail.

• 0xdragon0xdragon Member
    edited July 2014

@TheKiller said:
    What about gmail.net, gmail.org? Is this not violation?

Yes they are all violations. Seek permission from google or risk it.

• wychwych Member

What 0xdragon said.

• comXyzcomXyz Member

how about googles.com?

• wychwych Member

@c1bl said:
    how about googles.com?

Someone beat you...

Domain Name: GOOGLES.COM
       Registrar: GODADDY.COM, LLC
       Whois Server: whois.godaddy.com
       Referral URL: http://registrar.godaddy.com
       Name Server: NS21.DOMAINCONTROL.COM
       Name Server: NS22.DOMAINCONTROL.COM
       Updated Date: 09-mar-2014
       Creation Date: 18-jul-1997
       Expiration Date: 17-jul-2016

• ChuckChuck Member

@wych said:

The connection was reset.

• wychwych Member

@Chuck said:
    The connection was reset.

• tchentchen Member

It's not a copyright issue. What you're looking for is 'trademark and trade dress'. Specifically cybersquatting and dilution will be brought up as concerns if they decide to go against you - which likely as it sounds like you're purposely trying to provide counterfeit or competitive services using their branding / advertising dollars.

Some TLD domains are squatted on and enforcement isn't carried out simply because the squatters make it very clear that it's not affiliated with the original entity (like that shown above). Their lack of enforcement on benign squatters doesn't imply you're clear to go ahead.

Thanked by 2c0y TheKiller
  • tchen said: It's not a copyright issue. What you're looking for is 'trademark and trade dress'. Specifically cybersquatting and dilution will be brought up as concerns if they decide to go against you - which likely as it sounds like you're purposely trying to provide counterfeit or competitive services using their branding / advertising dollars.

Some TLD domains are squatted on and enforcement isn't carried out simply because the squatters make it very clear that it's not affiliated with the original entity (like that shown above). Their lack of enforcement on benign squatters doesn't imply you're clear to go ahead.

+1. The only better answer i got in this post. Thanks

• gmail.cn run well for long time here.