Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

FileMedia.de vs DigitalOcean
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

FileMedia.de vs DigitalOcean

Is there someone who used both of these providers?

Comments

• No. no one uses multiple providers. j/k :)

• qm78qm78 Member

hint: compare filemedia and DO benchmarks at serverbear.com or get a test vps and run your own serverbear benchmark.

I've been with filemedia, but as they moved away from solusvm to proxmox, I moved to colorhost.de with the result of higher benchmark results at a better price/value. So probably have a look to colorhost.de, too ;-)

Both, filemedia and colorhost offer awesome support. Don't know how good DO support is.

Thanked by 1Colorhost
  • jvnadrjvnadr Member
    edited July 2014

I use DO for a while, just started to use filemedia a couple of days before. Impressions: DO is very simple with preconfigured plans, similar to traditional vps, but with a different charging system: you pay only for what you have online or in backup. FIlemedia is more complicated system, more configurable, very scalable but with a flat montly payment that gives you the ability to use standard resources, divided to more than one single box.

Both providers are very stable, with a very good network. DO has more locations, and a flat rate without discount but with initial free credits, while filemedia has some extremely nice permanent offers that are reccuring I bought the 10.5€ per year 512MB plan from an offer here in LET, is working like a charm.

• artvartv Member

Filemedia is perfectly fine. :)
    Have a VPS with them in Nueremberg (for about 4 months) and never had a single issue.
    *** I could say the same about DO. :) *** The main 3 differences I can underline here:
    *With Filemedia you can get more resources for approx. the same money;
    *DO support response time is much better (not that I have needed serious help from their support);
    *It is far faster to restore a snapshot on DO droplet.

I am sure you will be happy with both of them but it is always better to try yourself
    and see which one works better for you. :)

• fileMEDIAfileMEDIA Member
    edited July 2014

Thanks!

DO is very simple. Our system is more complex but offers more settings. So you should have some knowledge about administration. But this will be change in about 4 weeks when we open our cloudstack enterprise environment for all customers. Waiting only for additional Infiniband switches..

• jvnadrjvnadr Member

fileMEDIA said: ut this will be change in about 4 weeks when we open our cloudstack enterprise environment for all customers.

Is this affecting your current system's functionality? I mean, there are a lot of options, tons of iso's (even if they are not clear to choose them) etc.

• heihachi88heihachi88 Member
    edited July 2014

Thanks for reviews! @fileMEDIA when you will have some free space in frankfurt? I want to try your 80GB plan. DO is fine, i agree, but too low on storage.. That's why Filemedia is looking more attractive to me now. I just wanted to know, how good is filemedia if compared to DO.

• Both systems are available, you can decide which one. We offer for our customers (bigger companies at the moment) a cloudstack environment on xenserver and infiniband. This offers more functionality then our system can at the moment. You will also have ISOs, HA, snapshots, elastic ips, private networks, different instances,..

• @fileMEDIA, so can i order now 80GB plan? Your sales support didn't answered me about the stock in frankfurt.

edited July 2014

heihachi88 said: when you will have some free space in frankfurt?

I hope next week, servers are ready but must racked first. We got lot's of orders in the last days. First we must deliver the ordered dedicated servers and PIs this week.

Heavy load at the moment and lot of servers to rack :)

edited July 2014

heihachi88 said: so can i order now 80GB plan?

Do you have a ticket id? I don't see a ticket for it.
    Do you mean SSD or HDD?

• @fileMEDIA, i mean SSD i got response now. So you don't have any VPS to play with it?

• HDD plans are available in both locations. More stock is available in frankfurt at the moment.

edited July 2014

Can you reserve 1 SSD VPS for me? And it says 29 euros. But as far as i know, i have to pay VAT? How much with VAT? Though i am not from Europe. Also on 29euro plan - it is possible to increase ram later? e.g. from 4gb to 8gb.

• Sorry we have a FIFO queue :) Subscribe our twitter channel and you will informed when it's available again and enough time to order.

• @fileMEDIA said:
    Sorry we have a FIFO queue :) Subscribe our twitter channel and you will informed when it's available again and enough time to order.

Well, what about VAT and ram?

• VAT is charged to all customers. All resources are upgradeable.

• @fileMEDIA said:
    VAT is charged to all customers. All resources are upgradeable.

How much VAT i will get with 29euro plan?

• @fileMEDIA, please answer on ticket #662992 that's the last question for today :)

• linuxthefishlinuxthefish Member
    edited July 2014

Does anyone have dd tests from hdd and ssd plans for filemedia?

• trexostrexos Member
    edited July 2014

@linuxthefish said:
    Does anyone have dd tests from hdd and ssd plans for filemedia?

root@kvm05 ./bench.sh CPU model : Common KVM processor Number of cores : 1 CPU frequency : 3300.020 MHz Total amount of ram : 502 MB Total amount of swap : 879 MB System uptime : 12 min, Download speed from CacheFly: 81.5MB/s Download speed from Coloat, Atlanta GA: 14.8MB/s Download speed from Softlayer, Dallas, TX: 16.1MB/s Download speed from Linode, Tokyo, JP: 485KB/s Download speed from i3d.net, Rotterdam, NL: 55.3MB/s Download speed from Leaseweb, Haarlem, NL: 65.7MB/s Download speed from Softlayer, Singapore: 7.44MB/s Download speed from Softlayer, Seattle, WA: 16.9MB/s Download speed from Softlayer, San Jose, CA: 15.2MB/s Download speed from Softlayer, Washington, DC: 27.8MB/s I/O speed : 135 MB/s

HDD plan in FRA.

Thanked by 1linuxthefish
  • dynwebdynweb Member

Serverbear (both on SSD):

Nuremberg
    http://serverbear.com/benchmark/2014/07/09/HZCrAYzHG6OB9zNX

Frankfurt
    http://serverbear.com/benchmark/2014/07/10/m9u5COb7uXbeUhKm

HD is 10GB each, don't believe Serverbear ;-)

Thanked by 1linuxthefish
  • DO support not good, I think if you come from Germany, fileMedia's good choice.
    one more option's Ramnode :D

• artvartv Member
    **FileMedia - Nueremberg (2GB Ram, SSD)**
    ./bench.sh
    CPU model :  Common KVM processor
    Number of cores : 3
    CPU frequency :  2266.776 MHz
    Total amount of ram : 2012 MB
    Total amount of swap : 3747 MB
    System uptime :   1 day, 2:17,       
    Download speed from CacheFly: 37.9MB/s 
    Download speed from Coloat, Atlanta GA: 5.24MB/s 
    Download speed from Softlayer, Dallas, TX: 6.58MB/s 
    Download speed from Linode, Tokyo, JP: 3.26MB/s 
    Download speed from i3d.net, Rotterdam, NL: 11.4MB/s
    Download speed from Leaseweb, Haarlem, NL: 31.4MB/s 
    Download speed from Softlayer, Singapore: 2.29MB/s 
    Download speed from Softlayer, Seattle, WA: 5.37MB/s 
    Download speed from Softlayer, San Jose, CA: 4.99MB/s 
    Download speed from Softlayer, Washington, DC: 8.77MB/s 
    I/O speed :  141 MB/s

**DO - Netherland (512MB Ram, SSD)**
    ./bench.sh
    CPU model :  QEMU Virtual CPU version 1.0
    Number of cores : 1
    CPU frequency :  1999.997 MHz
    Total amount of ram : 497 MB
    Total amount of swap : 511 MB
    System uptime :   14 min,       
    Download speed from CacheFly: 7.19MB/s 
    Download speed from Coloat, Atlanta GA: 10.1MB/s 
    Download speed from Softlayer, Dallas, TX: 14.9MB/s 
    Download speed from Linode, Tokyo, JP: 7.63MB/s 
    Download speed from i3d.net, Rotterdam, NL: 106MB/s
    Download speed from Leaseweb, Haarlem, NL: 51.2MB/s 
    Download speed from Softlayer, Singapore: 6.16MB/s 
    Download speed from Softlayer, Seattle, WA: 13.9MB/s 
    Download speed from Softlayer, San Jose, CA: 11.4MB/s 
    Download speed from Softlayer, Washington, DC: 22.2MB/s 
    I/O speed :  253 MB/s

edited July 2014

@artv, thanks. From benchmark it seems like DO is twice better than filemedia. I/O and internet speed is much better on DO.

• Just tested I/O on filemedia 20GB HDD PLAN:

[root@sv ~]# dd if=/dev/zero of=test bs=64k count=16k conv=fdatasync
    16384+0 records in
    16384+0 records out
    1073741824 bytes (1.1 GB) copied, 8.07783 s, 133 MB/s

Then on DO 30GB SSD PLAN:

[web@srv ~]$ dd if=/dev/zero of=test bs=64k count=16k conv=fdatasync
    16384+0 records in
    16384+0 records out
    1073741824 bytes (1.1 GB) copied, 5.84752 s, 184 MB/s

DO's ssd just 50MB/s faster?!

• NyrNyr Community Contributor, Veteran

Come on, guys. Benchmarks aren't representative for quality.

Specially disk benchmarks within KVM, since you can tweak plenty of settings in the system if you want pretty numbers.