Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What software & hardware structure is best for hosting?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

What software & hardware structure is best for hosting?

hello all again,

Still doin my research before setting myself up properly. Im wondering what software setups people use? As in backend stuff. im trying to find the best/common situation that you established hosts use.

from what i can see whcms looks to be the thing everyone uses, supported buy some vps panel or cpanel.

and if im not mistaken the whcms, cpanel master and vps master seem to be on one machine with nodes from them for each service, correct me if im wrong tho

so as i see it a typical/advanced setup would be like this:

Main server | whmcs, cpanel master, vps panel mast, mysql sev + client, apache/nginx

database server | mysql, phpmyadmin

nameservers | bind, mysql replication

mail server | mysql, dovecot/courier

nodes | vps clients, (apache/nginx, phpmyadmin, mysql) ()= shared hosting only

would i be correct in thinking this?

Comments

• Awmusic12635Awmusic12635 Member, Host Rep

Don't put all your panels on one server. Also cPanel doesn't have a master

• jhjh Member

What hardware are you thinking of and which customers will you be targeting?

I would stay away from WHMCS if you're starting now. There are other, more promising/future-friendly options e.g. Blesta.

• @jhadley said:
    What hardware are you thinking of and which customers will you be targeting?

I would stay away from WHMCS if you're starting now. There are other, more promising/future-friendly options e.g. Blesta.

never seen blesta before looks kinda nice! hardware wise will be dedicated machines min of 4 cores with raid hdd and 8gb ram all with gbps uplinks

• VPS's from well knows hosts for your main site, billing/email server, backup mail server, VPS master server and backup service/VPS.

Then a ton of cPanel/SolusVM nodes depending on the service you are running.

Thanked by 1ginner159
  • ZweiTigerZweiTiger Member
    edited July 2014

We use Interworx + Premium Softcalous + Cloudlinux + Litespeed , Main website is another server.

Client system is Blesta

So i not prefer cpanel and whmcs thats why we use alternative things. Check it.. its better. Like android vs apple. We use apple , i mean i think that... :)

WHMCS - there is many shit modules. At blesta you could only find quality modules and things. Stable. Not like whmcs every day a new patch.

Interworx - Solid , not has new things like nginx and mariadb but very stable , and the things are working very well.

Thats why i think i use apple :) (in the real , too)

If cpanel there is many alternative... nginx and etc. If interworx you dont have (mariadb or etc nginx.)

Ask if you need anything.

Also make backaps every day...

• @ZweiTiger can I ask how they all integrate? Does blesta do auto provisions on client payments? Can it monitor server usage like whmcs and spread the load?

• BrianHarrisonBrianHarrison Member, Patron Provider

@ginner159 said:
    ZweiTiger can I ask how they all integrate? Does blesta do auto provisions on client payments? Can it monitor server usage like whmcs and spread the load?

If integrating with disparate systems is a priority for you (i.e., not interesting in writing your own integration with APIs), then WHMCS ought to be high on your list.

• @BrianHarrison said:
    If integrating with disparate systems is a priority for you (i.e., not interesting in writing your own integration with APIs), then WHMCS ought to be high on your list.

I don't mind api's was just curious how he's got it all working in unison lol

• @ginner159 said:
    ZweiTiger can I ask how they all integrate? Does blesta do auto provisions on client payments? Can it monitor server usage like whmcs and spread the load?

Yes Blesta has an interworx module which is okay... username/pass/direct login button without enter the data details. Also you could see your shared plan statics but nothing more.

Iworx and blesta rocks :)

• CoreyCorey Member

@ginner159 said:

WHMCS 'server usage' monitoring sucks, unless I guess you are talking about shared hosting then I think it will spread customers among many nodes.

• @Corey said:
    WHMCS 'server usage' monitoring sucks, unless I guess you are talking about shared hosting then I think it will spread customers among many nodes.

sorta i've seen in demo videos of whcms that you can set x amount of customers max to a node and it will fill that node until full then use the next available one or spread accounts across them so wondered if blesta can do the same as i cant really tell from the documentation

• CoreyCorey Member

ginner159 said: sorta i've seen in demo videos of whcms that you can set x amount of customers max to a node and it will fill that node until full then use the next available one or spread accounts across them so wondered if blesta can do the same as i cant really tell from the documentation

Really you shouldn't be relying on your billing software to do this. If you absolutely need this functionality look for it in a panel or create/modify your own provisioning module for the billing system.

• @Corey said:
    Really you shouldn't be relying on your billing software to do this. If you absolutely need this functionality look for it in a panel or create/modify your own provisioning module for the billing system.

I wouldn't be relying on it, just seemed a nice feature to have incase I wasn't able to check up on available resources ( illness or internet outage )