Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Hosted email
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Hosted email

This is what I have: 4 domains. 1 domain is on google apps, 1 domain is on outlook.com (with custom domain), and the other 2 are forwarded to the other 2.

He is my problem: I am done with google hosting my stuff, and outlook is getting rid of my free domain.

I am looking for either a) a solid email provider for a reasonable price, or 2) a self hosted solution. I can forward all my domains to one provider, but I need to be able to "send as" the other domains without looking like a spammer... So I am willing to modify my TXT/MX records to be proper.

What does anyone suggest?

Thanks.

Comments

• Zoho?

Thanked by 1perennate
  • Zoho works wonderfully, but if you need more than 10 users, then Yandex wil cover you for a long, long time.

• You can look at MXroute.

• I use fea.st, Dot.al amd HostOnARope services for email hosting.

Aye, and self-hosted solution running on a VPS, as a backup. All works fine.

Thanked by 1Tammy
  • RaymiiRaymii Member
    edited July 2014

Rackspace works good. OBoth hosted exchange or their own webmail. Otherwise, a basic vps with postfix, dovecot and roundcube? Directadmin had this all.

• StevieStevie Member

@etcSudoers
    http://mxroute.com/#plans

10 gig space @ only $1 a year, I got it and seems good.

• I wouldnt mind using something like postfix and doing it myself. My concern is how to setup my email/dns enough that I dont look like a spammer. I know with like mailgun/gmail/outlook you sendup your TXT records to verify that you are truly from that domain, etc...
    Anyone have suggestions on doing it yourself and avoid being flagged as spam? I send like a max of 5 emails a day.

• RaymiiRaymii Member

That is quite simple. Make sure reverse dns matches, both ipv4 and v6, set up spf and don't send spam. Thats the basis, will keep you out of spamboxes.

• @Raymii said:
    That is quite simple. Make sure reverse dns matches, both ipv4 and v6, set up spf and don't send spam. Thats the basis, will keep you out of spamboxes.

^ This. And don't forget DKIM!

• RaymiiRaymii Member
    edited July 2014

@Hooligan said:
    ^ This. And don't forget DKIM!

Not yet required for Gmail, hotmail or Yahoo. Spf and reverse DNs are enough. However, never bad to turn on.

• HooliganHooligan Member
    edited July 2014

Raymii's right again, however you should enable it too, it's for your protection after all.

In case you want to configure DKIM with Postfix, DigitalOcean has a nice tutorial to do so on Debian.

Thanked by 1Raymii
  • MxRoute use Vestacp as a base, it supports DKIM etc, so if you have access to set rDNS, you can host your own

• RaymiiRaymii Member

I've recently migrated a friend from hosted outlook to a simpele directadmin vps with roundcube and kolab. He wanted to control his own data. Daily backup to his Pi, rdns, dkim, spf and ipv6 setup, had been running for 4 months now and he's happy.

• I have tried self-hosting my mail, but unless you want to have a lot of potential headaches, I would not go that route. If you do not want any type of spam filtering then, outside of RBL, self-hosting may be an easy option. Make sure that your server is not an open relay! RoundCube is really nice.

I recently gave Zoho Mail a try, but I quickly moved on once I began working with there webmail interface. I spent a few weeks with Office 365's Exchange Online Plan 1 and the service was not very reliable. Either I would have an issue connecting with my Android devices, or my outbound mail would be delayed.

After I ruled out Office 365, and Zoho Mail, I only had a few options left. MxRoute looks like a good service, but currently does not offer support for sending messages from alias addresses. This was a deal breaker for me. I do not give out my actual email address, instead I give out an alias address that I can disable at any time.

I migrated over to FastMail a few weeks ago, and I have been very happy with their service. They just completed adding a calendar to their webmail interface, and CardDAV will be available soon allowing users to sync contacts across devices. While FastMail has good documentation, support is not always quick to reply.

• so you're saying that with mxroute, I can forward all my domains to one domain, but I can not send as those domains?

• caperailfancaperailfan Member
    edited July 2014

My current understanding is that if you create [email protected], and add an alias address for that mailbox [email protected], with MxRoute you will only be able to send mail using [email protected], the primary mailbox. This also means that if you forward [email protected] to [email protected], MxRoute will not allow you to send mail out as [email protected] using webmail at least.

However if you create two separate mailboxes and use Thunderbird for your mail, you would be able to send from both addresses. They would appear as two separate accounts with Thunderbird.

With FastMail I am able to forward mail to my FastMail address from other providers, this is in addition to being able to use my own domain, and creating alias address for my domain. Then when using the FastMail webmail, FastMail will send any outgoing messages through the providers SMTP server. This prevents any problems with DKIM, DMARC, and SPF.

• cassacassa Member

@etcSudoers said:
    so you're saying that with mxroute, I can forward all my domains to one domain, but I can not send as those domains?

You can do both

• PwnerPwner Member

@Raymii said:

And don't use any CC IPs.

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

caperailfan said: My current understanding is that if you create [email protected], and add an alias address for that mailbox [email protected], with MxRoute you will only be able to send mail using [email protected], the primary mailbox. This also means that if you forward [email protected] to [email protected], MxRoute will not allow you to send mail out as [email protected] using webmail at least.

Correct, but you can create e-mail addresses instead of aliases that forward to the primary account and then send from one of those if you want, while receiving all of your mail in one inbox.

• artvartv Member

@etcSudoers I had the same dilemma few weeks ago (self hosted solution vs 3rd party email provider),
    Checked all providers suggested above but I prefer a provider based in Europe.
    Somehow found a company based in Norway: https://runbox.com/ and I am completely
    satisfied with their "Medium" plan. The setup is a bit odd (especially if you move from cPanel)
    but actually it works very well.
    They have 30-days free trial, so you can easily try them.

• shovenoseshovenose Member, Host Rep

Rackspace, not free but the best.

• anyone know of cheapish shared hosting plans?

• Of course it's assumed, but if setting up your own email services, don't forget about

• antivirus scanning (e.g., using ClamAV)
    • good adaptive spam detector (persoanlly, I have good experience with Dspam)

@theduncan said:
    anyone know of cheapish shared hosting plans?

For email?
    I use AltusHost. Quite inexpensive and very reliable. Also, HostONARope will do fine.