Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Debian vs CentOS what's the difference? is there a vmpanel for debian?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Debian vs CentOS what's the difference? is there a vmpanel for debian?

ginner159ginner159 Member
edited July 2014 in General

Hello again all,

ive been using debian for a while now and im pretty comfortable with it. Im wanting to setup some virtual machines and from what i gather and have used before solusvm is the best panel to use but, it requires centos which ive not used before.

Whats the difference between them? would there be a big learning curve?

Comments

• J1021J1021 Member

Commands are different, i.e. you can pretty much use the same commands across Debian and Ubuntu, but the same won't work with CentOS.

Thanked by 1ginner159
  • I started with CentOS, ended up liking Debian and Ubuntu a lot more

Both are good distro's though, you could just mess around a bit with CentOS?

• @joodle said:
    I started with CentOS, ended up liking Debian and Ubuntu a lot more

Both are good distro's though, you could just mess around a bit with CentOS?

its the same for me! messing with ubuntu as a kid and now using debian. does anyone know a good vm panel i could use with debian?

• souensouen Member

The syntax for a number of commands are different but often close enough to pick up very easily, e.g. yum install pkg vs. apt-get install pkg, service servicename start vs. /etc/init.d/servicename start, etc.

Debian uses a little less memory from my experience so far, which could be a consideration for small vps (128 MB RAM). You may find some packages are not available in the main CentOS repos, easily remedied by adding additional repos (EPEL). There are more under-the-hood differences that others would be better able to explain, but from an end-user perspective, there's not much learning curve switching between the two.

Thanked by 1ginner159
  • @souen
    is the file structure essentially the same? my plan is to have whmcs with solusvm for virtual machines and have a shared hosting option also (ispconfig3 for example)

• souensouen Member
    edited July 2014

@ginner159: For the most part, with some differences, e.g. /etc/sysconfig contains config files for things like iptables and network. (This page has the file structure overview, section on /etc/sysconfig here.) Another example is Apache, /etc/httpd/conf/httpd.conf (CentOS) vs. /etc/apache2/apache2.conf (or something like that for Debian)

CentOS is well-supported though, there are a lot of guides and such out there so it shouldn't be a problem.

• Proxmox is free and works with debian, and I think Feathur support for Debian might be possible soon,

• SaahibSaahib Host Rep, Veteran

@ginner159 said:
    its the same for me! messing with ubuntu as a kid and now using debian. does anyone know a good vm panel i could use with debian?

As @linuxthefish said, Proxmox VE is what you need, go for its ISO install, everything will be ready out of box including webmanagement and so..

However, if you are going to make few VMs then you can go plain vanilla, without any panel.. works good unless you don't have lots of node to manage, then you need solus or Proxmox like to make life easier.

• Use Debian, naked.

Thanked by 2marrco tux
  • @linuxthefish said:
    Proxmox is free and works with debian, and I think Feathur support for Debian might be possible soon,

My dedi provider has an option to install proxmox. What's it like for billing? Can it be set to auto creation if a client signs up? The website isn't that great at explaining that sorta stuff

• @ginner159 said:
    My dedi provider has an option to install proxmox. What's it like for billing? Can it be set to auto creation if a client signs up? The website isn't that great at explaining that sorta stuff

Yes, it's possible with WHMCS and I think a few hosts have used it here before. http://www.whmcs.com/appstore/517/proxmox-full-automation.html

• Its about yum and apt