Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

BlueVM, finally improving! (postive review)
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

BlueVM, finally improving! (postive review)

BoxodeBoxode Member
edited July 2014 in Reviews

I never personally really never liked BlueVM - but as of lately they've improved quite a bit. Reply times are faster, uptime is a lot more better & quality of service is excellent for the pricing.

ColoCrossing - Atlanta (response times) [BlueVM OVZ VPS]

AU (Sydney): Average = 221ms

EU (Netherlands): Average = 121ms

UK (Hampshire): Average = 136ms

EU (Lithuania): Average = 147ms

EU (Italy): Average = 128ms

US (Atlanta): Average = 4ms

US (Ohio): Average = 41ms

US (NYC): Average = 14ms

AS (Singapore): Average = 242 ms

HDD performance

Pretty standard. 93MB/s on a smaller file. 173MB/s on a larger, 1.1GB file. Excellent HDD speed.

CPU performance

CPU performance is great, no overselling & spot-on.

Overselling

I had seen some overselling before (5 months ago) and it appears they've sorted their things out now. CPU tests don't indicate any overselling, ram looks fine & I/O is spot on.

Final notations

Whilst BlueVM have a long path to go, they've improved by quite a considerable amount. CPU is excellent, network is spot on (regardless that its ColoCrossing) & I/O is perfect for a HDD setup. I still wouldn't deploy any production services on BlueVM; but its an excellent "bang for buck" provider.

Comments

• StevieStevie Member

@viCommunications

Got a new job there?

• BoxodeBoxode Member

Stevie said: Got a new job there?

No.

• NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran

How much did you got for that review?

• RBHRBH Member

Lol everything is coming back at him like a boomerang

• BoxodeBoxode Member
    edited July 2014

Comment withdrawn.

Let's keep it civil here guys. It's a review.

• NekkiNekki Veteran

@viCommunications said:
    Do you even Englesh? @Nekki Isle 3 clean up.

Not a mod.

• BoxodeBoxode Member

Nekki said: Not a mod.

I miss saying it :(

• netomxnetomx Moderator, Veteran

@viCommunications said:
    Comment withdrawn.

Let's keep it civil here guys. It's a review.

Please, try not to edit your own posts, it seems you can't even get your thoughts right

Thanked by 1mpkossen
  • FredQcFredQc Member

How can you tell that the servers are not oversold ? You have no proof of that. Even if you are doing tests.

Thanked by 1Jeffrey
  • Wow @viCommunications posted a review backed by actual documentation. You guys crucified him. Does every review have to bash somebody into the dirt? This kind of reaction will cause people to not write reviews.

Thanked by 1Jeffrey
  • matthewvzmatthewvz Member, Host Rep

I don't like this guy as much as the next but he actually didn't bash anyone and actually tried to do a positive post. You all must be hungry for more drama or something.

• That's what I am saying , @viCommunications posted a positive review and he got royally bashed.

• Why is latency to Italy lower than the UK?

• BoxodeBoxode Member
    edited July 2014

hostnoob said: Why is latency to Italy lower than the UK?

I used a ping-test service that offered the icmp reply times. Not too sure though. The VPS itself is pretty snappy and I'm thousands of miles away from the node itself.

• edited July 2014

@viCommunications said:
    I'm hundreds of thousands of miles away from the node itself.

The earth is only approximately 25,000 miles in circumference around the equator.

Edit: Nevermind, though I'll leave this statement for earthling reference.

• ^ What you don't understand is that he is not from this planet.

• thharristhharris Member
    edited July 2014

wow sounds alot better then my buffalo blue3 vps

CPU model : Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E3-1270 V2 @ 3.50GHz Number of cores : 3 CPU frequency : 3500.080 MHz Total amount of ram : 1024 MB Total amount of swap : 2048 MB System uptime : 1 day, 23:23, Download speed from CacheFly: 59.8KB/s Download speed from Coloat, Atlanta GA: 136KB/s Download speed from Softlayer, Dallas, TX: 227KB/s Download speed from Linode, Tokyo, JP: 262KB/s Download speed from i3d.net, Rotterdam, NL: 179KB/s Download speed from Leaseweb, Haarlem, NL: 998KB/s Download speed from Softlayer, Singapore: 62.7KB/s Download speed from Softlayer, Seattle, WA: 151KB/s Download speed from Softlayer, San Jose, CA: 122KB/s Download speed from Softlayer, Washington, DC: 154KB/s I/O speed : 42.7 MB/s

• While I do not personally like the OP ( considering recent events and the attacks... etc ) ; I can't fault him much for this review. It's a review, and we shouldn't be crucifying someone for a review of service.

Now, if he wasn't actually a customer; then you could crucify him. Otherwise, most reviews are fair game; and while they may be opinions + benchmarks in most cases ( not really evidence or empirical in any way ) ; it's still a review and should be respected as such.

As much as I hate to say it, good one ViCommunications.

said: Overselling

I had seen some overselling before (5 months ago) and it appears they've sorted their things out now. CPU tests don't indicate any overselling, ram looks fine & I/O is spot on.

This section however, was unnecessary and really can't be proven either way. OpenVZ (by design) is meant for overselling. Here is the best example of legitimate overselling that I can lay out for everyone to understand the matter better:

Say you have a physical server with the following usable specifications:

24 x 2.0 GHz Threads

65218 MB of Usable RAM

1734 GB of Usable Disk Space

A way in which one might commit the node, is with 50x the following plan:

1 vCPU (Fair Share)

1024 MB Guaranteed RAM

2048 MB vSwap (Burstable)

40 GB Storage

If we do the math, that means we are committing:

50 vCPU (heavily oversold!)

51200 MB Guaranteed RAM

102400 MB vSwap (Burstable) (heavily oversold!)

2000 GB Storage (oversold)

Now, most providers will sanely limit the total CPU usage of each VPS to prevent the CPU overselling from being much of an issue, but we must remember the overheads of things like disk I/O operations and network I/O operations on the host machine.

Also, notice that in the above example; we would be selling almost 160% of the total physical memory that the host machine has. This is greatly offset by the fact that "vSwap" can actually use the host SWAP when required, although this degrades performance. There is also the giant argument that 90%+ of the customers that purchase a 4GB VPS won't ever actually use 4GB of RAM, which helps this figure as well. This can also be offset greatly by "Kernel Samepage Merging" which will allow all of those pesky duplicated processes (50x SSH, 50x kthread**, etc) use a much lower memory footprint.

Then we get to the disk, which you can see is oversold by a small percentage as well, which in normal operation is entirely fine; since very few people will actually use all of the disk space that has been assigned to them.

Overselling is inevitably a balancing act.

Thanked by 2shovenose FrankZ
  • shovenoseshovenose Member, Host Rep

@GoodHosting said:
    stuff

While I don't personally like you, this post is absolute truth and makes complete sense, and provides a plausible real world example. Thank you.

Thanked by 4FrankZ ATHK netomx retry