Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

VPS Shut Down 150,000 UDP packets per second!
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

VPS Shut Down 150,000 UDP packets per second!

n1kkon1kko Member

I just got an email from my provider saying my VPS has just been hit by over 150,000 UDP packets per second and has temp been shut down. What do I need to check and or block?

Running cPanel with CSF, please help!

Comments

• Sit and wait.

• n1kkon1kko Member

Server been offline for nearly an hour now

• BlazeMuisBlazeMuis Member
    edited July 2014

Is it with inceptionhosting by any chance? My VPS isn't working with them right now due to a DDOS attack at their UK DC according to anthony.. Haven't got the email you've got though

• perennateperennate Member, Host Rep

n1kko said: Server been offline for nearly an hour now

If your website attracts DDoS attacks you will need to go with provider who offers DDoS-filtering (e.g. RamNode, BuyVM), or at least one with auto-null (e.g. RamNode, BuyVM).

• n1kkon1kko Member

yes it is inceptionhosting

• n1kkon1kko Member

Need a UK XEN VPS with DDoS then I guess

• @n1kko said:
    yes it is inceptionhosting

Alright, Anthony / Inceptionhosting is working on it. He's waiting for more information he just told me at the ticket i opened

• CakeyCakey Member
    edited July 2014

n1kko said: Need a UK XEN VPS with DDoS then I guess

Ehm, are the things you're hosting a bit targeted? Because then you could use CloudFlare to just hide your server IP leaving the skids unable to find something to hit <.<

• n1kkon1kko Member

Just hosting php sites on CMS systems. Just moved all my domains to domain monster and using their DNS will switch all to cloudflare

• Mark_RMark_R Member

@Cakey said:
    Ehm, are the things you're hosting a bit targeted? Because then you could use CloudFlare to just hide your server IP leaving the skids unable to find something to hit <.<

even if you do that then you'd have to make sure that your covered server is not broadcasting anything from its own source (sending email and dropping the original IP in the header for example.)

• NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran

150k is pretty good, some OpenVZ Providers terminate at 3k Connections/Packages.

• perennateperennate Member, Host Rep

Infinity580 said: 150k is pretty good, some OpenVZ Providers terminate at 3k Connections/Packages.

What do you mean packages? And connections != packets.

• n1kkon1kko Member

How do I hide servers IP's with cPanel?

• NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran

@perennate my fault i mean connections.

• BoxodeBoxode Member

;O

• Mark_RMark_R Member

@n1kko said:
    How do I hide servers IP's with cPanel?

Are you selling hosting?

• n1kkon1kko Member

No don't sell hosting just provide it for the websites I desgin

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

quick update, it looks like this was not targeted specifically at n1kko and that was just the start/ tip of the ice burg, and the attack just got larger and larger and started hitting multiple IP's on the /24 both nodes on this /24 were hit badly.

They are in Rapidswitch, from what I understand Inception hosting is not the first host to be hit exactly like this today in Rapidswitch.

Sad world.

Because of all the attacks specifically on UK providers, specifically in this DC my old offer of £1000 reward for any info that leads to finding the person(s) instigating these attacks, I refuse to believe it is a coincidence, info can be anonymously sent and payment can be with BTC if required (obviously after validation)

Thanked by 3Scion M66B taronyu
  • n1kkon1kko Member

Thanks for the update Anthony. So sad that these idiots have nothing better to do

• BlazeMuisBlazeMuis Member
    edited July 2014

@AnthonySmith any information about when the services will be restored? My VPS hosting a private/testing gameserver is still down :(

AnthonySmith said: They are in Rapidswitch, from what I understand Inception hosting is not the first host to be hit exactly like this today in Rapidswitch.

How do you know they're from Rapidswitch? Could also be from Ecatel or w/e they use for DDOS attacks these days right?

@joodle all servers should be up now, a few IP's that were being hit harder than other have been nulled.

I have a list of the 2000+ IP's involved in the attack.

• blackblack Member

@AnthonySmith said:

Post'em.

@black said:
    Post'em.

I will be, I need to filter out the handful that are probably just client IP's first.

Ant.

• Mark_RMark_R Member

@black said:
    Post'em.

useless. whoever launches the attack just used a scanner to scan for exploitable servers where they can send the attack through, usually they have a list of like 1m ip adresses that are being unknownly used to send packets through, the IP from the server that the attacker use will not be broadcasted. all attacking IP adresses that anthony will see are most likely from people who have no idea that their servers are being used to launch attacks until they get a large bandwidth bill.

• MicrolinuxMicrolinux Member
    edited July 2014

@AnthonySmith said:

If it's UDP, you just have a list of 2000+ IPs.

Thanked by 1linuxthefish
  • blackblack Member

@Mark_R said:
    useless.

Microlinux said: If it's UDP, you just have a list of 2000+ IPs.

Indeed, UDPs could be spoofed and stuff. I just want to see if it comes from any funny IPs like DOD or NSA.

Well perhaps someone wants to blackhole them any info is better than none.

• Mark_RMark_R Member
    edited July 2014

@black said:

most of the time it involves attacks from Quake3 engine based servers but there are tons of other type servers that can be used for this malicious purpose, you could buy lists like this on HF, they are reffered to as amp lists.

• vedranvedran Veteran

AnthonySmith said: for any info that leads to finding the person(s) instigating these attacks

What can you do with that information (except finding them and breaking their kneecaps which I doubt is the option)?

@vedran said:
    What can you do with that information (except finding them and breaking their kneecaps which I doubt is the option)?

Perhaps nothing, but you don't know unless you try.

Thanked by 3vedran Maounique iKeyZ