Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Any review of Zoho and Yandex mail?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Any review of Zoho and Yandex mail?

TheKillerTheKiller Member
edited June 2014 in Reviews

I want to setup a mail account using a custom domain.

Looking for free options and found Zoho and Yandex.

Kindly share reviews, pros and cons, reliability of Zoho and Yandex.

Also which one would you recommend?

Thanks

Comments

• I am using zoho for my domain and seems stable. It also has similar features as google apps like 2 factor auth, custom logo etc . I recommend them

• I've only checked both out (registered an account, clicked around a little) but both seem really fine.

• rmdortrmdort Member
    edited June 2014

Been using Zoho mail for my domain as well. I use mail forwarding to my gmail, but you dont receive mails forwarded instantly unlike gmail. They have a 5minute cron to forward emails.

Other than that it works well. I dont even have to login to zoho. I should say that their Spam filtering is terrible.

• I've been using zoho for a couple of years for a domain and I really like it. It now has 10 free users for a free account but you can increase that by 5 for every signup via referrals up to 20 or 25.

Spam filter has been great for me. Can't think of any outages or issues sending or receiving. Set-up on Android was more complicated than hotmail/gmail but I did get it working.

Good stuff.

• are there any experience in deleted domain like google app, because I tend to buy and forget the domain I have :D

• M66BM66B Veteran

Yandex push mail didn't work for me (K9 mail).

• ZEROFZEROF Member

Using zoho for some time. Great services if you don't want to run own mail service.

• Yandex mail is pretty cool, but I'm not so sure if it is still that functional outside Russia. Their spam filters are far from perfect and I receive about 30 spam mails a year on a email I don't use and publish anywhere. With Yandex you can not only use hosted email service, but DNS and XMPP.

• M_yM_y Member

Yandex is not stable. Sometimes mails are delivering late. Sometimes I can't reach inbox.

• jimtownjimtown Member

Yandex is a little more than phishing machine for acquiring information about you. I have never seen a service so nosy and insistent on invading my privacy – they even asked me for a drivers license, passport, or military ID. This happened after I refused to give them my telephone number. They had the nerve to ask me if the name I used to register was my real name - thank goodness it wasn't.
    Beware of this company – they are up to no good; they have all the accouterments and earmarks of an organization that is up to criminal or nefarious activities.
    Do not – I repeat: do not do business with them and certainly do not give them any of your personal information.
    Yandex is sneaky, and here’s how they work - it will begin with an incremental collection of information accompanied by the inconvenient "step" of filling out the difficult to read code in the box...........then they ask you for another piece of private information. Don't start down this path.
    It's all very deliberate. When you write to them informing them of your difficulties - they intimate that you are the one who's a crook and they need this information to protect themselves and their sacred and almighty "terms of service". Does this add insult to inconvenience, or what?
    I see a lot of positive reviews for this company - either Yandex is stacking the deck with reviews, or else there are an awful lot of naive people out there getting robbed (and they just don’t know it yet).

Thanked by 1Chuck
  • jimtown said: They had the nerve to ask me if the name I used to register was my real name - thank goodness it wasn't. Beware of this company

You literally joined 2 minutes before posting this...

Nearly every provider on here will expect real information on sign-up. Most will ask for I.D. or some other verification. I'm not sure why people think this is an "invasion of privacy" - if you're providing a service to someone, don't you want to know who they are?

Most of Yandex is indeed based in Russia and the former CIS. As they are the most popular email provider in the CIS, they are popular with fraudsters. I'm not sure how Russia's laws pertaining to identity verification (they require valid phone numbers at public WiFi, e.g.) apply to Yandex sign-ups from abroad - but Yandex might be required to collect this.

I don't use Yandex but I previously did tech support for a desktop email client and there were some issues with Yandex using guillemets (the « and ») to enclose email addresses, thereby breaking the client's handling of it. Pretty sure this is completely non-standard and shows Yandex is sort of beta (at best) and perhaps not as reliable as Gmail.

• angstromangstrom Moderator

@jimtown: You realize that you're necroposting, don't you?

• I used yandex mail for domain. Tested it using android gmail imap setting. It works great on my smartphone.

• LeeLee Veteran

angstrom said: @jimtown: You realize that you're necroposting, don't you?

Yeah, but he just tried to sign up with them today then and rushed to Google search, sign up and rant everywhere.

Thanked by 2angstrom jiggawatt
  • angstromangstrom Moderator

@Lee said:

angstrom said: @jimtown: You realize that you're necroposting, don't you?

Yeah, but he just tried to sign up with them today then and rushed to Google search, sign up and rant everywhere.

I've always wondered how these guys arrive here (as if out of nowhere). Your interpretation sounds plausible!

• YuraYura Member
    edited May 2017

And he misspelled Google by typing out Yandex each time describing that horrible privacy invasive​ phishing company. I'm sure it's called G-o-o-g-l-e worldwide. Yandex is just a young grasshopper.

• I have been using Zoho Mail for quite some time now and I really love it. It's really stable aswell.

• +1 for Zoho

This discussion has been closed.