Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

ChicagoVPS still down after almost a week, may have lost my data
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

ChicagoVPS still down after almost a week, may have lost my data

Response from ChicagoVPS support on Tuesday when I could not see my VPS in their control panel over the prior weekend:

"We are currently working on this, the system is having hardware problems so we can trying [SIC] to get the data off the system. We are doing our best right now."

It's still down as of 06/27/2014. And on top of it all they billed me a few days ago!

Even if they recover the server and restore it, how can I ever trust them going forward?

Comments

• J1021J1021 Member

said: Even if they recover the server and restore it, how can I ever trust them going forward?

You can't. Get what you can of your data and move elsewhere.

You should be keeping backups anyway.

• For future reference, you should never trust any provider with important data. If it's that important, make backups

Thanked by 2netomx doughmanes
  • Cvps's backups Atlest do work. I've asked then to restore my vps the their last backup twice after I messed something up.

Their backups are once a week.

• I'm not worried about the data because I indeed had backed up locally. It's just the principal of the situation....

• J1021J1021 Member

malachi said: I'm not worried about the data because I indeed had backed up locally. It's just the principal of the situation....

Glad to hear. In that case I would move over to a new provider ASAP.

• jvnadrjvnadr Member

The nature of very cheap providers is that. I use them, but always have daily or more often backups. And then, If something goes wrong or if the server's stability and/or speed goes downhill, then, I simply move my jobs to another low end server, that works. I almost have never fail with this, except in a couple of times that was my fault (didn't have backups, didn't monitor quickly enough etc.).
    But, generally, with this practice, I have almost bulletproof systems with a lot of backups, failovers and great uptime and stability. The only disadvantage to that is that I must have an eye all the time, with monitoring 24/7 thru my mobile phone.

As of CVPS, one of my boxes there is veeeeery slow, I ticketed them with no real solution till now (they fixed for a couple of weeks but it went slow again)

• I don't host anything important on my CVPS. I'm surprised that i'm getting disk I/O up to 1.0GB/s.

• blackblack Member

I actually use mine and I get about 150 MB/sec on SSD cached server. Other than that 0-day solusVM exploit, I haven't had any noticeable issues with them.

• @hostnoob said:
    For future reference, you should never trust any provider with important data. If it's that important, make backups

RAID is not a backup. It's a best effort of redundancy. YOUR DATA, YOUR RESPONSIBILITY!

I've lost data from small hosts and even a better known one who had a faulty RAID card then all the drives were corrupted. It was a few years ago. I went to dedicated servers now.