Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Whois Data Reminder Policy? bypass ICANN?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Whois Data Reminder Policy? bypass ICANN?

Mark_RMark_R Member
edited June 2014 in Help

Hello,

For many years i've been using a domain registar that protects my whois privacy by replacing my registrant informations with their own. Recently I registered a new .com domain and now a week later I get this email:

Dear Domain Registrant,

This e-mail is a reminder for you to review and correct any inaccurate Whois information associated with your domain registration on *******.com. Our records include the following information.

[whois info]

Domain: *******.com
Registrar Name: ONLINENIC, INC.

Registrant:
Name: Anonymous Customer
Address: Oliaji TradeCenter 1st floor
City: Victoria
State/Province: Mahe
Postal Code: 2345

Administrative Contact:
Name: Laura Yun
Address: Oliaji TradeCenter - 1st floor
Postal Code: 123456
Phone: +248.32724
Fax: +248.32724
Email: [email protected]

Technical Contact:
Name: Laura Yun
Address: Oliaji TradeCenter - 1st floor
Postal Code: 123456
Phone: +248.32724
Fax: +248.32724
Email: [email protected]

Original Creation Date: **/**/2014
Expiration Date: 06/20/2015

Nameserver Information:
Nameserver: ns1.*******.com
Nameserver: ns2.*******.com
Nameserver: ns3.*******.com
Nameserver: ns4.*******.com

Under ICANN rules at http://www.icann.org/whois/wdrp-registrant-faq.htm, domain name registrants are obligated to review the contact information associated with their domain names and make corrections whenever necessary. The provision of false Whois information can be grounds for cancellation of your domain name registration.

If you confirm the current whois information is full and accurate, you could simply ignore this notification.

If you need to update whois information, please contact your domain name Service Provider for direct assistance.

Regards.

Does this mean that Whois Privacy isn't allowed on .com domains anymore? i'm not sure why out of sudden this appears to be a problem.

Thanks.

Comments

• wychwych Member

I've not had anything for my WHOIS protected and non WHOIS protected sites either way; strange.

• nerouxneroux Member

Who sent this email?

• Mark_RMark_R Member

@neroux said:
    Who sent this email?

Received: from www.onlinenic.com by server7 (envelope-from No-Reply@onlinenic.com

This is not a email from my registar, appearently my registrant email isn't replaced yet (always takes a few days after reg) so I assume icann sent this.

• rds100rds100 Member

Probably your registrar needs to have your correct contact information, this doesn't mean they will publish it though.

• GoodHostingGoodHosting Member
    edited June 2014

@OP :

I can see one issue right away:

• Whoever you're hosting domains with is doing domain privacy wrong ( doing it in such a way as to make it difficult to directly contact the person behind the domain, which is the point of WHOIS really. )

They are meant to assign (at the very least) a unique email address ([email protected] would be enough.) as a mean to contact you.

For example, in the case of Uniregistry (as can be seen on some of my domains) the information shows up as the following when I dig:

[Querying whois.verisign-grs.com]
    [Redirected to whois.uniregistrar.com]
    [Querying whois.uniregistrar.com]
    [whois.uniregistrar.com]

Domain Name: xxxxx.COM
    Registry Domain ID: xxxxx_DOMAIN_COM-VRSN
    Registrar WHOIS Server: whois.uniregistrar.net
    Registrar URL: uniregistry.com
    Updated Date: 2014-06-07-T21:25:41Z
    Creation Date: 2014-06-07-T21:25:41Z
    Registrar Registration Expiration Date: 2015-06-07-T21:25:41Z
    Registrar: UNIREGISTRAR CORP
    Registrar IANA ID: 1659
    Registrar Abuse Contact Email: [email protected]
    Registrar Abuse Contact Phone: +1.9494785380
    Domain Status: clientTransferProhibited
    Domain Status: clientRenewProhibited
    Domain Status: clientUpdateProhibited
    Domain Status: clientDeleteProhibited
    Registry Registrant ID: UNIREGXW56BQXVB
    Registrant Name: PRIVACYDOTLINK CUSTOMER 118381
    Registrant Street: PO BOX 30485
    Registrant City: SEVEN MILE BEACH
    Registrant State/Province: GRAND CAYMAN
    Registrant Postal Code: KY1-1202
    Registrant Country: KY
    Registrant Phone: +1.3457495465
    Registrant Email: [email protected]
    Registry Admin ID: UNIREGXW56BQXVB
    Admin Name: PRIVACYDOTLINK CUSTOMER 118381
    Admin Street: PO BOX 30485
    Admin City: SEVEN MILE BEACH
    Admin State/Province: GRAND CAYMAN
    Admin Postal Code: KY1-1202
    Admin Country: KY
    Admin Phone: +1.3457495465
    Admin Email: [email protected]
    Registry Tech ID: UNIREGXW56BQXVB
    Tech Name: PRIVACYDOTLINK CUSTOMER 118381
    Tech Street: PO BOX 30485
    Tech City: SEVEN MILE BEACH
    Tech State/Province: GRAND CAYMAN
    Tech Postal Code: KY1-1202
    Tech Country: KY
    Tech Phone: +1.3457495465
    Tech Email: [email protected]
    Name Server: ns2.goodhosting.co
    Name Server: ns1.goodhosting.co
    DNSSEC: unsigned
    URL of the ICANN WHOIS Data Problem Reporting System: http://wdprs.internic.net/

>>> Last update of WHOIS database: 2014-06-25T13:37:29.724Z <<<

TERMS OF USE: You  are  not  authorized  to  access or query our Whois
    database through the use of high volume automated processes. Access to
    the Whois database is  provided  solely to obtain information about or
    related to a domain name  registration record, and no warranty is made
    as to its accuracy or  fitness for any particular purpose..  You agree
    that you may use this  Data only for lawful purposes and that under no
    circumstances will you  use  this  data to allow, enable, or otherwise
    support the transmission of  mass  unsolicited, commercial advertising
    or solicitations via  e-mail,  telephone,  or facsimile.  Compilation,
    repackaging,  dissemination  or  other  use  of this Data is expressly
    prohibited   without  the  prior   written  consent  of  Uniregistrar,
    Uniregistry Corp. or Uniregistry Ltd. (CA).  Uniregistrar reserves the
    right to restrict your  access to  the  Whois  database  in  its  sole
    discretion to ensure operational stability and police abuse.

• @rds100 said:
    Probably your registrar needs to have your correct contact information, this doesn't mean they will publish it though.

^^This is how I interpreted the notices from Namecheap. Now anytime you make a change to domain contacts there, you get one of these.

• Mark_RMark_R Member
    edited June 2014

@rds100 said:

My registar had correct information the first time after I signed up with them but they automaticly erase those real contact informations from my customer profile after each domain purchase so i'm not sure whats the deal here.

• You're allowed anonymity, there just needs to be a valid point of contact. I'd take it up with the registrar/anonymity service.

• nerouxneroux Member

I am not aware of cases where ICANN would send out such notifications.

Have you contacted your registrar? However from the wording it might be just the usual annual notification to verify your whois.

Is the whois protection supplied by your registrar? Do you have valid details stored with your registrar?

• nerouxneroux Member

You mean as whois protection service or for registering the domain?

• Mark_RMark_R Member

@neroux said:
    You mean as whois protection service or for registering the domain?

both? they include the protection with all domains as described there.

• Shoulda chose Uniregistry. I've been very happy with their services so far, [ most importantly as per this topic, their free Private Registration that comes with all domains, and can be toggled on/off in minutes instead of hours like some other providers. ]

That being said, I've never heard of vindo myself, so I can't say much about how their system works.

• Mark_RMark_R Member
    edited June 2014

I might go look for another domain registar, i'm not really satisfied with vindo tbh. their support is like non-existant and everything is running fully automated so if there is a problem support wouldn't be an option, usually I dont mind that but with random shit like this I do.

@goodhosting uniregistry looks alright but I think about going with namesilo, ive had a very good impression of these guys.

• Slightly OT dumb question, why are you using anonymity?

• Mark_RMark_R Member

@ricardo said:
    Slightly OT dumb question, why are you using anonymity?

I don't like having my personal informations all spread over the WWW. I also dislike spam emails alot.

• rds100rds100 Member

I don't think you can get anonymity, no matter which registrar gives you the whois privacy.
    I mean they won't publish your details in the whois, but if a court order is received asking who is the owner of this domain, they will give all the information they have.

• Mark_RMark_R Member

@rds100 said:
    I don't think you can get anonymity, no matter which registrar gives you the whois privacy.
    I mean they won't publish your details in the whois, but if a court order is received asking who is the owner of this domain, they will give all the information they have.

I agree. if you want true anonymity then you have to bribe someone who doesn't know you for real to get it registered on his details making him the fallguy. But in this case I just don't want my information spread in the public.

• wychwych Member

@Mark_R give Namecheap or DomainMonster a whirl ;)

• DylanDylan Member

@Mark_R said:
    I might go look for another domain registar, i'm not really satisfied with vindo tbh. their support is like non-existant and everything is running fully automated so if there is a problem support wouldn't be an option, usually I dont mind that but with random shit like this I do.

goodhosting uniregistry looks alright but I think about going with namesilo, ive had a very good impression of these guys.

Go with NameSilo. There's really no downside to them unless you count the limited TLD selection.

• nerouxneroux Member

@rds100 said:

If I understood correctly the OP is not after absolute anonymity but the regular whois cover is good enough.

Anyhow, if you plan to switch registrar I would also recommend Namesilo, however unless you have particular reasons I dont think switching in this case would give you any advantage. This notification was most probably just the annual reminder.

However your registrar doesnt seem to be a registrar anyhow, but rather a reseller.

• Mark_RMark_R Member

@neroux said:
    However your registrar doesnt seem to be a registrar anyhow, but rather a reseller.

I think that you're right about that, they used to register my domains under Internet.bs with their own registrant details, I think that they changed from internet.bs to ONLINENIC, INC. recently causing this problem I have now (that email in the first post.)

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

I get/got those sort of emails from some registrars - Dreamhost as I recall. They interpret ICANN regs as saying "once a year we need to send an email confirming that you didn't falsify your whois, and if you don't reply we'll assume you didn't."

More paperwork CYA than anything else...at least that's how I interpreted it. Other registrars don't do this, which leads me to suspect it's one of those "unclear regs are interpreted different ways by different lawyers" things.

Thanked by 1Mark_R
  • Mark_RMark_R Member

is namesilo a reseller aswel or a real registar? I rather go directly now instead of using a middleman.

• nerouxneroux Member
    edited June 2014

@Mark_R said:
    is namesilo a reseller aswel or a real registar? I rather go directly now instead of using a middleman.

Namesilo is proper registrar, registered in 2009 if I am not mistaken.

Quite a limited choice of extensions, however in my humble opinion at the moment the best registrar out there (for the extensions they offer :) )

And for the obligatory spam (because its an affiliate coupon), if you use the MEERKATS coupon you get $1 off.

Thanked by 1Mark_R
  • PatrickPatrick Member
    edited June 2014

You should be seeing this more often, for example from a reseller we got this email:

This is a reminder to suggest that you regularly contact your domain customers to remind them of the importance of keeping their domain contact details up to date and accurate. We suggest sending them a reminder every 90 days. Keeping domain records up to date is required by ICANN (the domain name governing body) and is essential to prevent any adverse actions to be taken against your customer’s domains or even them losing the domain should they not renew it in time.

By ensuring your customers keep their contact details accurate, it helps your domain customer retention. If they lose or do not renew their domain, you will lose out on the repeat revenue and your customer retention levels will be adversely affected.

Thanked by 1Mark_R
  • ricardoricardo Member
    edited June 2014

I think there's only really 2 ways that you're forced to verify

1) Someone reports your details as inaccurate

2) You update your details and have to reverify

Other than that... seems like it's interpretation as said already.

• Mark_RMark_R Member
    edited June 2014

@ricardo said:
    I think there's only really 2 ways that you're forced to verify

1) Someone reports your details as inaccurate

I think that vindohosting messed up that resulted in me getting this email. for now I will ignore it and wait 60 days, after the 60 days have passed I can transfer my domain to namesilo according to the icann rules I think (atleast thats what namesilo said in a live chat if i remember correctly.) I still think that waiting 60 days while you are on risk of losing your domain is a bit fucked up but i've got no choice right?

• I wasn't aware of the 60 day rule (even after using 6 reseller APIs...) but it seems so.

You won't lose your domain if you can't reverify, but your DNS will be diverted to a warning page, making it unusable for you.

Thanked by 1Mark_R
  • I think it's an automated email.
    I have a ResellerClub package and I quite often received those kind-of emails about domains with whois privacy.
    I was later told they sent out that email every year for people to check the informations.