Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Solar winds buys Pingdom
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Solar winds buys Pingdom

Comments

• edited June 2014

I love Solar electric power. Even more so Wind power. :) Don't know anything about Solar Winds though. </ offtopic failed joke>

Thanked by 1ErawanArifNugroho
  • MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

Solar wind has nothing to do with wind. It is a flow of particles ejected from the sun and high speeds. Most get caught in the magnetic field and dont reach earth otherwise there would be no life here.
    Now the joke really failed :P

• Pingdom couldn't get much worse so I doubt Solarwinds will be able to do much wrong with it.

Solarwinds used to be great when they had their testing toolkits back in the late 90's but their modern stuff is just overpriced and very broken.

• NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran

If Pingdom got worse go to google docs and monitor your website yes google docs.

Just found it: http://www.labnol.org/internet/website-uptime-monitor/21060/

Thanked by 2kaflo linuxthefish
  • @infinity580 - thats actually really cool. Haven't used Pingdom in 2-3 years just too many false reports.

Thanked by 1netomx
  • NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran
    edited June 2014
  • jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

@MarkTurner said:
    Pingdom couldn't get much worse so I doubt Solarwinds will be able to do much wrong with it.

Solarwinds used to be great when they had their testing toolkits back in the late 90's but their modern stuff is just overpriced and very broken.

Don't you just love a company that only proves it's worth by telling you that your host sucks? If there's no outage, they'll make one up. I'm convinced of it now.

• BradBrad Member
    edited June 2014

Been using it for a few weeks now, really like it.

• perennateperennate Member, Host Rep
    edited June 2014

Here's one I wrote, only for alerting (not graphs) and supports multiple monitoring servers -- https://github.com/uakfdotb/bearmon (if you use MySQL cluster, it should still work if any server fails)

• netomxnetomx Moderator, Veteran
    edited June 2014

@Jar said:
    Don't you just love a company that only proves it's worth by telling you that your host sucks? If there's no outage, they'll make one up. I'm convinced of it now.

I don't get it. It was an indirect?

• perennateperennate Member, Host Rep
    edited June 2014

Jar said: Don't you just love a company that only proves it's worth by telling you that your host sucks? If there's no outage, they'll make one up. I'm convinced of it now.

netomx said: I don't get it. It was an indirect?

What do you mean? Indirect what?

Anyway I didn't have any issues with Pingdom giving false reports. Seemed to work fine for me. But the SMS pricing is way too high.

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

@netomx said:
    I don't get it. It was an indirect?

I've literally watched packets containing apache "200" codes go back to them while they reported an outage for the same check.

Thanked by 1netomx
  • netomxnetomx Moderator, Veteran

@perennate said:
    Anyway I didn't have any issues with Pingdom giving false reports. Seemed to work fine for me. But the SMS pricing is way too high.

I mean: was that an indirect ?

@Jar said:
    I've literally watched packets containing apache "200" codes go back to them while they reported an outage for the same check.

Just LoL. In other things, I miss you old nick :(

Thanked by 1jar
  • Mark_RMark_R Member

@netomx said:
    Just LoL. In other things, I miss you old nick :(

Yep, Jarland was fine. no point in just changing it to @jar . its still familiar but sounds less awesome.

Thanked by 1netomx
  • Host4GeeksHost4Geeks Member, Host Rep

And now they'll just shut it down, probably.

• Does this mean you'll get a super-pushy sales agent calling you RIGHT after you sign up to see if you'd like to purchase anything ELSE from them? Because that's flat out annoying.