Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

what the hell sorbs.net ? abuse list gone insane.
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

what the hell sorbs.net ? abuse list gone insane.

AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

Hi Folks,

So I get 2 emails from sorbs today http://www.sorbs.net/ saying I was running an open relay and I was getting this email to check the status of the relay.

It is not an open relay I can assure everyone, I did worry a little when seeing this email so I triple checked everything, sure enough it is locked down.

So as you naturally would when getting an abuse report I asked for logs/ evidence/ headers of the spam.

I was informed that I had opted in to get email from sorbs.net because my server connected to them.... ::wat::

When again asking for proof as I actually would have liked to get to the bottom of it or if genuine abuse is happening fix it and remove the abusive user I got this reply from [email protected]

Feel free to make a police report so the evidence can be properly handled.  We give original spam to law enforcement under court enforced 'trade secret' bond only...  I'm sure if you had trade secrets you wouldn't just give them out to me.

I can only assume that this is yet another kiddie DBL that seeks to extend their empire by just flinging out random emails to try and find possible relays.

This bully boy DBL attitude that is cropping up on the net these days more and more is getting annoying, this completely shows that they have no interest in resolving any problems, they just want to perpetuate their own existance.

sigh...

Thanked by 1GIANT_CRAB

Comments

• Sorbs has a bunch of lists, some more aggressive than others. I stopped using them many years ago when i noticed big sites like Hotmail and Gmail getting listed.

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

I just got a reply to me asking for evidence again.

apparently I cant afford to take them to court to release the trade secrets so I cant see the abusive email.

what the actual f***.

Thanked by 1mpkossen
  • wychwych Member
    edited June 2014

Top 20 spamming Autonomous Systems Numbers (24 hours)

>

Rank Autonomous Systems Numbers

17 AS15169 Google Inc.

lol.

• PatrickPatrick Member
    edited June 2014

@wych said:
    lol.

Can easily be true, we get spam every few days about wanting SEO work done through gmail with the same email content through different emails.

We've never had issues getting delisted off SORBS, site is really slow and they take 2-3 days but yeah.

@INIZ said:

I have never had any issues getting delisted however if they are unwilling to provide any evidence to support the listing to begin with then what is the point. it is not fixing anything.

• @AnthonySmith said:
    I have never had any issues getting delisted however if they are unwilling to provide any evidence to support the listing to begin with then what is the point. it is not fixing anything.

Have you checked the IP with other blacklists? Usually SORBS is pretty slow on listing and the IP would have been on several others by the time its on there.

• rds100rds100 Member

If it was an email that hit a spamtrap i can understand why they don't want to reveal what the spamtrap address is. Just ignore this and move on.

@rds100 usually I would agree and do that but when they send me 2 emails saying I am running an open relay and it actually is my own server it tends to provoke a bit more of a response.

• rds100rds100 Member
    edited June 2014

@AnthonySmith so tell them you've checked everything on your side and can't find anything suspicious at all in the logs and ask them to manually check these reports to make sure it's not some kind of error. If you just email them with "i'm not a f.cking spammer you stupid morons, send me the evidence of shut the f.ck up" of course they wouldn't cooperate :)

Thanked by 2switsys mpkossen
  • wychwych Member

@INIZ said:

Mhm true, just noticed all my "Domain Backorders/SEO Services" have recently all come from Gmails too.

@rds100 said:
    AnthonySmith so tell them you've checked everything on your side and can't find anything suspicious at all in the logs and ask them to manually check these reports to make sure it's not some kind of error. If you just email them with "i'm not a f.cking spammer you stupid morons, send me the evidence of shut the f.ck up" of course they wouldn't cooperate :)

haha yes, I asked twice, before taking the "common sense" approach :)

Thanked by 1mpkossen
  • c0yc0y Member

stop blaming email providers, address the real problem and get some keyword and content flagging systems...

• AThomasHoweAThomasHowe Member
    edited June 2014

AnthonySmith said: I just got a reply to me asking for evidence again.

apparently I cant afford to take them to court to release the trade secrets so I cant see the abusive email.

what the actual f***.

If this is true:

said: Feel free to make a police report so the evidence can be properly handled. We give original spam to law enforcement under court enforced 'trade secret' bond only... I'm sure if you had trade secrets you wouldn't just give them out to me.

and it is about the services you provide, don't you have a legal right to whatever data has (apparently) been handed over to law enforcement? A solicitor or the CPS maybe be able to help (or just the mention of them in a stern e-mail).

Even if not, data protection act wouldn't allow them to just transfer data like that secretly would it? Suppose they're American though. Like you said, I doubt they have really done anything, couldn't you just scare them back?

• alexhalexh Member

These DBLs serve a purpose; Obviously, this one may not be the most well-known, but given your recent thread, I would believe their claims. If you advocate clients using your services for illegal purpose, and encourage them to not share what they're doing with support, you should expect these kind of repercussions.

edited June 2014

@alexh said:
    These DBLs serve a purpose; Obviously, this one may not be the most well-known, but given your recent thread, I would believe their claims. If you advocate clients using your services for illegal purpose, and encourage them to not share what they're doing with support, you should expect these kind of repercussions.

wow way to take things out of context.

I absolutely do not advocate clients using the hosting provided by Inception hosting for illegal purposes.

What I was saying was I don't police your server or data, while people may get away with light personal use for torrents etc if you ask me if it is allowed I am not going to give you a green light to break the law. i.e. a bit of balance.

I would believe their claims too if they actually submitted a single shred of evidence. and yes it would have been acted upon.

• wychwych Member

Not sure if you did tag me @Liam or the cluster had a fit but got a 'Comment Not Found' for that notification.

• wychwych Member

@Liam said:
    Yeah, removed my comment. Was just being a bit whitty in saying Google were challenging CC for a top 20 finish ;-)

;)

• Liam said: Yeah, removed my comment. Was just being a bit whitty in saying Google were challenging CC for a top 20 finish ;-)

Well it's a good thing you removed all traces ;)