Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

BuyVM Sales Round (Stock? STOCK!)
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

BuyVM Sales Round (Stock? STOCK!)

AldryicAldryic Member
edited May 2012 in Offers

Fran said stock... AND IT WASN'T A LIE (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
( As always folks, we're splitting this sale up into blocks to give folks a better chance at grabbing the plan they want. Release schedule is available at http://wiki.buyvm.net/index.php/Stock , and the sale will continue until all available slots are sold.)

BuyVM is proud to introduce our new DDOS protected IP's! IP addresses are $3.00/month per filtered IP

On top of this, all of our nodes are gaining SSD caches, greatly improving I/O latency!

All plans also include:

• Powered by OpenVZ/KVM & Stallion Control Panel
  • Choice of Linux (x86 or x64) or Windows 2003
  • 1 IPv4 & 16 IPv6 is included with each VPS
  • Great pings to Asia and the America's
  • 99.9% uptime guarantee
  • IRC/Gameservers/Shoutcast are all allowed on these servers
  • TUN/PPTP/GRE/SIT/IPIP tunnels enabled by default!
  • All BuyVM+ services
  • Full FUSE support!
  • Automated RDNS on both IPV4 & IPV6 addresses

BuyVM+ provides:

• 5GB of free off-server FTP storage
  • Free hosted DNS servers
  • A private LAN IP allowing you to share data between your VPS's for free
  • Access to our dedicated SQL cluster for just $0.99/m

BuyVM 128MB
- 128MB Dedicated RAM
- 256MB Burstable RAM (OpenVZ Only)
- Fair-share CPU Usage
- 500GB bandwidth
- 15GB space
- Your choice of Linux distribution

OpenVZ - $15.00/year - Order Now!
KVM - $25.00/year - Order Now!

BuyVM 256MB
- 256MB Dedicated RAM
- 512MB Burstable RAM (OpenVZ Only)
- Fair-share CPU Usage
- 1000GB bandwidth
- 30GB space
- Your choice of Linux distribution or Windows 2003

OpenVZ - $3.50/month - Order Now!
KVM - $5.00/month - Order Now!

BuyVM 512MB
- 512MB Dedicated RAM
- 1024MB Burstable RAM (OpenVZ Only)
- Fair-share CPU Usage
- 2000GB bandwidth
- 50GB space
- Your choice of Linux distribution or Windows 2003

OpenVZ - $5.95/month - Order Now!

Our other plans are available, but do not meet posting criteria and thus aren't listed

Available Addons

• US IPv4 Addresses - $1.00/m per IP
  • DDOS Protected Addresses - $3.00/m per IP
  • US IPv6 - Free, just open a ticket
  • Additional 1TB of traffic - $2.50/mo

Test us!

Ping IPv4: 205.185.112.1
Ping IPv6: 2607:f358:1:fed5:1::1
Download: http://buyvm.net/100mb.test

All services are hosted in San Jose, California with CoreSite.

Comments

• inb4 taipres complains about something.

Thanked by 1Aldryic
  • That went quick.

• AldryicAldryic Member

@Daniel said: That went quick.

We're releasing limited amounts in batches across the week (as shown here). That way it doesn't all blow through in one day, and gives folks with work/etc schedules a better chance of grabbing something :P

But aye... the last two releases, all plans except the 1G and 2Gs sold ridiculously fast... ~4-5 minutes >_<

• "- Automated RDNS on both IPV4 & IPV6 addresses (only company around with this one)!"

I've got that :(

• AldryicAldryic Member

@jeff_lfcvps said: I've got that :(

Thanks for speaking up sir... post edited. To be truthful I copypasta'd that bit from Fran's WHT post earlier :P

• jcalebjcaleb Member

128mb sold out in 3minutes.

Thanked by 1Freek
  • TaylorTaylor Member

@Aldryic said: All plans also include:

• Powered by OpenVZ/KVM & Stallion Control Panel
    • Choice of Linux (x86 or x64) or Windows 2003

Windows on OpenVZ sign me up :P

Thanked by 3MrDOS klikli maxexcloo
  • AldryicAldryic Member

@Taylor said: Windows on OpenVZ sign me up :P

Oh you :P

• prometeusprometeus Member, Host Rep

@Aldryic said: uptime garuntee

Please correct this also. This post should follow Aldryic high perfection standards :-)

• subigosubigo Member

You know what would fix the "This webpage is not available" error I see every time you guys post one of these threads? A waiting list. Yep.

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

@subigo said: You know what would fix the "This webpage is not available" error I see every time you guys post one of these threads?

CloudFlare!

I kid...I kid because I love...

Thanked by 2Aldryic maxexcloo
  • AldryicAldryic Member
    edited May 2012

@prometeus said: Please correct this also. This post should follow Aldryic high perfection standards :-)

le sigh. You're right.. should've known better than to submit a Fran-style writeup without proofreading thoroughly :P

@subigo said: You know what would fix the "This webpage is not available" error I see every time you guys post one of these threads? A waiting list. Yep.

I know it's hard to understand since you haven't faced this particular problem yourself... but a waiting list would be no better. We'd end up with a waiting list for the waiting list for the waiting list, and there'd -never- be any public stock available. :P

• jcalebjcaleb Member

the twice a day schedule is great for different timezones

• subigosubigo Member

@Aldryic said: I know it's hard to understand since you haven't faced this particular problem yourself... but a waiting list would be no better. We'd end up with a waiting list for the waiting list for the waiting list, and there'd -never- be any public stock available. :P

There's never public stock available anyway, except for the few people who catch your four minute window of uptime. You get a waiting list and only update X amount of people throughout the day when you have stock. No downtime and the people who want one, get one. Just sayin'.

• AldryicAldryic Member

@subigo said: You get a waiting list and only update X amount of people throughout the day when you have stock. No downtime and the people who want one, get one. Just sayin'.

Even when we don't have sales rounds, there's a good number of unique hits per day on doesbuyvmhavestock.com, as well as the individual package URLs in our billing system. I could pick a completely random release time and only inform 10 people, and there will still be plenty of other folks refreshing.

Not to mention the amusing number of third-party scripts designed specifically to watch our stock counts and give notifications when something changes. The only way a waiting list would work would be to do manual orders... and since we tend to release batches of nodes at one time, that's not going to happen.

• AldryicAldryic Member

You sir, just made my day <3

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran
    edited May 2012

Seems as though the stock was pretty well spread out across nodes to prevent what I really wanted to do, which was test the disk I/O on a new node at the same time a bunch of other people were hammering it to do the same. Curious how the SSD effects the performance at the worst of moments, but I guess that worst case scenario is actually pretty well guarded against, hard to call that a fault. Seems to be a consistent average around 330MB/s using the favorite bench.sh running around here, regardless of node.

I'm guessing that as of yesterday nodes 60-67 were the only ones with the SSD cache?

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

@jarland said: I'm guessing that as of yesterday nodes 60-67 were the only ones with the SSD cache?

I know node58 has it, i'm not sure what others. There's 4 in total that got it.

Whenever I provision nodes for Anthony I simply give them temporary IP's and then he sets designations.

There's 4 production nodes getting the upgrade tonight and another 8 new ones getting them tonight for tomorrow's stock run.

Thanks for the kind words and interest!

Francisco

Thanked by 1jar
  • subigosubigo Member

@Aldryic said: Even when we don't have sales rounds, there's a good number of unique hits per day on doesbuyvmhavestock.com, as well as the individual package URLs in our billing system. I could pick a completely random release time and only inform 10 people, and there will still be plenty of other folks refreshing.

Not to mention the amusing number of third-party scripts designed specifically to watch our stock counts and give notifications when something changes. The only way a waiting list would work would be to do manual orders... and since we tend to release batches of nodes at one time, that's not going to happen.

Which is why you have hidden order links that don't appear publicly...

• AldryicAldryic Member

@subigo said: Which is why you have hidden order links that don't appear publicly...

Less speculation, more experience before giving "recommendations" please :P

• subigosubigo Member

@Aldryic said: Less speculation, more experience before giving "recommendations" please :P

Meh, whatever. I know you guys like the server crashes when you have stock and love being sold out all the time. It's all about marketing. Why make it easier for people who really want to sign up with you when you can have people camp outside like an Apple store. I get it. shrug

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

Reloaded :)

edited May 2012

@subigo said: Meh, whatever. I know you guys like the server crashes when you have stock and love being sold out all the time. It's all about marketing. Why make it easier for people who really want to sign up with you when you can have people camp outside like an Apple store. I get it. shrug

Interestingly, this proves to be quite an effective marketing strategy. Even more interesting is that it absolutely has to be backed by a quality product that has a strong impact on it's market or the marketing strategy alone will not be effective in generating these lines of people. I would also suspect that there are time constraints as well as budget ones with BuyVM's business plan. If one continues to pump all profits into provisioning new systems while each generates low profit, one better have a hefty line of credit as a contingency plan. Although, supply will eventually catch up with demand if you're not careful and that can have an effect on perception of the market (let's call BuyVM it's own market for this), which tends to have a stronger effect than people like to assume before they witness it (extreme and mildly out of context example: U.S. housing market).

• prometeusprometeus Member, Host Rep

@subigo said: when you can have people camp outside like an Apple store

this isn't for everyone to achieve, marketing isn't about logic but impulse and emotions :-)

• subigosubigo Member

@jarland said: Interestingly, this proves to be quite an effective marketing strategy. Even more interestingly is that it absolutely has to be backed by a quality product that has a strong impact on it's market or the marketing strategy alone will not be effective in generating these lines of people. I would also suspect that there are time constraints as well as budget ones with BuyVM's business plan. If one continues to pump all profits into provisioning new systems, one better have a hefty line of credit as a contingency plan. Although, supply will eventually catch up with demand if you're not careful and that can have an effect on perception of the market, which tends to have a stronger effect than people like to assume before they witness it (ex. U.S. housing market).

Even if a product is "just average", the perception will be it's better than average when you limit its availability. When people think they are part of an exclusive club, it makes them feel smarter than the rest of the population. The trick is offering the same amount of stock during your "wait at the door" releases as you would over the course of X amount of regular time.

On a side note, I clicked on the order link for the $15/year plan less than a minute after "reloaded" got posted and it was still out of stock. Plenty of other plans, but no $15/year plans.

@subigo said: Even if a product is "just average", the perception will be it's better than average when you limit its availability. When people think they are part of an exclusive club, it makes them feel smarter than the rest of the population. The trick is offering the same amount of stock during your "wait at the door" releases as you would over the course of X amount of regular time.

The question is, in such a case, would removing the limit from the stock be a good business move? Although the actual product would not be devalued, the perception of the value of the product would be, which lowers image of the product to that of competing products. Granted, in this case I see their product as better because of the sustained performance for such a long time, at such a low price. If others are making their decision purely on limited availability, they better keep that stock low ;)

• AldryicAldryic Member

@subigo said: On a side note, I clicked on the order link for the $15/year plan less than a minute after "reloaded" got posted and it was still out of stock.

You weren't fast enough.

@jarland said: The question is, in such a case, would removing the limit from the stock be a good business move?

Negative, as that would lead to oversell, diminished performance, and loss of quality :P

• debugdebug Member

@subigo said: love being sold out all the time

You're one to talk

• MrDOSMrDOS Member

Why does MaxMind hate me? :(