Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

VestaCP release delayed
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

VestaCP release delayed

agentmishraagentmishra Member, Host Rep
edited June 2014 in General

the major release of VestaCP has been delayed.

as per the earlier notification, it was scheduled to be released on june22, which would contain mail cluster as well as ipv6 dual stack

i was really excited on this...

just now i happened to see they have made it into 2 releases as compared to 1 earlier.

now one with the mail clustering will be released on july 7th and that with the ipv6 dual stack will be released on August 11th.

till then will play with my new h/w...

but believe me, these releases are going to be game changers in the hosting providers....

Comments

• petrispetris Member

@agentmishra said:
    CestaCP release delayed

Cest Pit much?

• AmitzAmitz Member

I would really like to see them (or someone else) do a proper and comprehensive documentation and knowledge base before implementing anything new. However, a nice panel overall. But I still prefer cPanel as allrounder.

Thanked by 1agentmishra
  • This sucks! I was really looking forward to IPv6 capabilities :( Now I have to wait even longer...

Thanked by 1agentmishra
  • jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

Really interested in what exactly the mail clustering is going to be. When I think "cluster" and "secondary relay" I think of two different things.

• AmitzAmitz Member
    edited June 2014

A short question: How can users add subdomains and point them to either an external adress or to a directory within their public_html? Or is that impossible via the GUi?

Thanked by 1agentmishra
    edited June 2014

@Amitz said:
    A short question: How can users add subdomains and point them to either an external adress or to a directory within their public_html? Or is that impossible via the GUi?

Currently, unless someone is aware of a trick that I am not, you would add the subdomain as a new domain and it would just go under /home/user/web/subdomain/public_html. It isn't like cPanel where it treats subdomains as an addon to the domain.

I'm caught in the middle of whether or not I like it that way. Slightly leaning toward liking it. On one hand, the way cPanel does it has become an expectation, but it also introduces a lot of problems because most users can't wrap their mind around htaccess recursion and it can be an unintended ticket generator.

As for pointing it to an external address, that would be DNS or a redirect, if I understand you correctly. A .htaccess file with mod_rewrite directives should be in the workflow for that.

Edit: You could also alias it and use mod_rewrite to redirect requests by a certain request URL.

Thanked by 2Amitz agentmishra
  • @Amitz said:

From my experience, it's impossible to point a subdomain to a directory within the public_html via the GUI.

Thanked by 2Amitz agentmishra
  • agentmishraagentmishra Member, Host Rep

@Amitz said:

is this in context o VestaCP or a general question?

• AmitzAmitz Member

That was in context with VestaCP (not with the delayed update, sorry for interfering). @Jar and @skybucks100 helped me perfectly with their replies! <3

Thanked by 1agentmishra

@Amitz said:
    That was in context with VestaCP (not with the delayed update, sorry for interfering). Jar and skybucks100 helped me perfectly with their replies! <3

hey never mind...

just asked that way to know if it was concerned with vestacp or some other panel...

never mind, and sorry if i meant rude.

• AmitzAmitz Member
    edited June 2014

No worries! You did not seem rude to me at all... :)

Thanked by 1agentmishra
  • Monsta_AUMonsta_AU Member
    edited June 2014

I am also a little disappointed at this delay as IPv6 is very important to me. That said it is major work they are undertaking so I understand that there are problems, issues and bugs to deal with.

We really need couple of free and reliable panels out there with new technologies like nginx at the core which will power the web for the next 20 years, just like Apache has for the last 20. The next version has Nginx + PHP-FPM without Apache and I think this is a bigger deal than IPv6.

I do really like Vesta as well as Ajenti for pushing forward with a new way of doing things, while being lightweight and with fast development times. Hopefully we will see a few developers pushing their add-ons from cPanel to one of these platforms in time.

Thanked by 1agentmishra
  • Aw, I was looking forward to IPv6 dual stack...

Thanked by 1agentmishra
  • eddynetwebeddynetweb Member
    edited June 2014

Double post. :o

Monsta_AU said: just like Apache has for the last 20

I can't wait to be 80 and still be using Apache like a boss :)

Who am I kidding, I'll never live to be 80...

• Jar said: I can't wait to be 80 and still be using Apache like a boss :)

I guess you like what you know - I am much better with Apache for most things, but nginx has struck a chord with me and I am trying to get a bit more exposure to it. For the vast majority of sites nginx is the way to go especially if you have a LEB.

Thanked by 2jar agentmishra

@Monsta_AU said:
    I am also a little disappointed at this delay as IPv6 is very important to me. That said it is major work they are undertaking so I understand that there are problems, issues and bugs to deal with.

We really need couple of free and reliable panels out there with new technologies like nginx at the core which will power the web for the next 20 years, just like Apache has for the last 20. The next version has Nginx + PHP-FPM without Apache and I think this is a bigger deal than IPv6.

I do really like Vesta as well as Ajenti for pushing forward with a new way of doing things, while being lightweight and with fast development times. Hopefully we will see a few developers pushing their add-ons from cPanel to one of these platforms in time.

does ajenti has ipv6?

• agentmishra said: does ajenti has ipv6?

Sure does.

Thanked by 1agentmishra

ok will try ajenti 1c...

• CoreyCorey Member

@Jar said:
    Who am I kidding, I'll never live to be 80...

I always ran into some issue with apache, and I'm not an apache expert and don't ever intend to be. Nginx just works, I'll be 80 and telling you how you should've switched to nginx :P ...

Thanked by 2Monsta_AU ihatetonyy

Version 0.9.8-10 was scheduled for july 7th but is still not unveiled/released...

really getting anxious.

• joshinjoshin Member

@agentmishra said:
    Version 0.9.8-10 was scheduled for july 7th but is still not unveiled/released...

really getting anxious.

Software deadlines slip all the time. If you're getting anxious, I suggest you put that energy into helping them however you can.

• Jar said: Who am I kidding, I'll never live to be 80...

Unless you're like 60, they'll surely have a cure for aging by then.

Thanked by 1jar
  • RolterRolter Member

Better late than sorry , people do not like half cooked food

• nekroxnekrox Member

In the major release VestaCP finally will have a decent REST API? :D

@nekrox said:
    In the major release VestaCP finally will have a decent REST API? :D

lets hope it happens and happens in time

• c0yc0y Member

VestaCP is a mess security wise

Because of even the lack of effort to make the password textboxes actual password ones chrome now autocompletes my password everywhere when I type the first character lol.

Also a lot of passwords are unhashed and default ones.

@c0y said:

Because of even the lack of effort to make the password textboxes actual password ones chrome now autocompletes my password everywhere when I type the first character lol.

lol

you should disable the auto-completion of chrome...

vesta is a good one as far as self or self-managed hosting is concerned...

atleast for me

edited July 2014

@c0y said:

Do share :)

Admin isn't default, MySQL isn't default, what else is vesta setting authentication for on fresh install that I'm not thinking of at the moment?

• RockIslanderRockIslander Member
    edited July 2014

@c0y said:

Care to expand on those statements?