Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Should run RAID0 or RAID1 on SSD
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Should run RAID0 or RAID1 on SSD

jazz1611jazz1611 Member

Hi,

I'm looking about performance RAID0 or RAID1 on SSD (SSD-2 soyoustart). RAID0 on SSD have failure drive? What type RAID i should run? I buy this server for VPS selling. SSD (RAID0 or RAID1) will achieve I / O is how much? 120GB (RAID1) not enough for VPS selling. Hope anybody helpful me.

Regards,

Comments

• You need to learn a lot about hardware and operating systems first. Then and only then you would be able to successfully provide VPS service.

Providing VPS is not an easy job if you want to do it right. If you don't do it right, you'll end up losing time and money with no gain and a black mark on your reputation. The worst thing, you'll end up having your customers losing their time and money, as well.

So, go and start educating yourself by reading tutorials and researching. Get yourself a dedicated server to learn virtualization, work on it continuously until you feel competent with it.

Purchasing a dedicated server and installing a control panel and putting it on a billing system is the easiest part. However, you'll choke when something bad happens because of lack of experience and knowledge.

• AlexanderMAlexanderM Member, Top Host, Host Rep

@serverian said:
    You need to learn a lot about hardware and operating systems first. Then and only then you would be able to successfully provide VPS service.

Providing VPS is not an easy job if you want to do it right. If you don't do it right, you'll end up losing time and money with no gain and a black mark on your reputation. The worst thing, you'll end up having your customers losing their time and money, as well.

So, go and start educating yourself by reading tutorials and researching. Get yourself a dedicated server to learn virtualization, work on it continuously until you feel competent with it.

Purchasing a dedicated server and installing a control panel and putting it on a billing system is the easiest part. However, you'll choke when something bad happens because of lack of experience and knowledge.

Can I add this to a macro please?

• jazz1611jazz1611 Member
    edited June 2014

@serverian said:

>

I know what you say. But i want known RAID0 will better performance if run SSD? RAID1 not enough capacity. I also know ssd it is difficult damaged or faulty. RAID 0 for the data loss occurs higher. That reason i want ask you.

Regards,

• The chances of an SSD failing are low enough for you to be OK to run RAID 0 however I would strongly advise having something in place to take frequent backups.

Cost and performance wise, SSD drives in RAID 0 + frequent offsite backups on SATA drives > SSD drives in RAID 1

• AlexanderMAlexanderM Member, Top Host, Host Rep
    edited June 2014

@GreenValueHost said:
    The chances of an SSD failing are low enough for you to be OK to run RAID 0 however I would strongly advise having something in place to take frequent backups.

Cost and performance wise, SSD drives in RAID 0 + frequent offsite backups on SATA drives > SSD drives in RAID 1

When are you introducing your new SSD Raid0 plans?

Thanked by 1GIANT_CRAB
  • @AlexanderM said:
    When are you introducing your new SSD Raid0 plans?

We already sell SSD VPSes on exclusive plans, but we use Dual E5-2620s, 8x SSDs in LSI HW RAID 10 w/ BBU.

• thank you for the advice. I will consider the matter carefully.

• NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran
    edited June 2014

dot it like MCH they running SSD in Raid 0 and copy them daily to HDD's but risk is included.

• seansean Member

GreenValueHost said: The chances of an SSD failing are low enough for you to be OK to run RAID 0 however I would strongly advise having something in place to take frequent backups.

I do not think you should be recommending a pure RAID0 setup for VPS hosting. The only time '0' is acceptable is in conjunction with '1', '5' or '6'.

You need frequent off-site backups regardless: RAID is not a backup solution. It won't save you in many cases such as accidental deletion, needing to roll back some updates, hacked etc.

P.s.

GreenValueHost said: The chances of an SSD failing are low enough

Citation needed

• CharlesACharlesA Member
    edited June 2014

Must by the cynical side of me, but there is no way in hell I'd run anything in RAID 0. RAID1, RAID 10, hell even RAID6, but not RAID 0. Lose a drive in the array and you are boned. Hope you have recent backups, which you should anyway, cuz RAID is just to preserve uptime, not replace backups.

• LeeLee Veteran

sean said: Citation needed

GVH are probably doing it so it will be from experience.

Thanked by 1GIANT_CRAB
  • c0yc0y Member

If you really want cheap, RAID-0 SSD, set-up a RAID-1 with a regular 7.2k drive so that it at least doesn't crash when the array degrades, giving you or your datacenter the time to properly replace the drive without any downtime, only some temporary shitty performance.

• seansean Member

c0y said: If you really want cheap, RAID-0 SSD, set-up a RAID-1 with a regular 7.2k drive so that it at least doesn't crash when the array degrades, giving you or your datacenter the time to properly replace the drive without any downtime, only some temporary shitty performance.

No, it would be permanent 7.2k RPM performance...

RAID1 write performance is always that of the slowest drive. Read will be depending on the implementation. If it just reads from the SSD then fine. If it tries to read from multiple, it'll be roughly (number of drives) * (slowest drive). Even if you are reading only from the SSD, the awful write performance kills it for you.

• GIANT_CRABGIANT_CRAB Member
    edited June 2014

Real men use RAID 5 SSD.

On a serious note, some SSD just instantly fail after you plug them in and then you have to send them in for replacement. hashtagFailQC

• shovenoseshovenose Member, Host Rep
    edited June 2014

Often times when hard drives fail they do so slowly. SSDs just DIE... You need RAID1.

• @shovenose said:

That's what worries me the most. Because Intel SSD DC S3500 Series Read445 MB/s and Write 135MB/s (not good). That reason i looking RAID0

• The best for you are both of them, raid 10.

If you want to do some business, please.. don't be super cheapo. It's not only about you, but also your customer. If you are stuck with drive configuration, I wonder how you will solve bigger problem.

Sorry if that is harsh, but you need to learn more my friend. Take your time, and use your chance wisely.

Thanked by 1geekalot
  • @sirmbhe said:
    The best for you are both of them, raid 10.

If you want to do some business, please.. don't be super cheapo. It's not only about you, but also your customer. If you are stuck with drive configuration, I wonder how you will solve bigger problem.

Sorry if that is harsh, but you need to learn more my friend. Take your time, and use your chance wisely.

/thread

• drserverdrserver Member, Host Rep
    edited June 2014

GreenValueHost said: The chances of an SSD failing are low enough for you to be OK

i had 2 dead SSD drives in one month... seems to be faulty mbo but still data loss occurred.

• wychwych Member

@drserver said:
    i had 2 dead SSD drives in one month... seems to be faulty mbo but still data loss occurred.

Same Batch?

• drserverdrserver Member, Host Rep
    edited June 2014

@wych Not sure really, i think that it was mbo problem. @rds100 is more competent to answer on this one

• rds100rds100 Member

@wych yes, it was on one of our atoms. A SSD died without any warning after several months of usage. We replaced it with another one, which also died after two more weeks. Decided to replace the whole motherboard the second time, to be on the safe side.

• wojonswojons Member

There is an old system admin saying.

Friends dont let friends raid 0

• sc754sc754 Member
    edited June 2014

@jazz1611 said:
    Hi,

I'm looking about performance RAID0 or RAID1 on SSD (SSD-2 soyoustart). RAID0 on SSD have failure drive? What type RAID i should run? I buy this server for VPS selling. SSD (RAID0 or RAID1) will achieve I / O is how much? 120GB (RAID1) not enough for VPS selling. Hope anybody helpful me.

Regards,

Since you'd only still have 240GB in RAID 0, you could use RAID 0 and just backup daily to an external file server / cloud. Or better yet get 2 sata drives in RAID 1 and cache the data with 2 ssd's

• smansman Member
    edited June 2014

I look at SSD's the same way I look at DRAM. If you get one of two interlaced DRAM modules failing you are dead but it's rare so nobody worries about it. I think over time as people get more comfortable with SSD reliability people won't worry about it just like interlaced DRAM and then RAID0 will be common.

For now RAID1 would be my answer for hosting. When SSDs get a long track record of reliability and their write cycles get higher then it will be viewed as another acceptable single point of failure like DRAM. Could probably do it now with current generation enterprise SSD's but they are still quite expensive. I personally would not feel comfortable with it yet.

• @wojons said:
    There is an old system admin saying.
    Friends dont let friends raid 0

While I would agree with that for the most part (especially in the OP's case), there are uses for it, even in a server environment - mostly where redundancy exists at the system level.

It is possibly more accurate to say "Friends dont let friends inappropriately raid 0".

• smansman Member
    edited June 2014

@Microlinux said:
    It is possibly more accurate to say "Friends dont let friends inappropriately raid 0".

Old sayings never had solid state hard drives which are more like DRAM than a mechanical HD.

• rds100 said: @wych yes, it was on one of our atoms. A SSD died without any warning after several months of usage. We replaced it with another one, which also died after two more weeks. Decided to replace the whole motherboard the second time, to be on the safe side.

When PSU's are on their way out, they can also cause all kinds of problems to other components...

• Unfortunately RAID 1 with SSD's is not a sound idea. Unlike traditional HDD's, SSD's wear out over time. With a certain pattern of reads and writes, many SSD's will have a wear gauge that rather accurately estimates how much life they have left. With two SSD's in a RAID 1 configuration, their "wear" will be very similar. Therefore the two drives will 'fail' at almost the same time severely decreasing the RAID 1 protection that one expects.

• wychwych Member

@Chenevert said:
    Unfortunately RAID 1 with SSD's is not a sound idea. Unlike traditional HDD's, SSD's wear out over time. With a certain pattern of reads and writes, many SSD's will have a wear gauge that rather accurately estimates how much life they have left. With two SSD's in a RAID 1 configuration, their "wear" will be very similar. Therefore the two drives will 'fail' at almost the same time severely decreasing the RAID 1 protection that one expects.

You can get different batches to try and prevent this risk slightly.