Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Vultr: Failing at Math
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Vultr: Failing at Math

According to Vultr: Best Value = 2GB Plan

Wait a sec.... If we double the 1GB Plan:

Cheaper... And More????? Also, Isn't the trend for larger plans to get cheaper?

Comments

• Yep

• @Connorl said:

According to Vultr: Best Value = 2GB Plan

Wait a sec.... If we double the 1GB Plan:

Cheaper... And More????? Also, Isn't the trend for larger plans to get cheaper?

The jump from 2GB to 4GB is worse still.

• J1021J1021 Member

Thank you for this graphic, couldn't have worked it out for myself.

Thanked by 1udk
  • Virtovo said: The jump from 2GB to 4GB is worse still.

I was trying to highlight, that their 'Best Value Plan'.... well, isn't best value.

Good point though

• blackblack Member

This is a marketing tactic, in scholar terms, it's called asymmetric dominance.

Thanked by 2c0y tchen
  • Is there really a $70 a month plan?

• LeeLee Veteran

It's the same with DO and other providers.

• ConnorlConnorl Member
    edited June 2014

W1V_Lee said: It's the same with DO and other providers.

Fair enough, Just that I happened to be trying Vultr, just DO doesn't attempt to mis-sell. That is blatant lying to consumers.

• tr1ckytr1cky Member
    edited June 2014

What do you want. Can't you afford the 15$ server or why are you complaining? Stupid people who don't think about what they buy, aren't really affected if they buy the best value plan, as they don't think about it anyways and people like you would choose another plan, so what's the problem?

• I just take it as "best value" for Vultr, not necessarily their clients.

• tr1cky said: What do you want. Can't you afford the 15$ server or why are you complaining? Stupid people who don't think about what they buy, aren't really affected if they buy the best value plan, as they don't think about it anyways and people like you would choose another plan, so what's the problem?

Fair enough. I just don't think it is fair for the majority of consumers buying. Most will just look for the required amount of RAM, and assume it is the best value plan to buy, when clearly, it isn't

• LeeLee Veteran

@Connorl said:

I think you are reading too much into it, it's all marketing. If you look at DO they highlight the $10 plan, ok they are not calling it a "best value" but they are implying it.

The way most providers scale their plans is the same. The Vultr plan could be best value in comparison to a number of other providers and it is.

• This is why I like differential calculus.

• DH22DH22 Member
    edited June 2014

I have never understood VPS pricing. The price is usually proportional to the difference in memory. Yet most of the time transfer and storage only increase in small amounts. I feel the transfer and storage should increase by the same factor as the memory. So if price doubles and memory doubles, transfer and storage should too.

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran
    edited June 2014

@Connorl said:
    That is blatant lying to consumers.

No it isn't. It says the price right there :)

Also 2x 1GB vps is not equal to 1x 2GB vps, therefore value cannot be calculated in such a purely linear fashion. I'm opting not to expand on that, I'd like to think anyone running their own unmanaged server can put that logic together.

• Quick! Use the reference to find the instantaneous rate of change!

If you can find the rate of change between charges, you can find the additional charges substituted. ;P

• netomxnetomx Moderator, Veteran

@eddynetweb said:
    Quick! Use the reference to find the instantaneous rate of change!

If you can find the rate of change between charges, you can find the additional charges substituted. ;P

Sorry, that derivate is not for VPS

Thanked by 2eddynetweb dedicados
  • netomx said: Sorry, that derivate is not for VPS

I know, just something to munch on. Here's some real examples in finding derivatives:

Thanked by 1netomx
  • Master_BoMaster_Bo Member
    edited June 2014

Pricing at DO keeps the same ratio price/amount of RAM.

Pricing at Vultr gives worse results for higher plans. If I were using Vultr, I would perhaps set up cluster of lesser plans, for better cost-performance.

• perennateperennate Member, Host Rep

eddynetweb said: I know, just something to munch on. Here's some real examples in finding derivatives:

I the common values of languages that are used on the web???

• eddynetwebeddynetweb Member
    edited June 2014

perennate said: I the common values of languages that are used on the web???

I see what you did there. I don't know what I was thinking that night. Might have been delusional, heh. I'll change it one of these days.

EDIT: Changed it. :o

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

The logic is that larger plans are needed by bigger customers, are not just toys. It is also more difficult to maintain in a cloud environment, many small plans can fit wherever, but if a node with big plans fails (presuming there are more big plans on one), it will be harder to fit them on other nodes, therefore the ratio will have to be marginally bigger, such as N+3 or so, and even then you are not sure every big instance will fit, will have to have a free node in standby all the time.

Thanked by 1netomx
  • wojonswojons Member

When providers try to pull things like this i just stuck with what is the best for the money. so if you want to make more money from me keep the ratio the same other wise i will get ur smallest plan and call it a day.

• @Maounique said:
    The logic is that larger plans are needed by bigger customers, are not just toys. [...]

Whereas I agree with all the statements of yours, DO manages to keep the ratio constant. So it's nit mandatory to worsen cost-performance while making plan bigger. JMNSHO.

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran
    edited June 2014

Master_Bo said: DO manages to keep the ratio constant. So it's nit mandatory to worsen cost-performance while making plan bigger.

If you do not have fail-over, yeah, it is basically just a VPS. When you have fail-over, you need to keep redundancy and big plans are a PITA to manage in that case.

Thanked by 2mpkossen netomx
  • rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran
    edited June 2014

Connorl said: Cheaper... And More?????

What a silly thread, did it not occur to you that maybe, just maybe, "Best Value" is not about simply raw specs per dollar, but that having more RAM and cores in a single VPS can be more valuable for some uses, than having two separate VPSes with "More!!!" in specs. If that's still a difficult concept to grasp, consider that you can run some ram-heavy server app such as Minecraft on their "Best Value" plan, but you can't get two of the smaller plans which are "Cheaper and More" according to you, and run half of that Minecraft in each.

Thanked by 2Faizi jar
  • FaiziFaizi Member

How can you compare two 1GB Instances with one 2GB Instance?

Don't like em, Don't use em.

• Master_BoMaster_Bo Member
    edited June 2014

@Faizi said:
    How can you compare two 1GB Instances with one 2GB Instance?

When I know what is their purpose, comparison is simple and obvious. In general, yes, no way to compare.

Don't like em, Don't use em.

Come on, that's just opinions. If you like them, just use them.

• FritzFritz Veteran
    edited June 2014

I'm agree with @Maounique comment, more logical.