Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How much free disk space is OK?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

How much free disk space is OK?

kaflokaflo Member
edited June 2014 in Help

I have a VPS (used for a few WordPress sites) with 15gb space and now the available space is 1.2GB.

Does a relatively small disk space affect the performance of a VPS?

Or is it ok to fill it up until say only 100MB remain :D

Comments

• If it's OpenVZ, I still have it running fine. I have an OpenVZ with 100GB disk, and it's used almost 98% of it, and still running without problem.

Thanked by 1kaflo
  • kaflokaflo Member

It's a KVM VPS

• Do you have cache plugins installed? If there isn't enough space, the cache might not work; you are fine otherwise.

Thanked by 1kaflo
  • kaflokaflo Member

Yes, WP Super Cache.

• You can host your images or other files on an external server to save some space. Other than that, you'll be fine.

Thanked by 1kaflo
  • NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran
    edited June 2014

100MB is not enought, you could get problems with the installation of updates, 500MB at least should be free.

Thanked by 1kaflo
  • AlexanderMAlexanderM Member, Top Host, Host Rep

Have you checked your error_logs? Possible they have been filling up.

• With linux i would say 250/500MB, windows min 1-2GB

Thanked by 1kaflo
  • mikhomikho Member, Host Rep

It depends on what is filling the space, if it's log files that grows or if it's images/files you add when creating posts.

Some systems require more free disk space then others. The small business edition of Windows 2003 needs atleast 5 Gb free space on the system disk or Exchange would stop accepting emails.

Thanked by 2Maximum_VPS kaflo
  • camargcamarg Member
    edited June 2014

since it is a kvm some storage is being reserved for the root user. Your users will run out of disk space before the 15gb will be used. I think 2% is being reserved for the root. This is done so as processes running under root will continue to function even if you'll run out of hdd space. Also you ll be able to login to your server and fix things in case you'll run out of disk space.

Thanked by 2kaflo Mark_R
  • If you get a lot of visitors the logs will fill up, but you can delete them

• jcalebjcaleb Member

i think it will fragment if too small disk,hence slower.

Thanked by 1kaflo
  • M66BM66B Veteran
    edited June 2014

Fragmentation will occur when there is little disk space left, but fragmentation will not be your main problem at that moment (speaking about Linux here, not about Windows).

Thanked by 1kaflo