Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Docker drops LXC as default execution environment - advise me the best EU VPS deal!
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Docker drops LXC as default execution environment - advise me the best EU VPS deal!

djvdorpdjvdorp Member
edited June 2014 in General

Just read this:

Docker drops LXC as default execution environment:
http://blog.docker.com/2014/03/docker-0-9-introducing-execution-drivers-and-libcontainer/

I looked into Docker a while ago but as almost all high-ram LEB VPSes are OpenVZ or something else than KVM I couldn't really play with it. But from now on I should be able to!

"First, we are introducing an execution driver API which can be used to customize the execution environment surrounding each container. This allows Docker to take advantage of the numerous isolation tools available, each with their particular tradeoffs and install base: OpenVZ, systemd-nspawn, libvirt-lxc, libvirt-sandbox, qemu/kvm, BSD Jails, Solaris Zones, and even good old chroot. This is in addition to LXC, which will continue to be available as a driver of its own."

Can anybody give me a good tip regarding the best bang-for-buck EU VPS with high RAM that will support Docker now? Been out of here for a while so missed a lot of deals and experiences! Thanks in advance :)

Comments

• GunterGunter Member

VPSDime should be launching an NL node anytime soon. @serverian

• djvdorpdjvdorp Member
    edited June 2014

@William @Edis @ExPl0ReR any experience with WaveRide and Docker?

• djvdorpdjvdorp Member
    edited June 2014

@prometeus @Maounique how about your budget brand and Docker?

• GunterGunter Member

@prometeus how about your budget brand and Docker?

Overzold is a pretty awesome service.

• GunterGunter Member

@william any experience with WaveRide and Docker?

When I used Waveride in Austria a few years back, it could've been better. It wasn't solid but it was reasonably reliable. It's a budget brand after all.

• Basically, what this means is Docker'll run on anything that's not an OpenVZ vm (it'll run on the host node, although in all my digging I've not found docs to layer vm's).

• djvdorpdjvdorp Member
    edited June 2014

Rallias said: Basically, what this means is Docker'll run on anything that's not an OpenVZ vm (it'll run on the host node, although in all my digging I've not found docs to layer vm's).

Hmm, I thought the whole point was that it should run inside an OpenVZ vm. Not sure though, hence why I'm sharing.

@Ash_Hawkridge @getkvm any experience with GetKVM and Docker?

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

We have enough headaches with new technologies right now in iwstack. This means all our budget offers will be running proven platforms, such as Xen over solus. We might launch a KVM budget brand too, kvmpower.eu and it domains are ready but it will probably be with SSD, perhaps proxmox.

• AdducAdduc Member

Docker requires the ability to create network bridges/interfaces. The daemon doesn't start without this ability. The blog post linked may indicate the ability to manage OpenVZ guests, but does not indicate the ability to run docker from within OpenVZ guests.

Thanked by 1AstroProfundis
  • djvdorpdjvdorp Member
    edited June 2014

How about this then:

"Better than VMs

A common method for distributing applications and sandboxing their execution is to use virtual machines, or VMs. Typical VM formats are VMWare's vmdk, Oracle Virtualbox's vdi, and Amazon EC2's ami. In theory these formats should allow every developer to automatically package their application into a "machine" for easy distribution and deployment. In practice, that almost never happens, for a few reasons:

Size: VMs are very large which makes them impractical to store and transfer.
    Performance: running VMs consumes significant CPU and memory, which makes them impractical in many scenarios, for example local development of multi-tier applications, and large-scale deployment of cpu and memory-intensive applications on large numbers of machines.
    Portability: competing VM environments don't play well with each other. Although conversion tools do exist, they are limited and add even more overhead.
    Hardware-centric: VMs were designed with machine operators in mind, not software developers. As a result, they offer very limited tooling for what developers need most: building, testing and running their software. For example, VMs offer no facilities for application versioning, monitoring, configuration, logging or service discovery.

By contrast, Docker relies on a different sandboxing method known as containerization. Unlike traditional virtualization, containerization takes place at the kernel level. Most modern operating system kernels now support the primitives necessary for containerization, including Linux with openvz, vserver and more recently lxc, Solaris with zones and FreeBSD with Jails.

Docker builds on top of these low-level primitives to offer developers a portable format and runtime environment that solves all 4 problems. Docker containers are small (and their transfer can be optimized with layers), they have basically zero memory and cpu overhead, they are completely portable and are designed from the ground up with an application-centric design.

The best part: because Docker operates at the OS level, it can still be run inside a VM!"
    Source: https://github.com/dotcloud/docker/blob/6297f333bdfe460dd2724d80c7c454ac694a8ed3/README.md

• Maounique said: We have enough headaches with new technologies right now in iwstack. This means all our budget offers will be running proven platforms, such as Xen over solus. We might launch a KVM budget brand too, kvmpower.eu and it domains are ready but it will probably be with SSD, perhaps proxmox.

Thanks for the info. I would be much interested in kvmpower.eu services. Where are lowend xen services then?

And do you happen to know why OverZold is not 5GBP anymore but now 6.5GBP a month?

• djvdorpdjvdorp Member
    edited June 2014

I just decided that I needed a test-drive myself, so I grabbed the 4GB OpenVZ WaveRide.at VPS.

First try on a clean Ubuntu 14.04 LTS install:

apt-get update && apt-get upgrade
    apt-get install docker.io
    ln -sf /usr/bin/docker.io /usr/local/bin/docker
    docker run -i -t ubuntu /bin/bash

And got:

2014/06/05 11:13:19 Cannot connect to the Docker daemon. Is 'docker -d' running on this host?

Docker -d wasn't running indeed:

root@gjc1tb69:~# docker -d
    2014/06/05 11:13:26 WARNING: You are running linux kernel version 2.6.32-042stab088.4, which might be unstable running docker. Please upgrade your kernel to 3.8.0.
    [/var/lib/docker|79183572] +job serveapi(unix:///var/run/docker.sock)
    [/var/lib/docker|79183572] +job initserver()
    [/var/lib/docker|79183572.initserver()] Creating server
    2014/06/05 11:13:26 Listening for HTTP on unix (/var/run/docker.sock)
    [/var/lib/docker|79183572] +job init_networkdriver()
    [/var/lib/docker|79183572.init_networkdriver()] creating new bridge for docker0
    Error creating bridge: inappropriate ioctl for device
    [/var/lib/docker|79183572] -job init_networkdriver() = ERR (1)
    Error creating bridge: inappropriate ioctl for device
    [/var/lib/docker|79183572] -job initserver() = ERR (1)
    2014/06/05 11:13:26 Error creating bridge: inappropriate ioctl for device

This might be due to an old kernel used?

root@gjc1tb69:~# uname --all
    Linux gjc1tb69 2.6.32-042stab088.4 #1 SMP Thu Apr 3 17:41:05 MSK 2014 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux
    root@gjc1tb69:~# lsb_release -a
    No LSB modules are available.
    Distributor ID: Ubuntu
    Description:    Ubuntu 14.04 LTS
    Release:        14.04
    Codename:       trusty

UPDATE: Same on Debian 7.

• No, it won't work on OpenVZ as far as i know at all.

• djvdorpdjvdorp Member
    edited June 2014

No success on CentOS 6 either:

[root@gjc1tb69 ~]# docker -d
    2014/06/05 11:36:50 WARNING: You are running linux kernel version 2.6.32-042stab088.4, which might be unstable running docker. Please upgrade your kernel to 3.8.0.
    2014/06/05 11:36:50 docker daemon: 0.11.1 fb99f99/0.11.1; execdriver: native; graphdriver:
    [17a91604] +job serveapi(unix:///var/run/docker.sock)
    [17a91604] +job initserver()
    [17a91604.initserver()] Creating server
    2014/06/05 11:36:50 Listening for HTTP on unix (/var/run/docker.sock)
    [17a91604] +job init_networkdriver()
    [17a91604.init_networkdriver()] creating new bridge for docker0
    inappropriate ioctl for device
    [17a91604] -job init_networkdriver() = ERR (1)
    inappropriate ioctl for device
    [17a91604] -job initserver() = ERR (1)
    2014/06/05 11:36:50 inappropriate ioctl for device
    [root@gjc1tb69 ~]# sudo service docker start
    Starting cgconfig service: Error: cannot mount cpuset to /cgroup/cpuset: No such file or directory
    /sbin/cgconfigparser; error loading /etc/cgconfig.conf: Cgroup mounting failed
    Failed to parse /etc/cgconfig.conf                         [FAILED]
    Starting docker:                                       [  OK  ]
    [root@gjc1tb69 ~]# uname --all
    Linux gjc1tb69.vps.waveride.at 2.6.32-042stab088.4 #1 SMP Thu Apr 3 17:41:05 MSK 2014 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

Might make sense, as Docker.io site mentions:
    You will need RHEL 6.5 or higher, with a RHEL 6 kernel version 2.6.32-431 or higher as this has specific kernel fixes to allow Docker to work.

And the kernel is:
    2.6.32-042stab088.4

UPDATE: Same on Fedora20.

• AdducAdduc Member

Docker will not run within an OpenVZ guest. In an OpenVZ guest, it does not have sufficient kernelmode permissions to perform the actions it needs to take.

Thanked by 1Maounique
  • Adduc said: Docker will not run within an OpenVZ guest. In an OpenVZ guest, it does not have sufficient kernelmode permissions to perform the actions it needs to take.

This.

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran
    edited June 2014

Containers cannot control the kernel. While you have root rights over your files and userland apps you will not be able to control the kernel unless in specific situations. It will not work regardless of the kernel version or OS.