Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Good projects to donate spare bandwidth/resources to?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Good projects to donate spare bandwidth/resources to?

I'm looking for some good projects to contribute some of my spare server resources to. I have a dedicated server and a couple (mostly) idle VPS's that have spare resources, largely storage & bandwidth. I was curious if anyone had ideas for good projects to contribute to or donate some of these resources?

The dedi is mostly for cpu intensive tasks, and the VPS's are running a few small things that I could do without - but I've paid yearly/quarterly on them and could be put to better use in the meantime.

I'm currently seeding ubuntu/debian torrents, providing some backup space/web hosting to friends, but am open to any/all ideas. I've seen others mention Tor relays which I'm open to, but I don't have any experience with Tor and it kinda makes me nervous.

Comments

• we have been hosting mirrors of tails and whonix for a long time. you are welcome to join in :)

Thanked by 1mike0000
  • berkayberkay Member

A non-exit Tor relay would be just fine, you can set the data limit per month and the bandwidth rate you'd want Tor to use, after those it doesn't need anything else. I don't think you'd get any abuse as it doesn't provide exits. At least I haven't gotten one.

Thanked by 2mike0000 rm_
  • I would not be nervous with helping the Tor network. There are many very helpful developers out there. Get a hold of one, or check out the mailing list.

You could mirror the Tor-project website. They want as many IP address host the Tor site as possible - its just a basic rsync every couple of hours (40+'ish GB).

The Tor network will also send you a shirt if you have your "fast" node online for 2 months. My fastest Node uses around 1 TB a month.

You might also look at supporting some of the Thin Bitcoin wallets. For example Electrum (https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Electrum) would love your help (and a dedicated server). The issue being the N times growth of the Bitcoin chain (storage space).

Thanked by 1mike0000
  • @Silvenga said:

The Tor network will also send you a shirt if you have your "fast" node online for 2 months. My fastest Node uses around 1 TB a month.

https://www.torproject.org/getinvolved/tshirt.html

Thanked by 2Silvenga Falco33
  • @zionvps said:
    we have been hosting mirrors of tails and whonix for a long time. you are welcome to join in :)

Awesome. I think I shall join you :) Will spend some time setting up the mirrors tonight.

Thanked by 1zionvps
  • trexostrexos Member
    edited June 2014

I got this email bout a free tor shirt two months ago, I wrote them two tjmes and never heard back:(

• khavkhav Member

I decided to use one of my Ramnode box to host a tor relay(non exit).It was sitting idle anyways so i thought why not help the community:P

• iceTwyiceTwy Member

@trexos said:
    I got this email bout a free tor shirt two months ago, I wrote them two tjmes and never heard back:(

Don't you have to be signed up to the Tor Weather email list?

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran
    edited June 2014

Personally I don't even bother, also none of my relays have contact info set (because they're UNDERCOVER :D), I'll just consider the fact of me not requesting the T-shirt as a monetary donation to the Tor project equaling to the amount it costs to make and send the T-shirt.

• trexostrexos Member

@iceTwy said:

I am.

• khavkhav Member

@rm_

The tee-shirt does look good however...would be awesome to wear this at university.
    Who knows maybe more people will know about tor in the process

• @Silvenga said:
    I would not be nervous with helping the Tor network. There are many very helpful developers out there. Get a hold of one, or check out the mailing list.

You could mirror the Tor-project website. They want as many IP address host the Tor site as possible - its just a basic rsync every couple of hours (40+'ish GB).

You might also look at supporting some of the Thin Bitcoin wallets. For example Electrum (https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Electrum) would love your help (and a dedicated server). The issue being the N times growth of the Bitcoin chain (storage space).

do you need to pay for the shipment fee?

• wcypierre said: do you need to pay for the shipment fee?

Although I have no cites, I doubt it. Many members of the Tor Network do not want their financial information leaked.

• blackblack Member

Join the NTP pool ? Make sure you secure it as well.

• I guess I can put my idle VPS to some use. (Non-exit) though.

• @Silvenga said:
    Although I have no cites, I doubt it. Many members of the Tor Network do not want their financial information leaked.

you didn't received one yet? I thought that you did from what you've said

• Just don't get arrested running an exit node like @William ...

• @linuxthefish said:
    Just don't get arrested running an exit node like William ...

Non-exit wouldn't be a problem right?

• iceTwyiceTwy Member
    edited June 2014

@Falco33 said:

No, there is (virtually) no risk at all to run a Tor relay node. Hence why some providers accept those despite forbidding exit nodes.

Thanked by 1Falco33
  • Shoaib_AShoaib_A Member
    edited June 2014

There are lot of good non-profit projects around then why is everyone suggesting tor nodes?

• @K2Bytes said:
    There are lot of good non-profit projects around then why is everyone suggesting tor nodes?

Suggestions? :) I'm apparently doing F@H but that uses CPU instead of bandwidth

• chrispchrisp Member

@K2Bytes said:

Now is your chance to mention them. I would like to contribute to some non-profit projects as well, but I dont know any apart from what was mentioned here now.