Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Suggest 5Ghz AP that can do at least 150mbit speeds under $100
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Suggest 5Ghz AP that can do at least 150mbit speeds under $100

CoreyCorey Member

Can anyone suggest a 5Ghz wireless AP that can do at least 150mbit speeds under $100? I took a look at mikrotik but it looks like all their stuff is on 2.4Ghz. I can't use 2.4Ghz because I live in an apartment and the whole band is used up causing interference with my network.

Comments

• Linksys ?

• CoreyCorey Member

@alexvolk said:
    Linksys ?

I'm already aware of brand names. I'm looking for model numbers that maybe someone here has used.

• you may be able to buy a cheap virgin media superhub (although its a docsis router u can use it as a normal router

• MCHPhilMCHPhil Member
    edited June 2014

I have 10 or so of the unifi ap not pro in use. Love them. I like the engenius line up also. I went with the unifi ap because it is set up and forget. I use openwrt on them also. That was a pita, install is fine, configuration was another story. Openwrt expects more device and needs simplified to work correctly on the unifi ap.

Routerboard is something also :D Though I have none of these in use. I plan to.

Edit: Unifi AP is only 2.4 AP PRO is 2.4+5. I use the Unifi AP in bigger buildings where interference is not an issue.

• pcanpcan Member

Apple airport express (list price $99) is the best choice if you use Apple products.
    If you dont'use iPad/iPhod/iPhones, forget it because it does not have a web or telnet interface.

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran
    edited June 2014

I use this one http://www.aliexpress.com/item/TP-LINK-TL-WDR4310-Wireless-N750-Dual-Band-Router-Gigabit-2-4GHz-300Mbps-5GHZ-300Mbps-2/917766695.html
    May come with a Chinese firmware, but flashable to normal OpenWRT with no issues whatsoever.
    Beware of the newer WDR7500, where OpenWRT may not support the 5GHz part.

Thanked by 1Corey
  • CoreyCorey Member
    edited June 2014

I was looking at the TP-Link ones but I wasn't sure if they were good. How long have you had yours? @rm_

Thanked by 1netomx
  • rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran
    edited June 2014

For a year or so. TP-Link is top-notch quality and usually have good OpenWRT compatibility (but re-check in their wiki before buying). Aside from that one I also use a WR741ND, and a WR703N. Not sure actually how is the stock firmware, I just install OpenWRT right away.

Thanked by 2Corey netomx
  • CoreyCorey Member

rm_ said: For a year or so. TP-Link is top-notch quality and usually have good OpenWRT compatibility (but re-check in their wiki before buying). Aside from that one I also use a WR741ND, and a WR703N. Not sure actually how is the stock firmware, I just install OpenWRT right away.

Sounds like something I would do. I think I'm going to go with TP-Link now :)

Thanked by 1netomx
  • Ubnt is to notch

• TP-link I can't say anything bad about. I have a spare TP-link wireless-n USB adapter that just rocks. I also suggested a few of those, model specific, sorry I don't know model off top of head. The $15 wireless-n usb adapter by TP-link. I digress, though to a law firm and they loved them.

Thanked by 2Corey netomx
  • I was able to get a couple of Western Digital MyNet N750's for cheap (~$30 AUD) as they're discontinued. Fully compatible with OpenWrt and I see about 250Mbps iperf throughput even at medium range.

Otherwise I'd suggest the TP-Link WDR4300 as others have said. Same exact chipset as the WD (and equally awesome with OpenWrt), but proper external antennae.

You really need a 3-stream card to reliably get more than 150Mbps. I just use my MacBook's onboard Broadcom chipset although the TP-Link WDN4800 ought to work well as a desktop adaptor.

Thanked by 1Corey
  • ATHKATHK Member

I've got one of these, not sure of the price in your area.. brilliant little machine.

http://www.netgear.com.au/home/products/networking/modem-routers/d6300.aspx#tab-techspecs

• WD MyNet N600 is the cheapest one providing you 300Mbps. A used one is less than $20 on amazon.

• @VictorZhang said:
    WD MyNet N600 is the cheapest one providing you 300Mbps. A used one is less than $20 on amazon.

It only has a 100Mbps switch, the highest TCP traffic you're ever going to see is 94Mbps.

• drserverdrserver Member, Host Rep
    edited June 2014

what i can guarantee you is that you will not get 150mbps even in lab environment with cheap APs and routers. If you really need that speed you are actually locked to 2 "cheap" options: Ubnt or Mikrotik

tp-link is generic hardware and it is cheap and it is doing the job but believe me it is not even near top notch. You will never hit real 150 mbps between 2 APs.

If you wish to play with your setup, you can use whatever you wish that supports any of popular WRT systems, but if you wish to have power on and forget system, you are out of options except 2 of mentioned above in that budget range.

Thanked by 2linuxthefish Bablimi
  • wychwych Member

The TP Link boxes I have owned have been great; but I do agree with what @drserver said.

• drserverdrserver Member, Host Rep
    edited June 2014

wych said: TP Link boxes

I have one range extender and one AP at my home. They are doing the job. I don't get advertised speed but i don't need it. Sometime they need reboot, i use auto reboot function on failed pings.

Bottom line, as always you will get what you paid. Ubnt have motorola background, mikrotik has military background... that costs more and do better, but cheap and expensive works.

• MakenaiMakenai Member
    edited June 2014

@rm_ said:
    For a year or so. TP-Link is top-notch quality and usually have good OpenWRT compatibility (but re-check in their wiki before buying). Aside from that one I also use a WR741ND, and a WR703N. Not sure actually how is the stock firmware, I just install OpenWRT right away.

Yeah they were compatible with OpenWRT, but certain wireless chips had issues with getting 40mhz MCS to work and were running at maximum of 150mbps theoretical speed, instead of factory firmware advertised 300mbps.
    I can't really find the device, which had this issue, but I think it was 1043ND and some versions of 841ND.

To be honest I've never gotten past 80mbps mark on any of TP-Link routers, even after disabling encryption and having only one client.

• +1 for Ubiquity and Mikrotik aswell.