Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Apple Unveils Mac OS X 10.10 Yosemite (WWDC)
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Apple Unveils Mac OS X 10.10 Yosemite (WWDC)

GaNiGaNi Member

Are they trying to make a common UI for iOS and Mac OS now?

Comments

• Looks good. It'll all depend on how third party app makers use it though I guess...

I'll be upgrading once the hackintosh build is stable

• Host4GeeksHost4Geeks Member, Host Rep

This goes down as one of the best WWDCs that I've seen. Would have loved a new product (hint: iPhone 6) but with all the updates / releases, no regrets whatsoever.

• jhjh Member

I love it

• Host4Geeks said: This goes down as one of the best WWDCs that I've seen. Would have loved a new product (hint: iPhone 6) but with all the updates / releases, no regrets whatsoever.

They don't do iPhone/iPad/iPod releases at WWDC now, just software (inc iOS). They will be later in the year.

• Would love to see the iOS 8 update coming to my iPad soon :)

• joodle said: Would love to see the iOS 8 update coming to my iPad soon :)

Well it'll be on torrents by tonight but I'd give it a few days if you wanna go the dev beta route for people to do some testing. Or use your Apple Developer account if you have one.

If not it'll prob be out in full Sept/Oct latest in time for new products.

• Host4GeeksHost4Geeks Member, Host Rep

@AThomasHowe said:

It was definitely speculated, specially with that leak (albeit fake) video.

• AThomasHoweAThomasHowe Member
    edited June 2014

It's been end of the year for new hardware for the past two years, although you do get variants sometimes like 128GB. Most people weren't expecting new hardware anyway. They won't move from the holiday season.

• lowendmac.com

• I had to work with a MAC today. It was a traumatic experience. I had to go command line to find anything. I returned to my Windows 8, work computer and for some reason it felt so much faster.

• Thanked by 1Silvenga
  • AmitzAmitz Member
    edited June 2014

@Silvenga said:
    I had to work with a MAC today. It was a traumatic experience. I had to go command line to find anything. I returned to my Windows 8, work computer and for some reason it felt so much faster.

Funny. I feel EXACTLY the same when I had to work with a Windows computer and am able to happily return to my OS X machine... ;) My eyes are bleeding everytime I see a Windows Desktop.

Thanked by 2Pwner GaNi
  • l'm still using 10.7

• @Amitz said:
    Funny. I feel EXACTLY the same when I had to work with a Windows computer and am able to happily return to my OS X machine... ;) My eyes are bleeding everytime I see a Windows Desktop.

Seriously. How can anyone get real work done without Exposé/Mission Control? (+ Hot Corners)

• I question how anything gets down without a right mouse button. :P If both Linux and Windows recognize the importance of a right mouse button then I would have to argue that the button is helpful.

And then the animations. I swear, it felt like forever waiting for those animations to complete.

• AmitzAmitz Member
    edited June 2014

@mikeyur said:
    Seriously. How can anyone get real work done without Exposé/Mission Control? (+ Hot Corners)

But it is not that I can't understand the frustration. I was using Windows for over a decade and always hated when I had to use one of those bloody Macs. But after the "switch", everything became vice versa. Creatures of habit, that's all we are! :)

@Silvenga said:
    I question how anything gets down without a right mouse button. :P If both Linux and Windows recognize the importance of a right mouse button then I would have to argue that the button is helpful.

There is a right mousebutton in OS X. It's been there a long time already!

• So it was out few hours ago, did anyone upgrade?

• GaNi said: So it was out few hours ago, did anyone upgrade?

Yes, was a flawless upgrade. So far....

• InfinityInfinity Member, Host Rep

@GaNi said:
    So it was out few hours ago, did anyone upgrade?

It was out since last night, I upgraded last night and it works all fine. My only complaint is that the "maximise window" button is now a full screen button. I sort of miss a maximise button.

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

Working great on the old dual core white MacBook. It's amazing how long they support these laptops for.

• emgemg Veteran

@GaNI said, "So it was out few hours ago, did anyone upgrade?"

>

@Infinity said, "It was out since last night, I upgraded last night and it works all fine. My only complaint is that the "maximise window" button is now a full screen button. I sort of miss a maximise button."

I have had the beta running in a virtual machine since June. I upgraded it to the release version on Thursday evening. I will wait several months before installing it on any of my production machines, including the server. At least one program (GPGkey) is not yet updated for Yosemite. No doubt there are more.

The behavior of the green expand/maximize button depends on several factors, including the fact that there is no standard for what an application window used to do when you clicked on the green expand button in Mavericks. Now it is even more complicated in Yosemite, depending on whether the application supports full screen mode or not.

If the application does not support full screen (such as Activity Monitor) then the green button is still a "+" and it expands the window the same as it did in Mavericks. If the program supports full screen (such as App Store), then the default behavior is the double arrow (full screen). If you hold the option key down when you click the green button, then the behavior reverts back to the old expand/maximize behavior.

• Upgraded Macbookpro to Yosemite, it is a great OS.. good integration with IOS8 as well.
    The good thing about apple is they try to support most of the old devices whenever they launch a new OS and also same day.. not like some other companies like Samsung :{

• Running on Samsung 840 256 EVO, I must say boot time increased slightly(+4 secs, fresh against Mavericks).

• Not sure whether I like the look of the UI yet.

• @kcaj said:
    Not sure whether I like the look of the UI yet.

To be honest I don't like it. It looks cheap. The icons are bad.

• @Jack said:
    WHY DOES IT FULL SCREEN STUFF WITH THE MAXIMISE BUTTON.

APPLE YOU'RE DOING IT WRONG.

meanwhile http://manytricks.com/moom/

• LOL pays $10 for functionality that should be built-in.

• working good hear, the interface is a fresh change

• We have nothing to do with the Mac OS. We are Windows lovers. Powering more than 90% of worldwide computers.

• InfinityInfinity Member, Host Rep

@Jack said:
    WHY DOES IT FULL SCREEN STUFF WITH THE MAXIMISE BUTTON.

APPLE YOU'RE DOING IT WRONG.

Ikr.. ;(

@TheKiller said:
    We have nothing to do with the Mac OS. We are Windows lovers. Powering more than 90% of worldwide computers.

You're a bad troll.