Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Uses for Windows Servers?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Uses for Windows Servers?

GunterGunter Member
edited June 2014 in General

I'm actually a little confused what Windows Servers do better in than Ubuntu/Debian servers.

Are there any actual use cases outside of an enterprise enviroment and more in line with LEB uses?

Seems like services such as winity.io are useless for the most part, unless you had a sudden urge to use it as a workstation.

Thanked by 2albertdb rm_

Comments

• I sometimes use them to upload stuff such as ISO's

• IIS, easy ASP/ASP.NET, don't trust Mono for corporate purposes, support, because they're familiar with it, because they want to try something new, remote desktop, testing and development... lots of reasons.

Thanked by 1ehab
  • Let me field this question on behalf of all my Chinese and Indonesian clients...

" JingLing " . An atrocious software released by SpiritSoft.cn which absolutely destroys your I/O by swapping like mad and using all resources possible at all times.

Thanked by 1Noerman
  • AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

exchange.

• BayuBayu Member

Just good for play, not for production :P

• GunterGunter Member

@GoodHosting said:
    Let me field this question on behalf of all my Chinese and Indonesian clients...

" JingLing " . An atrocious software released by SpiritSoft.cn which absolutely destroys your I/O by swapping like mad and using all resources possible at all times.

While we're at it, would anyone please explain what Jingling is, how it works and the purpose of its existence?

• darknyan said: While we're at it, would anyone please explain what Jingling is, how it works and the purpose of its existence?

IIRC it's one of those "grey hat" SEO tools in the same vein as SENuke and stuff which used to spam blog comments to get back links. Not sure what the method of Jingling is though.

Thanked by 1Gunter
  • JingLing just spams fake views, but it is so terribly coded... using ieframes and such, it destroys your node's I/O due to swapping of temporary files to and from RAM [ Temporary Internet Files ] .

Which, by the way, cannot be disabled.

Thanked by 2Gunter AThomasHowe
  • AThomasHoweAThomasHowe Member
    edited June 2014

GoodHosting said: JingLing just spams fake views, but it is so terribly coded... using ieframes and such, it destroys your node's I/O due to swapping of temporary files to and from RAM [ Temporary Internet Files ] .

So it just goes through a proxy list or something visiting your links? I assume IE frame because the coder is incompetent but still wanted to render ads etc for earnings, analytics etc.

• GunterGunter Member

@joodle said:
    I sometimes use them to upload stuff such as ISO's

Wouldn't xrdp and a xubuntu desktop suffice?

• @darknyan said:
    Wouldn't xrdp and a xubuntu desktop suffice?

It does, but i like windows more :P

• darknyan said: Wouldn't xrdp and a xubuntu desktop suffice?

Well, even wget and curl can POST data, for torrents there's rTorrent and obviously there's countless ftp variants. Certainly don't need a GUI at all :)

• I have the biggest Winity.io package which hosts some SEO tools like Scrapebox & GSA - which I run through a set of dedicated proxies.

I could run it in a VM at home (I'm a Mac user), but when the tools are going they can use a steady 0.5 to 5mbps of bandwidth. And as someone who has an internet cap (damn you Shaw Cable), a steady 0.5 mbps connection would potentially put me over my cap when combined with my regular bandwidth usage.

It's basically an external windows box for me, running Windows-specific software. I RDP in a couple times a week to use or test various Windows-only software, it's already running so it's even easier than firing up my local VM.

• GunterGunter Member
    edited June 2014

@mikeyur said:
    I have the biggest Winity.io package which hosts some SEO tools like Scrapebox & GSA - which I run through a set of dedicated proxies.

I could run it in a VM at home (I'm a Mac user), but when the tools are going they can use a steady 0.5 to 5mbps of bandwidth. And as someone who has an internet cap (damn you Shaw Cable), a steady 0.5 mbps connection would potentially put me over my cap when combined with my regular bandwidth usage.

It's basically an external windows box for me, running Windows-specific software. I RDP in a couple times a week to use or test various Windows-only software, it's already running so it's even easier than firing up my local VM.

I've never actually had the internet cap enforced on me, being a current Shaw customer. A couple months I've gone past 1.2 TBs and nobody ever batted an eye. Unless you live in Alberta (their peering sucks and is frequently overloaded last time I checked), Shaw doesn't usually care.

• You could just not use tools that spam blogs @mikeyur, that's an option.

• @darknyan said:
    I've never actually had the internet cap enforced on me, being a current Shaw customer. A couple months I've gone past 1.2 TBs and nobody ever batted an eye. Unless you live in Alberta (their peering sucks and is frequently overloaded last time I checked), Shaw doesn't usually care.

I'm in Vancouver. I haven't hit my cap (400 or 500GB) but a friend did, and they used the 'bump up' program to move him from a $60 package to a $100-something dollar package for that month. I'd just rather not risk it.

@AThomasHowe said:
    You could just not use tools that spam blogs mikeyur, that's an option.

Very presumptuous of you. Scrapebox sounds like a big bad tool, but I only use the harvest/check/ping functions - never post. I use this for getting data about 100s of URLs in one go (ie. PageRank), or scraping Google results to keep an eye on competitors.

Blogs are a really crappy place to spam. Haven't had any real value out of blog comment links in years.

• GunterGunter Member

@mikeyur Its probably because I don't live near any apartments so the density is far less in terms of concurrent usage.

• mikeyur said: Very presumptuous of you. Scrapebox sounds like a big bad tool, but I only use the harvest/check/ping functions - never post. I use this for getting data about 100s of URLs in one go (ie. PageRank), or scraping Google results to keep an eye on competitors.

Well excuse me if you're actually the one user who will use these for legit purposes, but you can see how you seem suspect, especially seeing as you said it takes a steady amount of bandwidth and that you use proxy servers. Can't you ping your competitor from your real IP?

• edited June 2014

I use it for game servers because it makes them easier to run. :P

Edit: I've been experimenting with ubuntu desktop and rdp, but most ways to do it seem to be -very- laggy.

• @AThomasHowe said:
    Well excuse me if you're actually the one user who will use these for legit purposes, but you can see how you seem suspect, especially seeing as you said it takes a steady amount of bandwidth and that you use proxy servers. Can't you ping your competitor from your real IP?

The applications themselves require a dedicated connection [ always on ] , and many people will eventually block your IP if you ping them the same time every day for a year... heh.

• mikhomikho Member, Host Rep

Mssql, exchange (as mentioned), any app that is not ported to *nix dists.

• @AThomasHowe said:

You can definitely ping/scrape your competitors from a single IP, but this is more about pinging various services.. so PageRank API, Google/Bing search results, etc. If you do too many Google searches from your home IP (manually) in a certain time frame, you'll get a 12-24hr soft ban where you need to enter a captcha every time you use any Google service.

These tools are built for speed. I could manually do 30 Google searches, digging 10 pages deep.. but it would take me awhile and most likely I'd get a soft ban after search 15 or 16.

If I spread those 30 searches across 10-15 proxies, with an automated scraper on top of it, it'll do it in seconds and none of the IPs will get banned.

@GoodHosting said:
    The applications themselves require a dedicated connection [ always on ] , and many people will eventually block your IP if you ping them the same time every day for a year... heh.

Yeah, pretty much this. I usually have a few things queued up and use some automation/macro tools so I can set it up once and let it run, plus I have jobs that run hourly/daily/weekly.

• StarryStarry Member, Host Rep

For MSSQL.

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran
    edited June 2014

OK, I came here curious for windows server usages, but havent found many:
    1. Mono replacement for people using advanced features and needing support;
    2. Games (though I am not sure on this one);
    3. SEO tools, mostly grey or blackhat.

I use it on my own server behind a virtual router as a desktop. I really like it when people peek in trains or some other place in the mountains on XP on my phone (when I do RDP). But that is not the real reason, but the fact that I really like XP, I do have some licenses, I hate flash on linux, I have great connection there so it is absolutely lag free even for sound (though movies are choppy due to rendering, I presume since i have crappy desktops). Also, some 1 year ago completely lost connection with windows and i found myself struggling when people brought me computers to repair, having to work on it every day is keeping me in touch.

• I use mine for the following purposes:

• Microsoft Office

• Visual Studio

• Developing

• Work + Note Taking

• ehabehab Member

@0xdragon said:
    I use mine for the following purposes:

• Microsoft Office

• Visual Studio

• Developing

• Work + Note Taking

what server specs are you using if i may ask?

• Legitimate uses for a Windows Server:

• "Always On" remote office! This one is really useful.
    • Continuous Integration that requires compiling on Windows
    • Graphical applications requiring Windows [ C4D, some rendering programs, etc. ]
  • rds100rds100 Member

GoodHosting said: "Always On" remote office! This one is really useful.

Which microsoft office version can you use with a windows server?

• @GoodHosting said:

Legitimate uses for a Windows Server:

• "Always On" remote office! This one is really useful.
    • Continuous Integration that requires compiling on Windows
    • Graphical applications requiring Windows [ C4D, some rendering programs, etc. ]
    • Minesweeper
  • @rds100 said:

I didn't mean actual Microsoft Office per se. It's more the fact that you can keep your tabs / documents open without ever having to close them, unlike with a desktop that you would power down at nights, or a laptop that may die or catch fire / be damaged / etc.

Of course, it's all for naught if your host doesn't safeguard your data, but that's another story for another thread.