Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

AMD FX-8350 vs Intel Core i5 4570 for Gaming
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

AMD FX-8350 vs Intel Core i5 4570 for Gaming

BlazeMuisBlazeMuis Member
edited May 2014 in Help

I'm in a bit of a struggle right now, i can not choose between the AMD FX-8350 and the Intel Core i5 4570

A lot of people are saying choose the AMD if you play games like CoD, BF4 and Crysis, and go for the Intel if you play MMO Games (WoW, Starcraft 2, Diablo 3)

The problem is, i play both, so i have no idea which CPU to choose for my new rig i will be building next week

The difference between the AMD and Intel is only €50

The other things that will get build into my new gaming rig:

Motherboard: (For AMD: Gigabyte GA-970A-UD3P) (For Intel: Gigabyte G1.Sniper B5)

Graphics Card: 2x MSI Radeon R9 270X (Crossfire, 2nd will be build in at the end of next month)

RAM: 8GB DDR3 1600Mhz RAM (Crucial Ballistix Tactical, will be upgraded to 16GB at the end of next month)

120GB Samsung EVO SSD & 1TB WD Blue HDD

I always had AMD builds, loved the performance, i also had a FX-8120 1.5 years ago (sold that rig)

Would be great if someone could help me out

Currently i would go for the AMD, because i can use the €50 for a new keyboard :P

Comments

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran
    edited May 2014

said: 2x MSI Radeon R9 270X (Crossfire)

Now this is downright silly, couldn't you get a single 280X for the same price (the mining fever is waning, so they should be in stock again). Way less issues and incompatibilities with just a single powerful GPU instead of CF/SLI, not sure about performance in this particular case, but wouldn't be surprised if 280X will also be faster than the two weaker cards.

On the CPU side I'll let someone more neutral chime in, as I currently have three of the FX-8350 at home, and the last Intel CPU in my primary computer was a Celeron-300A back in around 2000. :)

Thanked by 1Maounique
  • rds100rds100 Member

50 EUR keyboard... that this one come with gold plated keys or something?

• rm_ said: Now this is downright silly, couldn't you get a single 280X for the same price (the mining fever is waning, so they should be in stock again)

They are currently not in stock here (MSI ones, Club3D is, but i don't like that brand), also, graphic card will be upgrade to a R9 290X at the end of this year (christmas or so)

• This is a new build? Why the 2x cards? Generally you put in a second card of the same type to prolong the life of your rig later on when it's cheaper. Fair enough if you already have a 270 lying round buy why not a 290?

As for processors this doesn't really help but I always go Intel.

• Whoops, forgot to mention that the 2nd GPU will be added at the end of next month as well

• joodle said: They are currently not in stock here (MSI ones, Club3D is, but i don't like that brand), also, graphic card will be upgrade to a R9 290X at the end of this year (christmas or so)

joodle said: Whoops, forgot to mention that the 2nd GPU will be added at the end of next month as well

Honestly don't waste the cash. Use your current rig for gaming for an extra month if you have to, get a 280 or a 290 (or an NVIDIA ;)) and then a year or two down the line when it's cheap second hand, stick another one in your rig and give it another year or two of keeping up with pretty much the highest settings. Even after then it'll do medium settings at least for a few years.

It's a waste of cash. You could even aim $50 lower total on GPU and stretch for the Intel if you decide to go that route.

• BlazeMuisBlazeMuis Member
    edited May 2014

AThomasHowe said: Use your current rig for gaming for an extra month if you have to

Well... that will be a problem since my laptop is half dead. And i've already been waiting for 3-4 months for the new rig..

• BoxodeBoxode Member

I've always been a AMD fanboy, so I'll have to go with AMD.

Thanked by 1Maounique
  • Falco33Falco33 Member
    edited May 2014

I always had Intel, I would suggest going for the i5 and instead of choosing R9 270x I would go for a GTX 770.

Edit: I would also go for a WD Black instead of blue.

Thanked by 1Pwner
  • AThomasHoweAThomasHowe Member
    edited May 2014

joodle said: Well... that will be a problem since my laptop is half dead. And i've already been waiting for 3-4 months for the new rig..

You can wait until the end of next month. You also don't have to play on the top settings.

If you wanna get a 270 or that's all your budget allows then do it, I and I think everyone else advise against buying a second though so soon.

edit:

Falco33 said: I always had Intel, I would suggest going for the i5 and instead of choosing R9 270x I would go for a GTX 770.

The fanboy in me agrees.

• Falco33 said: choosing R9 270x I would go for a GTX 770

The reason not going for nVidia is AMD's Mantle, as used in Battlefield 4 (Which i play/will be playing a lot)

• taronyutaronyu Member

Intel, it will blow your mind. I had several AMD cpu's for years but they all lacked performance. 3 years ago I bought a 2500k and I was the best thing ever. Still using it and never had any performance issues with it.

• retryretry Member

Regarding CPU, performance difference is less, but AMD will outperform and its also overclockable.
    If you want to save some more bucks get the 8320, you can overclock it to get performance of an 8350, they both are basically same.
    GPU wise I'd say get 280x if you have money, its same as 7970

• neqsteneqste Member

strange question & answer from topic starter. Nice trolling -) Eat well.

• taronyutaronyu Member

@retry said:
    Regarding CPU, performance difference is less, but AMD will outperform and its also overclockable.
    If you want to save some more bucks get the 8320, you can overclock it to get performance of an 8350, they both are basically same.
    GPU wise I'd say get 280x if you have money, its same as 7970

http://cpuboss.com/cpus/Intel-Core-i5-4570-vs-AMD-FX-8350

The only reason AMD might be better is because it has 8 cores instead of 4. But a single core from a Intel will out perform any AMD core without a problem. There aren't many games that are able to use 8 cores.

• letboxletbox Member, Patron Provider
    edited May 2014

As far as i know AMD GPU get corrupted from heat.

• NateN34NateN34 Member
    edited May 2014

Intel.

FX-8350 will bottleneck you in a lot of games, whereas a 4570 will not.

retry said: Regarding CPU, performance difference is less, but AMD will outperform and its also overclockable.

Even overclocked, it will struggle to keep up with the Intel CPUs. Also Intel CPUs can overclock too.....in fact easier, since they run cooler.

Thanked by 1netomx
  • retryretry Member

@taronyu I have already mentioned performance difference is less, the only reason I suggested AMD is for its overclocking capability and more bang for buck.
    Also there are games that use upto four cores.
    PS: I'd not recommend cpuboss or gpuboss for benchmarking.

• georgegeorge Member

@NateN34 said:

>

Also Intel CPUs can overclock too.....in fact easier, since they run cooler.

Not in this case.

• retryretry Member

@NateN34 The mentioned i5 cannot be overclocked.

• elflordelflord Member

Either one is great. I have built two rigs with that AMD chip. One actually being a 8320 overclocked to 8350 speeds. The intel chip is a bit better for most games. AMD is cheaper/more economical etc.

• @retry you can run it in turbo at all times, tho. Not really worth it if you're looking for an OC chip for sure tho, just buy the K.

IIRC some of the very early iCore chips could be unlocked at home but it wasn't easy. Maybe it was just experiments on overclockers.co.uk tho.

Thanked by 1retry
  • RivaComRivaCom Member

@retry said:
    taronyu I have already mentioned performance difference is less, the only reason I suggested AMD is for its overclocking capability and more bang for buck.
    Also there are games that use upto four cores.
    PS: I'd not recommend cpuboss or gpuboss for benchmarking.

What games would that be? I have played plenty of new releases of the last couple of years and have yet to max my i5 3570k , heck I don't think i've seen just the game runtime go over 60%.

• retryretry Member

@RivaCom Source engine games, BF3, Watchdogs.
    These dont require 4 physical cores but can use it.

• TarZZ92TarZZ92 Member

why not give one of those apu's a try

• TarZZ92 said: why not give one of those apu's a try

Funny guy... got an AMD A8-4500M APU in my laptop, things are getting hot hot hot, also, BF4 wil only run @ low

• @joodle said:
    A lot of people are saying choose the AMD if you play games like CoD, BF4 and Crysis, and go for the Intel if you play MMO Games (WoW, Starcraft 2, Diablo 3)

I'm no gaming expert, but I don't think I can recall seeing many benchmarks in the past few years where Intel didn't embarrass AMD. People talk about the price virtue of AMD, but it seems like the power difference would make that up over time.

Thanked by 2retry taronyu
  • retryretry Member

^APU will perform badly in cpu intensive games or applications.

• TarZZ92TarZZ92 Member

joodle said: Funny guy... got an AMD A8-4500M APU in my laptop, things are getting hot hot hot, also, BF4 wil only run @ low

No serious. i got a a10-6800k months back and it really does perform good. dirt 3 on max. BF3 on med/max. homefront on max

• shovenoseshovenose Member, Host Rep

The Intel processor in this case is going to perform better than the FX8350, because it has better single threaded performance and almost the same multi threaded performance. It's also a newer processor.

Keep in mind that the FX8350 is not really a true eight core CPU. It's really a quad core with some fancy things to let them market it as an eight core. Windows 8 is smart enough to call it a "4 Core" CPU when you install it.