Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

ebay hacked data stolen
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

ebay hacked data stolen

AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

Hi Folks,

This might not be worth worrying about but I changed my passwords etc anyway and it is always best to be safe etc.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-27503290

A post on eBay's corporate site said that cyber-attackers accessed the information after obtaining "a small number of employee log-in credentials", allowing them to access its systems - something it only became aware of a fortnight ago.

"The database... included eBay customers' name, encrypted password, email address, physical address, phone number and date of birth," it said.

"However, the database did not contain financial information or other confidential personal information.

Comments

• CoreyCorey Member

@AnthonySmith said:
    Hi Folks,

This might not be worth worrying about but I changed my passwords etc anyway and it is always best to be safe etc.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-27503290

> A post on eBay's corporate site said that cyber-attackers accessed the information after obtaining "a small number of employee log-in credentials", allowing them to access its systems - something it only became aware of a fortnight ago.
    > 
    > "The database... included eBay customers' name, encrypted password, email address, physical address, phone number and date of birth," it said.
    > 
    > "However, the database did not contain financial information or other confidential personal information.
    > 

Is it only .co.uk because I didn't receive an email about this?

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

I did not get an email either I just got a phone call from someone letting me know, I did a quick google and found that article, from what I understand it is not just UK no it is global.

• rds100rds100 Member

I don't think i ever entered my date of birth in ebay. Why would they have such information?

• wychwych Member

Strange, I just logged in with no "Change Your Password" message...

ebay.co.uk user.

• vedranvedran Veteran

said: This might not be worth worrying about but I changed my passwords etc anyway and it is always best to be safe etc.

I don't care about my password (what they can do, buy something from my account?), but I don't really like when my personal information gets stolen.

• I hope by 'encrypted password' they mean hashed with a secure algorithm + salt.

• AlexBarakovAlexBarakov Patron Provider, Veteran

C'mon. I ordered from co.uk site yesterday and registered. Just my luck -.-

• wychwych Member

@Alex_LiquidHost said:
    C'mon. I ordered from co.uk site yesterday and registered. Just my luck -.-

The hack/breach was months/weeks ago.

• vedranvedran Veteran

I can login with the same information on any ebay site so I'd say everything is in the same database?

@vedran said:
    I can login with the same information on any ebay site so I'd say everything is in the same database?

good point! so yes this affects everyone. given that the news only broke about 2 hours ago and the scale of ebay I would not expect forced password changes for a while.

• publiopublio Member

Here's their press release:

http://www.ebayinc.com/in_the_news/story/ebay-inc-ask-ebay-users-change-passwords

It looks like they'll be asking us to change passwords later today.

@publio said:
    Here's their press release:

http://www.ebayinc.com/in_the_news/story/ebay-inc-ask-ebay-users-change-passwords

It looks like they'll be asking us to change passwords later today.

Late ... but still faster than WHMCS :p

Thanked by 1raindog308
  • earlearl Member

Probably best to change your security question too.

• AnthonySmith said: Hi Folks

Hey buddy, good to see you back here!

Anyway, I've also changed my password just in case. Did that as soon as I get the BBC Breaking News Alert on my phone.

Thanked by 1AnthonySmith
  • MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

Hey, as Vedran said, what can they do with your pass? I still put fake info there, pay only by paypal, so, what could happen?

• rds100rds100 Member

@Maounique they could send you a gift, knowing your shipping address?

Thanked by 1ErawanArifNugroho
  • OMFG, that hacker

edited May 2014

@rds100 said:
    Maounique they could send you a gift, knowing your shipping address?

Who said that address is correct? It is a real address though, so, someone might get it :)
    /pun

• rds100rds100 Member

@Maounique what's the point in having an ebay account if you don't receive your stuff? :)

Because I dont order from ebay, but from vendors on ebay and give the shipping address in paypal notes and then contact them by email to make sure they got it.

Thanked by 1Shoaib_A
  • rds100rds100 Member
    edited May 2014

@Maounique you live a very complicated life :)
    My address, phone number, etc. is in so many whois records that i've lost count. Granted it's the office address, i receive all my mail at the office address. When the mailman comes i'm always at the office anyway, and never at home.

edited May 2014

@rds100 said:
    Maounique you live a very complicated life :)

Not at all, I have a lot of friends which can take packages for me, send them and all that. The mailman does come home with various stuff, including bills and all, which are on the real name and real address. The idea is to keep the internet facing me from pointing to the physical me. That is not hard at all.

Thanked by 1geekalot
  • khavkhav Member

Damn ebay hacked ....let me chnage my password then

Glad i always use a new password for each site that i register

• DewlanceVPSDewlanceVPS Member, Patron Provider

Thanks but I don't get any email from ebay.

It seems ebay.com is down.

• rds100rds100 Member

I still haven't received any email from ebay about password change. Did they send such emails at all?

• wychwych Member

@DewlanceVPS said:
    Thanks but I don't get any email from ebay.

It seems ebay.com is down.

Up for me.

@rds100 said:
    I still haven't received any email from ebay about password change. Did they send such emails at all?

I have nothing off them either.

• khavkhav Member

@wych said:
    I have nothing off them either.

same here ...no email whatsoever

• wychwych Member

@khav said:
    same here ...no email whatsoever

Mind you with 120m+ affected users there is probably a nice outgoing queue on a server somewhere.

• khavkhav Member

@wych
    With the millions they make every day , buying powerful servers shouldn't be a problem:)

• wychwych Member

@khav said:
    wych
    With the millions they make every day , buying powerful servers shouldn't be a problem:)

Its not the servers that are the issue with sending that much mail, its the servers that receive the emails that would freak out.