Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Fraudulent/bad clients database?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Fraudulent/bad clients database?

BoxodeBoxode Member

I'm aware MaxMind already exists, but what if there was a database of abusive, bad, spamming & fraudulent clients?

A sort of "providers round table" where providers can share information about abusive or bad clients?

Interesting concept.

Comments

• FlorisFloris Member

It's called FraudRecord.

Thanked by 3Corey mrcbrown Mark_R
  • BoxodeBoxode Member

Floris said: It's called FraudRecord.

Never knew. Thanks for that.

• Yep, FraudRecord is pretty decent. Has already saved me a ton of headaches

• +1 for FraudRecords

Also, [email protected]

• MrXMrX Member

I can't wait to upload a list of all my VIP customers to FraudRecord so that they can't buy from anyone naïve enough to rely on a third party list of alleged fraudsters.

Thanked by 1Mark_R
  • FraudRecord looks awesome, a great addition hopefully to MaxMind in WHMCS - would be a nice cross reference for new sign-ups! Too if it'd let me scan my current customer base that'd be handy too! Thanks @Floris

Thanked by 1jar
  • FlorisFloris Member
    edited May 2014

@MrX said:
    I can't wait to upload a list of all my VIP customers to FraudRecord so that they can't buy from anyone naïve enough to rely on a third party list of alleged fraudsters.

Any half-decent host would atleast look into these records, and judge theirselves what they do with it, It's obvious if someone has a lot of records, from different hosts, they're true. Reporting false frauds damages your reputation, which makes another host see how much they should rely on a certain report.

mrcbrown said: FraudRecord looks awesome, a great addition hopefully to MaxMind in WHMCS - would be a nice cross reference for new sign-ups! Too if it'd let me scan my current customer base that'd be handy too! Thanks @Floris

No problem!

Thanked by 2jar netomx
  • jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran
    edited May 2014

@MrX said:

Someone says it every time but quite frankly if you sign up with a provider douchy enough to do it, props on doing your homework and props on fraudrecord for getting the chance to display said provider in all their glory.

If you get reported to fraudrecord and you don't deserve it, name and shame the provider. If you sign up and start spamming or throw out a ddos on day one, in a case where intent cannot be questioned, my care level about your privacy goes to a big fat zero :) (personal opinion, not a philosophy followed by any job I hold)

Thanked by 1netomx
  • MrXMrX Member
    edited May 2014

Floris said: Any half-decent host would atleast look into these records, and judge theirselves what they do with it, It's obvious if someone has a lot of records, from different hosts, they're true. Reporting false frauds damages your reputation, which makes another host see how much they should rely on a certain report.

If I can make it cost beneficial to me, what's stopping me from setting up multiple hosts, and upload my VIPs (or just my entire customer base)?

Forming a company costs next to nothing, a website nothing, use a free order system, spam a few forums here and there with offers (unfortunately, all sold out!), and throw in a couple of good fake reviews. Suddenly you have a good-enough looking host that would take serious effort to find out is bogus. Knowing that my clients cannot go anywhere else, I can even raise the cost a little bit to make up for the money I spent on defrauding FraudRecord.

How is a false fraud report verified? What about merchants that make a mistake? Why would my clients go through all that hassle when they could just stick with me?

jarland said: Someone says it every time but quite frankly if you sign up with a provider douchy enough to do it, props on doing your homework and props on fraudrecord for getting the chance to display said provider in all their glory.

If you get reported to fraudrecord and you don't deserve it, name and shame the provider. If you sign up and start spamming or throw out a ddos on day one, in a case where intent cannot be questioned, my care level about your privacy goes to a big fat zero :)

That wasn't my concern, though, unless I misunderstood your post.

This fraud prevention tool can be used to damage your competition. You just need someone malicious and dedicated enough.

Suppose this tool were to become used by a majority of my competitors. If I (as described above) upload false reports for my customers in a way that wouldn't rise suspicion, I can be sure they're not going to go anywhere.

Thanked by 2jar Mark_R
  • ricardoricardo Member
    edited May 2014

It's the strength and weakness of a centralised system. As long as they deal with 'customers' complaints about being on there, objectively, it seems worthwhile for providers to see it as a valuable and accurate resource.

Thanked by 1jar

@MrX Fair point. I suppose, or would hope, it would damage the usefulness of the database more than anything else

• @jarland said:
    If you get reported to fraudrecord and you don't deserve it, name and shame the provider. If you sign up and start spamming or throw out a ddos on day one, in a case where intent cannot be questioned, my care level about your privacy goes to a big fat zero :) (personal opinion, not a philosophy followed by any job I hold)

Unfortunately this doesn't hold true as I myself have been listed unfairly. FraudRecord don't even reply to emails regarding de-listing...

@0xdragon said:
    Unfortunately this doesn't hold true as I myself have been listed unfairly. FraudRecord don't even reply to emails regarding de-listing...

Name and shame :D

I've seen providers list people unfairly and I've seen them shamed here before. I've still got a pitchfork in my closet if we need it.

• @jarland said:
    I've seen providers list people unfairly and I've seen them shamed here before. I've still got a pitchfork in my closet if we need it.

Host was extremely rude and wanted me to say sorry about my "business ethics" when I asked for a refund on the same day. This was due to the fact that the product wasn't as described. Rather ironically, the provider is on LET and LEB and is quite well known.

Thanked by 2jar namhuy
  • GunterGunter Member

@0xdragon said:
    Host was extremely rude and wanted me to say sorry about my "business ethics" when I asked for a refund on the same day. This was due to the fact that the product wasn't as described. Rather ironically, the provider is on LET and LEB and is quite well known.

CVPS? That's the only thing that comes to mind.

• @darknyan said:
    CVPS? That's the only thing that comes to mind.

Nope. I'm over it, and honestly drama would be more trouble than it's worth.

• HarzemHarzem Member

@0xdragon said:

I reply all emails personally, is it possible your email was lost somehow?

• @Harzem said:
    I reply all emails personally, is it possible your email was lost somehow?

Perhaps? Anyway, the provider was not authorised to send my information to a third party (yourselves or otherwise) as that clause was not in their ToS or Privacy Policy. In Australia that's a big no-no. I did not perform any chargebacks or PP disputes, and they still call it fraudulent behaviour. Stupid since I asked for a refund on the same day I received the product and they claim that there is a 14-day money back guarantee. If you like, I can Pm you my email and you can check the database for me?

• HarzemHarzem Member
    edited May 2014

@0xdragon said:
    If you like, I can Pm you my email and you can check the database for me?

Sure, Pm me the email address that was used to report you.

• BoxodeBoxode Member

0xdragon said: Perhaps? Anyway, the provider was not authorised to send my information to a third party (yourselves or otherwise) as that clause was not in their ToS or Privacy Policy. In Australia that's a big no-no. I did not perform any chargebacks or PP disputes, and they still call it fraudulent behaviour. Stupid since I asked for a refund on the same day I received the product and they claim that there is a 14-day money back guarantee. If you like, I can Pm you my email and you can check the database for me?

That's rude what they did you.

I say name & shame.

• Closed per OP's request.

This discussion has been closed.