Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Minecraft server for my kid
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Minecraft server for my kid

Hi all,

My kid has been bugging me for a mine craft server for him to sell subs to his friends. In a effort to support his entrepreneurial spirit. I am here asking the community.

Anyone know of a good deal on a mine craft box. i am not really sure all that's required. but would love for him to learn some Linux in the process.

Thanks all.

my kid says 30-40 kids will play.

Comments

• Sure, for your "kid" ;)

• CoreyCorey Member

@jackolantern said:
    Hi all,

My kid has been bugging me for a mine craft server for him to sell subs to his friends. In a effort to support his entrepreneurial spirit. I am here asking the community.

Anyone know of a good deal on a mine craft box. i am not really sure all that's required. but would love for him to learn some Linux in the process.

Thanks all.

my kid says 30-40 kids will play.

30-40 at a time is quite a bit - there will probably only be about 15 max on at once. You could purchase a regular vps server for this and install minecraft on it. I'm sure some providers would be willing to help you install minecraft as well.

• ohh yeah i didnt even know he had that many friends. LoL i told him may be 5-10 would be realistic.

Thanked by 1netomx
  • @serverian LoL, i wish it was for me i am the one that has to manage all this.

Thanked by 1netomx
  • are these dudes any good? i mean the price seems right!

http://beastservers.com/minecraft.html

• BoxodeBoxode Member

ShadysHosting check i out.

• NFO is pretty good: https://www.nfoservers.com/order.php?type=minecraft

Plus they are having a 'spring sale' at the moment.

• netomxnetomx Moderator, Veteran

@jackolantern said:
    are these dudes any good? i mean the price seems right!

http://beastservers.com/minecraft.html

My suggestion? Get a $5/m dedi from Delimiter (I know Atom will suffer with this, but at least you'll have all the resources for yourself) or get a DO account (using my affiliate link ;) ) haha

• I used to be in the horrid Minecraft hosting market for a few years. There are literally hundreds of hosts that should be avoided at all costs.

For this type of thing, a shared Minecraft service would probably be best as no additional setup is required.

I would recommend seeing what Ready2Frag offers for this. They are a new company but the people behind it are old dogs in the business.

• cassacassa Member

I would recommend you to go with a Minecraft host and not for a VPS, this will be easier for your kid to control his server. You can find a lot of hosts here:
    minecraftforum.net/forum/131-minecraft-server-hosting/

• shovenoseshovenose Member, Host Rep
    edited May 2014

https://www.datashack.net/cart/?id=235
    $25 dedicated server is perfect for Minecraft used to sell it off one of those actually except I paid for a second drive for mirrored RAID1.
    Another option (DataShack and WSI are for all intents and purposes the same company) is this:
    https://www.wholesaleinternet.net/cart/?id=177
    More RAM, Smaller HDD, newer CPU for less than $10 more.

Then you'd wanna install Multicraft or something like that. Very easy, and not too expensive. They even have WHMCS integration shoudl you need it in the future.

• netomxnetomx Moderator, Veteran
  • shovenoseshovenose Member, Host Rep

Dedicated is great for not getting abuse resource problems.

• georgegeorge Member
    edited May 2014

NFOservers are good at what they do.

• wow got alot of links to check out thanks guys!

• It's very easy to install Minecraft on CentOS. Try 1GB per 10 players. Will he be using Mods/modpacks?

• @jackolantern best option would be getting it from a provider who has fair bit of DDOS Protection.I would recommend BeastVM & MyCustomHosting for this.Their Canadian servers provide upto 480 Gbps/Mpps protection

@Floris @MCHPhil @Sander

Thanked by 2Sander MCHPhil
  • rmlhhdrmlhhd Member

http://minecraftserverz.com - I had one for a mate a while back, pretty good.

• i went with Beast couldn't beat the price. hopefully it works out.

• PwnerPwner Member
    edited May 2014

-

• BoxodeBoxode Member

Pwner said: Minecraft Servers are strictly banned!

Because it uses quite a bit of ram, and Beast is just another overselling summer host.

• PwnerPwner Member

Yeah, well the OP wants to run a Minecraft server for his kid. He purchased from BeastVM for this purpose solely. I don't want to see another thread open up on this forum later this week complaining about how the OP got stiffed on his service. I don't believe he read the Terms of Service from BeastVM, because if he did then he wouldn't have purchased from them.

Thanked by 1Sander
  • PwnerPwner Member

Ah, okay. Nevermind then. :P

Thanked by 1netomx
  • FlorisFloris Member
    edited May 2014

No, we don't oversell, we're not planning on doing so ever either.
    Our nodes performance shows it aswell, "Just another overselling summerhost" is untrue, in both ways. We've already invested quite a lot, and we have more then enough resources to cover everything, we're in it for the long-term.

The actual reason we disallow this is because it impacts the disk I/O quite a lot we have no problems with people using all their ram.

Thanked by 1Sander
  • BoxodeBoxode Member

Floris said: No, we don't oversell, we're not planning on doing so ever either. Our nodes performance shows it aswell, "Just another overselling summerhost" is untrue, in both ways. We've already invested quite a lot, and we have more then enough resources to cover everything.

Why do you disallow Minecraft servers? And please not the excuse of DDoS attacks, because we both know a simple auto nullroute script can handle them fairly well and not affect your other clients on the same node.

• FlorisFloris Member
    edited May 2014

@viCommunications said:

Why do you disallow Minecraft servers? And please not the excuse of DDoS attacks, because we both know a simple auto nullroute script can handle them fairly well and not affect your other clients on the same node.

Read this:

The actual reason we disallow this is because it impacts the disk I/O quite a lot we have no problems with people using all their ram.

and we don't mind DDoS attacks, at all, we have proper DDoS mitigation in place, you're free to use our VPS'es as a GRE tunnel for attacks.

Thanked by 1Sander
  • BoxodeBoxode Member

Floris said: it impacts the disk I/O

SSD caching? Pure SSD? :)

• FlorisFloris Member
    edited May 2014

@viCommunications said:

SSD caching? Pure SSD? :)

Nope, we don't have any of those (yet).
    We will get SSD-Caching on our new Xen HVM nodes in France though, and most likely for new nodes in Canada aswell.

• BoxodeBoxode Member

Floris said: Nope, we don't have any of those (yet). We will get SSD-Caching on our new Xen HVM nodes in France though, and most likely new nodes in Canada aswell.

Alright - and also can you please learn how to use the quotes? It's very frustrating when people don't use them correctly. This is what it looks like: http://prntscr.com/3holtd