Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Cheapest/free place to send emails via SMTP?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Cheapest/free place to send emails via SMTP?

hostnoobhostnoob Member
edited May 2014 in General

I'm running a forum which is behind Cloudflare, but it needs to send emails for new member validation, but I want to hide the IP of the server. IP.Board has settings for SMTP details, so should be easy to set up.

I don't want to use Gmail or Yahoo since you need to provide them with a mobile number, and I don't want to (plus I already have my number on my personal Gmail account, which I don't want to use to send emails)

P.S. We will send < 500 emails a month

Comments

• matthewvzmatthewvz Member, Host Rep

Mandrill?

Thanked by 2hostnoob Maounique
  • DavidxDavidx Member
    edited May 2014

Definitely mandrill free for 12k emails?

Thanked by 1hostnoob
  • Mandrill gets my vote as well. Very clean, efficient, and quick delivery.

Thanked by 1hostnoob
  • hostnoobhostnoob Member
    edited May 2014

Thanks guys, checking it out now.

Edit: working fine, thanks again :)

• Okay, I tested it and it works perfect, just one thing.

I added those TXT records to my DNS, but on their website it says

When you add the SPF record to your domain, that allows receiving email servers like Hotmail, Gmail, Yahoo, and others, to verify the identity of your emails for the SenderID authentication. Add Mandrill's server information to explicitly give Mandrill servers permission to send on your behalf.

Does this mean the server IP will be revealed? Can people work out the server IP from the added TXT records?

• CSharpCSharp Member
    edited May 2014

@hostnoob said:
    Okay, I tested it and it works perfect, just one thing.

I added those TXT records to my DNS, but on their website it says

Does this mean the server IP will be revealed? Can people work out the server IP from the added TXT records?

No, your server IP will not be revealed. By adding those TXT records to your domain, you're giving permission to Mandrill send e-mail on your behalf ([email protected]).

Thanked by 1hostnoob
  • MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

Are you sure you can host something behind cloudflare and the IP will not be revealed?

Thanked by 1hostnoob
  • elixirelixir Member

@Maounique said:
    Are you sure you can host something behind cloudflare and the IP will not be revealed?

Looks like it is! Apparently you also have to be quite diligent about how you handle your DNS, full guide here:
    http://blog.cloudflare.com/ddos-prevention-protecting-the-origin

• @Maounique said:

You're right, I just found a way :(

• NyrNyr Community Contributor, Veteran
    edited May 2014

@matthewvz @David_P @daxterfellowes @Spenzert

Why are you guys blindly telling him to use Mandrill? Mandrill is not going to hide the origin headers for him.

• BoxodeBoxode Member

If you need to hide from your attackers, you're doing it wrong.

• CSharpCSharp Member

@Nyr said:
    matthewvz David_P daxterfellowes Spenzert

Why are you guys blindly telling him to use Mandrill? Mandrill is not going to hide the origin headers for him.

Lol, I just checked the IP headers now and you're correct, sorry. When I first used Mandrill, at first look I didn't find my server IP (I guess next time I need to use the "search text" function).

• So Mandrill is no better than using a local mailserver? How about a cheap 64mb VPS just to send email? Could I use an LES box (the main box has IPv6 enabled)

• NyrNyr Community Contributor, Veteran

@hostnoob said:
    So Mandrill is no better than using a local mailserver? How about a cheap 64mb VPS just to send email? Could I use an LES box (the main box has IPv6 enabled)

A relay only for sending email would work, but you would have deliverability problems with LES, get a proper VPS or use a SMTP provider which doesn't reveal the origin IP on the headers.

Thanked by 1hostnoob
  • NavynNavyn Member

+1 for Mandrill

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

yeah if you are at risk of attack I would rather you did not send them from LES :)

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

there was a company on LEB last week giving 2 x IPv4 with a $5 p/year plan, they may be worth a try.

• @AnthonySmith said:
    there was a company on LEB last week giving 2 x IPv4 with a $5 p/year plan, they may be worth a try.

Thanks. Just stuck with Mandrill in the mean time and everything has been fine.