Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Do you use 3rd party email services like gmail and ymail?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Do you use 3rd party email services like gmail and ymail?

Almost every forums and websites I registered, are using gmail and ymail including LET..
I just wonder, is there any of you that hosting your own email server for daily use?
Is there any benefit? dont you scared if the server will face any problems and you cant use your email or maybe data loses happen?

Comments

• wychwych Member

Yes, and yes; no im not scared; You make them redundant and have backups.

Thanked by 1eddynetweb
  • petrispetris Member

What @wych said.

• me[at]eddynetweb.co

However, I use Gmail quite often, and I like it. eddynetweb[at]gmail.com

• zhuanyizhuanyi Member

What is the point of having it yourself when you have professionals getting paid millions of dollars every year to maintain your email inbox on infrastructures that are getting paid millions of dollars every year? All for free?

Don't tell me all those NSA cr@p, I am just a law-abiding citizen and I don't care if Uncle Sam wants to know what I wrote to my colleague wishing him a happy birthday last week :)

Thanked by 1retry
  • boerndboernd Member
    edited May 2014

I do not use such services. I host my emails on my own dedicated server.

And of course I have a second mx as backup.

• udkudk Member

I'm with @zhuanyi, have tried self-hosting in the past but it's a pain to keep up with the deluge of spam. Gmail is easy and it just works, as well as having some great features you'd be hard-pressed to get in a self-hosted setup.

• I've had the same @msn.com email address since the 90s. Guess I'm boring

• wychwych Member

@badpatrick said:
    I've had the same msn.com email address since the 90s. Guess I'm boring

How much spam do you get?