Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why so few UK providers?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Why so few UK providers?

larslars Member

A huge proportion of people here are from the UK, so why are there so few UK LEB providers?

It would be nice to host my website in my own country, however I suppose with low latency to the rest of Europe there's not much of an advantage.

Comments

• VirtovoVirtovo Member
    edited May 2014

@lars said:
    A huge proportion of people here are from the UK, so why are there so few UK LEB providers?

It would be nice to host my website in my own country, however I suppose with low latency to the rest of Europe there's not much of an advantage.

I did some research into this when starting Virtovo. Some things to highlight:

Outside of a few DCs costs can be quite high
    IP available (RIPE is on final /8 policy, IP pricing has increased)
    There seems to be an occurrence of DDOS against certain hosts that set up in the UK

Thanked by 1Noerman
  • NekkiNekki Veteran

@Virtovo said:
    There seems to be a occurrence of DDOS against certain hosts that set up in the UK

I would very much like to find the person(s) responsible for that shit and fuck them with a rake.

Thanked by 3imagine Noerman switsys
  • wychwych Member

@Nekki said:
    I would very much like to find the person(s) responsible for that shit and fuck them with a rake.

Ain't the only one.

• VirtovoVirtovo Member

Almost makes me want to throw a box up in the UK just to test the waters.

• wychwych Member

@Virtovo said:
    Almost makes me want to throw a box up in the UK just to test the waters.

A single box probably wouldn't get the attention, when you get settled thats when it happens.

Thanked by 1Mark_R
  • AlexanderMAlexanderM Member, Top Host, Host Rep
    edited May 2014

Alot of companies are probably shit scared to enter the UK, incase this whole DDoS shanagainngs starts.

• larslars Member

I've never heard about this, why are there so many DDoS attacks in the UK?

• AlexanderMAlexanderM Member, Top Host, Host Rep

@lars said:
    I've never heard about this, why are there so many DDoS attacks in the UK?

Competition.

• NekkiNekki Veteran

wych said: A single box probably wouldn't get the attention, when you get settled thats when it happens.

I was pretty much always after an LET offer, as I recall.

• larslars Member

@AlexanderM said:
    Competition.

Shame that is how businesses are forced operate in this overcrowded country nowadays. :/

• If competition is the problem then US would be the first target .The problem is something else.

• larslars Member

I'm not exactly talking about population, I mean the density of an area in proportion to the amount of businesses. For example in the UK there are hundreds of web hosting companies, in comparison to a low ratio of UK websites.

• rmlhhdrmlhhd Member
    edited May 2014

The UK has a very good and relatively unused network, there are so little hosts in the UK compared to the NL or USA. To be honest its not because of the pricing, its because people are shit scared as some of you stated above.

Most if not all of the OVH connection to the USA go via UK.

Pricing is higher here although you get a lot better network and the data centres are excellent due to the amount of safety regulations over here.

The main issue is competition, for instance if RamNode came to the UK they would get a hell of a lot of DDoS attacks, not directed at their clients. Directed at RamNode - UK DC's will kick people out if they get to many DDoS attacks - this keeps our network premium.

These attacks directed at providers are from indevisduals hired by large company's who are scared of a little competition (I have no hard evidence about this and I can not prove this is fact although it is very likely and I'm sure most of you will agree)

Thanked by 1linuxthefish
  • I would love more lowend UK providers, and not all RapidSwitch, even if it costs a little more...

Thanked by 1Rapta
  • larslars Member

@rmlhhd said:
    The UK has a very good and relatively unused network, there are so little hosts in the UK compared to the NL or USA. To be honest its not because of the pricing, its because people are shit scared as some of you stated above.

Most if not all of the OVH connection to the USA go via UK.

Pricing is higher here although you get a lot better network and the data centres are excellent due to the amount of safety regulations over here.

The main issue is competition, for instance if RamNode came to the UK they would get a hell of a lot of DDoS attacks, not directed at their clients. Directed at RamNode - UK DC's will kick people out if they get to many DDoS attacks - this keeps our network premium.

These attacks directed at providers are from indevisduals hired by large company's who are scared of a little competition (I have no hard evidence about this and I can not prove this is fact although it is very likely and I'm sure most of you will agree)

I still don't understand, why DDoS attacks on UK networks as opposed to any other European host?

• rmlhhdrmlhhd Member

@lars said:
    I still don't understand, why DDoS attacks on UK networks as opposed to any other European host?

Because our network is premium, the big hosts that do survive in the UK are so scared of competition its crazy.

• NekkiNekki Veteran

lars said: I still don't understand, why DDoS attacks on UK networks as opposed to any other European host?

Because someone, most likely someone among us in this community, is a massive bellend.

• DewlanceVPSDewlanceVPS Member, Patron Provider
    1. Strict Law
    2. Peoples are not interested in purchasing a vps/server in UK because of strict Law/high tax rate.
    3. If they have a business in UK but most of customers are from USA then why they will host their site in UK?
    4. Cost
  • We will be offering services in London soon, DDoS issue or not; that's what protection is for. [/terrible condom joke]

Thanked by 2Mark_R asterisk14
  • @DewlanceVPS said:
    1. Strict Law

2. Peoples are not interested in purchasing a vps/server in UK because of strict Law/high tax rate.

3. If they have a business in UK but most of customers are from USA then why they will host their site in UK?

4. Cost

The law isn't that strict for internet stuff, and it's a very good location for east coast USA and most of EU.

• larslars Member
    edited May 2014

@DewlanceVPS said:
    1. Strict Law

4. Cost

1) The law here is no stricter than anywhere else in Europe?

2) Tax isn't that high.

3) There are 60 million people in the UK, that would be the target audience. No UK provider will have many US customers, why would they all be American? USA isn't the only country in the world.

4) Maybe cost is a reason, but I don't see why data centres should be so expensive in the UK as opposed to the rest of Europe; we have a large population.

Thanked by 1linuxthefish
  • LeeLee Veteran

@Nekki said:
    Because someone, most likely someone among us in this community, is a massive bellend.

That really narrows it down.

• rds100rds100 Member

@lars so stop complaining and start a UK based provider :)

• DewlanceVPSDewlanceVPS Member, Patron Provider

Weather of UK is horrible, so maybe this is main reason

• larslars Member
    edited May 2014

@DewlanceVPS said:

In case the servers gets soaked?

Thanked by 2Rapta deejay31
  • NekkiNekki Veteran

@DewlanceVPS said:

Oi, you wouldn't be slagging off good ol' Blighty, would you?

• PwnerPwner Member

@Nekki said:
    Oi, you wouldn't be slagging off good ol' Blighty, would you?

I'm too American to understand that. Can you please translate that for me? Get me a 36 oz drink and a salad (extra ranch) while you're at it. I'm on a diet.

Thanked by 1DewlanceVPS
  • NekkiNekki Veteran

@Pwner said:
    I'm too American to understand that. Can you please translate that for me?

No problem.

'Hey Muthafucka, you dissing my muthafuckin country, bitch?'

Thanked by 3lars Mark_R Maounique
  • LeeLee Veteran

@Nekki said:
    'Hey Muthafucka, you dissing my muthafuckin country, bitch?'

Not bad. However you made no mention to ho's or guns so it kind of looses it's effect.

• NekkiNekki Veteran

@W1V_Lee said:
    Not bad. However you made no mention to ho's or guns so it kind of looses it's effect.

Fair point, my American is very rusty in truth.