Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Apache + Nginx + Vanish and 1 GB VPS
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Apache + Nginx + Vanish and 1 GB VPS

hayvanhayvan Member

Hello, what do you think about this combination? It would be better for eCommerce?

Comments

• BoxodeBoxode Member

Why would you be using both Apache and Nginx? There is a system to serve dnyamic content via Apache and static via Nginx, but not too sure how effective it is.

The VPS should be fine, how much CPU is there?

• hayvanhayvan Member

I'm using DigitalOcean 1 GB

1 CPU 2299 MHz (not sure)

I'm using OpenCart and it requires Apache. I read lots of things about nginx and it seems very beneficial if you run it in front of Apache to serve static content.

Also Varnish caches dynamic content.

I'm still not very familiar with setting, optimizing and managing web server. I try everything on the test server.

• BoxodeBoxode Member

Yup. Sounds good. It might be a bit of a somewhat complex setup as you need to route Varnish through different port etc.. there's a few tutorials to do it.

I suggest adding Cloudflare to the mix with caching.

All in all, should be a good setup for you. :)

• khavkhav Member

Your configuration is not so good

If i were you i would setup Nginx+PHP-FPM on a 1GB VPS and i would ditch apache completely

Nginx is so good at serving static content that varnish is not needed at all

Its easy to make opencart work with nginx . Here are the rewrite rules to make opencart work with nginx

http://www.x-note.co.uk/nginx-rewrite-rule-for-opencart/

• RophRoph Member

I would be weary of opencart. Its developer is an ignorant, stubborn idiot who has a strong disregard (or lack of understanding) for security and literally tells people who report security issues to (quote) "fuck off!"

• @Roph said:
    I would be weary of opencart. Its developer is an ignorant, stubborn idiot who has a strong disregard (or lack of understanding) for security and literally tells people who report security issues to (quote) "fuck off!"

^ This

• ElliotJElliotJ Member

viCommunications said: I suggest adding Cloudflare to the mix with caching.

Amen.

You can use CloudFlare as a really ghetto CDN if you want. Just point all your static content to a separate subdomain and set CloudFlare to heavily cache that single subdomain (set the cache TTL as something ridiculously high)

If you do that, you won't really need to worry about optimising static content since CloudFlare will be doing it for you.

• hayvanhayvan Member
    edited May 2014

Yes I'm thinking about CloudFlare but the free plan does not support SSL. Actually I don't want to pay 20$ per month. Is there any way to use free plan with SSL?

And I completely agree with your opinions about OpenCart but it is still good for small business. If my business grows up, I will hire people to write a script from stratch :D

So, CDNs make almost same thing with nginx right? Maybe redirecting the SSL pages like register, account, checkout etc. to subdomains would be a trick to use CloudFlare with free plan?

• No SSL/HTTPS on CloudFlare free plans.

Yes, nginx + apache is a good idea. See this thread from the other day.

Thanked by 1hayvan
  • salmonsalmon Member

@hayvan said:
    Yes I'm thinking about CloudFlare but the free plan does not support SSL. Actually I don't want to pay 20$ per month. Is there any way to use free plan with SSL?

And I completely agree with your opinions about OpenCart but it is still good for small business. If my business grows up, I will hire people to write a script from stratch :D

So, CDNs make almost same thing with nginx right? Maybe redirecting the SSL pages like register, account, checkout etc. to subdomains would be a trick to use CloudFlare with free plan?

They should be adding SSL to the free plan this year :D

Thanked by 1hayvan
  • BoxodeBoxode Member

hayvan said: Is there any way to use free plan with SSL?

You can use Cloudflare for your main site, and use a sub-domain "XXXX.domain.com" without cloudflare, only "pass-through" CF and enable SSL for that - would require a wildcard SSL though. :(

A standard Nginx with php-fpm and some minor nginx config modifications would suffice for this. Your site isn't going to be pushing a high amount of requests per second and therefore I don't think you need to over-complicate your infrastructure at this point in time. Let Nginx & Cloudflare do the work for you. :)

Thanked by 1hayvan
  • netomxnetomx Moderator, Veteran

Why not magento?

• hayvanhayvan Member

@netomx said:
    Why not magento?

Because I'm not a developer. I heard that you need to know PHP to use Magento properly. Actually OpenCart does its job good but it is not flexible too much. The business is small, I'm the only employee :)

• netomxnetomx Moderator, Veteran

@hayvan said:

not really, I've used for few customers, and works pretty fine

• I used this setup before and encountered several problems so I ditched apache completely and I've been happy ever since.

• What issues Makkesk?