Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Do we need to reissue SSL certificates when moving servers
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Do we need to reissue SSL certificates when moving servers

khavkhav Member

In the coming weeks i am thinking of migrating from a vps to a dedicated server.My site uses SSL and i was wondering whether i would have to reissue certificates or just backup everything including certs to be restored later

Comments

• agoldenbergagoldenberg Member, Host Rep

Yes you will. SSL csrs are IP based.

• Last time, I'm having an SSL certificate and key moved the new server, and it's still working. As long as the key is match.

Thanked by 2khav PremiumN
  • derpderp Member

Um. Take your private key and certificate with you. Nothing needs to be re-issued. The only caveat to that is if your certificates were freebies from your VPS provider and they specifically state you can only use them on their services.

• blackblack Member

My wildcard SSL cert worked when I moved servers.

• khavkhav Member

@ErawanArifNugroho

Your reply is such a relief ..... reissue is PITA

@derp
    No my ssl cert is not a freebie ...its PositiveSSL from namecheap

• derpderp Member

Then you're good to go :)

• BlastVMBlastVM Member

agoldenberg said: Yes you will. SSL csrs are IP based.

SSL Certs are not IP based. all that needs moving is the following 3 items when moving a SSL Across servers.

1, SSL Certificate
    2, Private Key
    3, CA Bundle.

Thanked by 1khav
  • i've free SSL Cert from startssl, i moved multiples time from vps to vps, then to shared hosting and it's still working

Thanked by 1khav
  • Same to most of you here, I do not need to reissue for my wildcard ssls when using among servers/IPs. Just take both private key, certificate and ca bundle files along with you :-)

Thanked by 1khav
  • khavkhav Member

Thanks to all of you here :)

This has cleared all my doubts and i hope it helps people :)

• wychwych Member

Take your private key, CBA and certificate with you and you do not have to re-issue, depending on whats happening with the old server just remember to delete your keys before the DC get the machine back into use (for a dedi).

• khavkhav Member
    edited May 2014

An update

I have moved servers and all is well .I didn't had to reissue ssl certs

@agoldenberg

Thanked by 1ErawanArifNugroho
  • wychwych Member

Hope the move went well!