Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[ASK] WordPress optimization with webserver
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

[ASK] WordPress optimization with webserver

I have been googling about this, but can't found the exact answer. This about wordpress blog, I'm using W3TC + APC to cache it and Nginx + phpfpm to run the php. I have 1 gig ram and 1 CPU.

I'm planing to save more ram (optimize), and thinking move to apache+nginx stack. I don't know what was it called, as I read the tutorial, nginx working as front end and apache as backend.

How much it can improve the general performance? And, is that true if that stack more efficient compare with nginx alone?

Thanks

Comments

• It won't use less RAM but it'll use the RAM more efficiently. What you're looking for is an nginx back proxy to Apache. In short nginx is good at handling requests, proxying connections and serving static content. The problem is that you can't easily add new modules to the core without recompilation and so rather than being able to use php and mod_php directly inside our web server we end up passing the requests to a fastcgi server that's not really all that efficient.

This tutorial on Digital Ocean is a good starting point.

Thanked by 1nadiar429
  • jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran
    edited May 2014

W3TC has consistently given me poor results lately with any configuration, including varnish and memcached. Quite frankly what was once the best plugin for all purposes is now consistently not up to par. I've put in more hours with more samples than I'd care to admit, but wp super cache has better results with a pure LAMP setup than any configuration including W3TC that I've tested.

Use minstall on Debian and use wp super cache for caching, this should be a perfect setup in most cases.

Thanked by 1nadiar429
  • sleddogsleddog Member

jarland said: this should be a perfect setup

Nah :) nginx fastcgi cache + the Wordpress Nginx Helper plugin for cache management is the perfect setup...

Thanked by 3jar nadiar429 Amitz
  • Both web servers have their strengths, personally I think it's worth the extra RAM usage to run both if you have 512MB+ RAM.

• @AThomasHowe said:
    Both web servers have their strengths, personally I think it's worth the extra RAM usage to run both if you have 512MB+ RAM.

Agree with this. I have client who uses LEMP stack, he uses linode 2GB. I don't know what the magic was, but it can serve 150k page views/day without caching plugin.

• namhuynamhuy Member

Don't do apache lamp, apache eats more ram than nginx+php-fpm

• u137u137 Member

php 5.5 with the built in Zend Optimizer+ instead of APC

• namhuynamhuy Member

yup, if you use 5.5, it has zend opcache, and I think APC is no long supported since 2012?

• sleddogsleddog Member
    edited May 2014

There was a noticeably large PHP performance improvement between 5.3 and 5.4. I don't see any noticeable performance difference between 5.5 with the builtin opcache and 5.4 with APC. There are of course new features, but I don't think it really matters with Wordpress.

Thanked by 1jar
  • AbdussamadAbdussamad Member
    edited May 2014

said: I'm using W3TC + APC to cache it and Nginx + phpfpm to run the php. I'm planing to save more ram (optimize), and thinking move to apache+nginx stack.

Going from nginx to a Frankenstein setup of nginx+apache would be a step backward. Stick to what you currently have.

If you are facing problems with your current setup then tell us what the symptoms are? For example are you running out of RAM? Post the output of free -m and also post your php-fpm configuration. We can then suggest optimizations. Otherwise optimizing for no reason at all is pointless.

Thanked by 1nadiar429
  • @Abdussamad said:
    If you are facing problems with your current setup then tell us what the symptoms are? For example are you running out of RAM? Post the output of free -m and also post your php-fpm configuration. We can then suggest optimizations. Otherwise optimizing for no reason at all is pointless.

thanks for hleping me,.. I can managed it with this one https://rtcamp.com/easyengine/ now..