Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

IPv6 and game servers
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

IPv6 and game servers

PwnerPwner Member
edited May 2014 in General

With all this rush between ARIN distributing its last /8 of IPv4s and everyone trying to enable IPv6 (either through their ISP or a tunnelbroker) I'm curious to know how the gaming community plans on transitioning.

I understand there's a list out in the Internet that shows which games already support IPv6.

At the same time, I'm wondering how the rest of the gaming community will prepare for the shift to IPv6. This includes all of our current (legacy) IPv4 games such as Halo and GTA SAMP. Will programmers need to add support so the servers will not be limited to recognizing only IPv4 servers? How will so many game server hosts follow the transition when the time is necessary when most of the games out there don't have any support for IPv6?

Comments

• SA-MP apparently works over IPv6, it's just the client that needs support adding to accept the v6 address format.

• PwnerPwner Member

@linuxthefish said:
    SA-MP apparently works over IPv6, it's just the client that needs support adding to accept the v6 address format.

Not that I don't believe you (I've been looking for this myself) but is there any evidence to back this up? I've seen several rumors around the SA-MP forums, but yet to see any verified and trusted source such as the developers posting about this. Last time I checked, they said there is no reason to support IPv6 yet since there isn't a demand or IPv4 congestion.

• AThomasHoweAThomasHowe Member
    edited May 2014

Largely it won't make a difference on games with centralised servers, at least until we start seeing IPv6 only home ISPs. As for self hosted multiplayer servers (and also for centralised ones) my guess is they will all add support eventually by the libraries they use and depend on are updated to use IPv6.

I doubt game makers will be doing much IPv6 exclusive programming on their own.

The long term isn't necessarily relevant with a lot of centralised services as the game servers won't be here in 5-10 years regardless.

• All sourcebased games(TF2, gmod, portal etcetc) support ipv6, minecraft supports ipv6, openttd supports ipv6.

All gameservers that i host can be accessed over ipv6(including AAAA dns records)

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran
    edited May 2014

Sadly, games are about the worst area when it comes to IPv6. Mostly it's just the lesser known FOSS games that support IPv6, btw your list misses OpenArena. And very little here depends on the gamers themselves, with proprietary or even with the FOSS games it's the job of developers to add IPv6 support.

• PwnerPwner Member

@rm_ said:
    Sadly, games are about the worst area when it comes to IPv6. Mostly it's just the lesser known FOSS games that support IPv6, btw your list misses OpenArena. And very little here depends on the gamers themselves, with proprietary or even with the FOSS games it's the job of developers to add IPv6 support.

Exactly what I was thinking, which is why I had posted this wondering what steps developers will take/have taken to help transition into IPv6. Also, it's not my list, you'll want to contact IPv6.com to have it updated.

• GunterGunter Member

Minecraft supports AAAA records and IPv6 from my understanding.

I can imagine most of the pre-2010 games will die out resultantly from IPv6 adoption.

• VPNVPN Member

@TheRedFox said:
    All sourcebased games(TF2, gmod, portal etcetc) support ipv6, minecraft supports ipv6, openttd supports ipv6.

All gameservers that i host can be accessed over ipv6(including AAAA dns records)

Is there anywhere where this can be verified? I have previously run a trial for 2 of our customers where we gave them a server using IPv6 and to see how it reacted. The servers (GMod using srcds.exe) wouldn't even start as srcds didn't like the IPv6 address in the command line.

• No valve games support ipv6 at this point :( (tf2/csgo/etc)

• @Pwner said:
    Not that I don't believe you (I've been looking for this myself) but is there any evidence to back this up? I've seen several rumors around the SA-MP forums, but yet to see any verified and trusted source such as the developers posting about this. Last time I checked, they said there is no reason to support IPv6 yet since there isn't a demand or IPv4 congestion.

SA-MP uses racknet, which supports IPv6. I'm also just going by rumors, but the server binds fine to ipv6 and is listed on the internet tab with it's ipv6 address...

• @Void_Whisperer said:
    No valve games support ipv6 at this point :( (tf2/csgo/etc)

Weird, i got it partially working at some way when i tested(it was accessable over ipv4 and ipv6)

• perennateperennate Member, Host Rep

Probably we'll see more gaming platforms that connect players over VPN.