Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Just a positive note about Dacentec
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Just a positive note about Dacentec

I purchased one of their RTO options which was delivered within 24 hours of payment being made.

Sales and support were very helpful throughout with ticket response times at all hours of the day measured in minutes rather than hours.

The control panel they offer is a Hostbill + Noc-PS setup, which works well although some of the options available are not clear; however I get the feeling if I opened a ticket for clarification they would be more than happy to assist.

They attached a KVM (Lantronix) within 30 minutes of a request being put in and even offered to create a bootable USD drive of the OS free of charge as I was having issues loading it via remote media.

I had an issue with networking. I didn't really have time to fully diagnose if the issue was Dacentecs fault or my own. I believe it to be arp related however couldn't pin down the exact reason. Dacentec did offer to look into the issue (log into the server etc). By this time I had decided to just cancel the server.

After looking over the terms a few days later I noticed they offer a refund period, although I was just outside of this. I put in a request if I could maybe receive a pro-rata refund as credit for the time remaining on the server. Dacentec instead issued a full refund.

The only comment I'd made on the RTO options is the upgrades can work out quite pricey over the period of the rental. The virtualisation node with 24GB of RAM is $300 more expensive over the rental period than the same non-virt node with same specs, but only 16GB of RAM. So you are paying $300 for 8Gb of RAM. It's often better to simply take the base spec and then upgrade it yourself at the end of the RTO.

Overall it was a very good experience and I may consider them for some testbed projects in the future.

Comments

• Good to know there actually is a budget provider who does care about its customers

• @K2Bytes said:
    Good to know there actually is a budget provider who does care about its customers

I really came away feeling they went above and beyond in every aspect.

• They have some really great guys working over there for sure and it does seem they have networking when setting things up but they work with you to get them fixed.

• ndelaespadandelaespada Member, Host Rep

@Virtovo said:
    I really came away feeling they went above and beyond in every aspect.

They always do

• I have a dedi with Dacentec I use for private kvms at work. I had a small network issue once, but perfect ever since. Been almost a year....

• I've had the pleasure to go to their datacenter and getting a tour. They have some very friendly staff and some great deals. I like Dacentech quite a bit. And they are located in Lenoir, NC 10min from my hometown of Morganton.

• LeeLee Veteran

That's all positive then, I always thought they were one to avoid, or is that datashack?

• ndelaespadandelaespada Member, Host Rep

@W1V_Lee said:
    That's all positive then, I always thought they were one to avoid, or is that datashack?

must be..

• @W1V_Lee said:

I've never had an issue with either of them, but YMMV.

• ePANePAN Member
    edited April 2014

I colo 2 servers with them, both server from their RTO deal), even it unmanaged they are willing to help deeply and get their hands dirty. As my experience their support is great. Next invoice will be my 16 months with them :)

• NDTNNDTN Member, Patron Provider, Top Host

Yeah Dacentec is doing great, both their support & their network & hardware :)

• @W1V_Lee said: That's all positive then, I always thought they were one to avoid, or is that datashack?

@ndelaespada said: must be..

There's nothing wrong with datashack if your expectations are correct.

• Whats a better deal at the end of 1 year RTO period? switch to colocation or keep paying same amount and let them serve the hardware? Is colocation $40 or is it negotiable?

• ePANePAN Member
    edited April 2014

@aFriend said:
    Whats a better deal at the end of 1 year RTO period? switch to colocation or keep paying same amount and let them serve the hardware? Is colocation $40 or is it negotiable?

Choose the plan that suit with your budget, here the note for your though.

When you choose option to continuing the rental, they will support the server (maintain all hardware replacement coverage).

If you choose to switch to collocation, you are responsible for providing replacement hardware and paying remote hands fees to have work done on your equipment.

When I decided switch to colo option, there a lot price gap between rent and colo (save $55 for both servers), so I switch to colo and invest the 'unused' budget for hardware. In my opinion their remote hands fee fair cheap enough.

If you are current client, ask directly to sales if price is negotiable or not. That I know dacentec price is lowest in market. All host sure will give a discount to potential client, if there a valid reason such buying or colo a server in bulk.

• I've been hosted with Dacentec for almost 2 years now. I have to say their Support is excellent, I RTO'd a SuperMicro Dual L5420 Server it had 16gb of ram. I bought 2 extra ram sticks and sent it to them and they threw it in my server no questions asked hell they even tested the sticks for me before they threw it in. I'm now sitting on 24gb of RAM and all is well with the world for now.

The $40 is the standard Colocation Fee for 2 amps with 1 IP and 2 TB of Bandwidth a month.

It used to be $30 for 1 amp and 2TB, but i think they just cut that and made it the $40 plan with 2 amps instead.

I have been pretty satisfied with the level of support and their sales team, I haven't tried to negotiate on price. Though if you're looking for some kind of deal or something special I would recommend you contact their sales dept.