Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Virtovo First Impressions
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Virtovo First Impressions

I've put this off for about a week but now here it is.

I recently got one of Virtovo's 512MB Vancouver Plans (Vancouver KVMH1 - $3.50 USD/month).

What @Virtovo excels at is mostly support and network. They colocate with PEER1, which has direct peering with huge internet backbones and Shaw Communications in British Columbia/Alberta. This is the first VPS within my own city, whereas most of the love goes towards CC locations like Los Angeles and Buffalo.

CPU model : QEMU Virtual CPU version (cpu64-rhel6)
Number of cores : 1
CPU frequency : 2099.998 MHz
Total amount of ram : 498 MB
Total amount of swap : 767 MB
System uptime : 54 min,
Download speed from CacheFly: 85.9MB/s
Download speed from Coloat, Atlanta GA: 11.0MB/s
Download speed from Softlayer, Dallas, TX: 19.8MB/s
Download speed from Linode, Tokyo, JP: 9.36MB/s
Download speed from i3d.net, Rotterdam, NL: 6.02MB/s
Download speed from Leaseweb, Haarlem, NL: 6.92MB/s
Download speed from Softlayer, Singapore: 5.94MB/s
Download speed from Softlayer, Seattle, WA: 96.8MB/s
Download speed from Softlayer, San Jose, CA: 45.2MB/s
Download speed from Softlayer, Washington, DC: 15.1MB/s
I/O speed : 102.1 MB/s

Their I/O is nothing special but you don't really need 1.3GB/s subsequential write speed.

Later on, I cancelled it as I realized I didn't have a real use for the server. Although I didn't have much data on the server, their support staff insisted that I keep my server for another 3 days in order to collect any critical data I might've left on the server. They issued my refund immediately though. Their support was extremely helpful and offered to look into PIAF not installing for me.

I would choose Virtovo if you ever needed a Vancouver location. It excels in a lot of places, really.

Comments

• Thanks for the feedback. Sequential write doesn't look normal there. Would have been happy to look into that for you. All the best.

Thanked by 1Gunter
  • RurikoRuriko Member
    edited April 2014

Virtovov is a good host and I kind of wish I could buy their limited 6core plan :s