Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Some IWStack credit up for grabs!
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Some IWStack credit up for grabs!

NekkiNekki Veteran

Hi folks,

I've got just over 10 credits with IWStack that I not longer need, and I'm happy to transfer out to to a fellow LET'er. The rules are:

• registered to LET for 3 months or more
  • 50 posts or more
  • must already have an IWStack account and have previously purchased credit,

I want nothing in return for this, but it would be nice if you could follow @AlexanderM and make a small donation to a charity of your choice if your receive the credit if you can afford to do so, although that's not a requirement by any means.

PM me or reply here if interested, but don't give me your email addy until I let you know the credit's yours.

Comments

• I'm interested in getting this!

Thanks.

• Nice offer. I would be shall take anything from prometeus, however you can also have the credits for future use by just deleting the servers.

• I'd love to have some! :)

• NekkiNekki Veteran

@peppr said:
    Nice offer. I would be shall take anything from prometeus, however you can also have the credits for future use by just deleting the servers.

I'm not going to use the credit because the servers can take too long to spin up for my needs, and I have plenty of idlers available.

I'll make a decision in about an hour chaps, just got a few chores to do.

• wychwych Member

Im not after them (not used iwstack).

Just want to say your setting a great example @Nekki asking for donations to a charity rather than a few $ compared to some of the members sale/offer/trade threads.

• @Nekki said:
    I'll make a decision in about an hour chaps, just got a few chores to do.

I'm going to donate regardless, but how would one do so? Buying a service from him or?

• NekkiNekki Veteran

After having a quick scan of everyone's posts, I've decided to pass the credit to @peppr on the basis that there seems to be a lot of constistent community contribution in the threads he's started over the last year or so, and I've not sent something his way previously.

@peppr, if you can PM me the address associated to your IWStack account, I'll get a ticket raised with them for the transfer.

0xdragon said: I'm going to donate regardless, but how would one do so?

Just pick a charity of your choosing, and throw whatever you want their way.

If you're spoiled for choice, my recommendation is The British Heart Foundation , I've lost an uncle and brother-in-law recently to heart disease, so I like to do something to support this charity every once in a while. The choice is most definitely yours however, if there's something close to your heart, got for them.

Thanked by 2Gunter mpkossen
  • Thanks @Nekki, I shall PM you my email address with iWStack

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

Well, in my tests, spinning up a new server takes about 2 minutes if small enough (the template). This includes logging in and selecting template, network, disk offering and compute offering, giving it a name, etc. It is not under 1 minute like at DO, for example, but I do not think it is so slow that it is unusable :(

• NekkiNekki Veteran

I have had 2 mins, I've also had 10 mins, 40 mins and everywhere inbetween.

Thanked by 10xdragon
    edited April 2014

If it takes more than 2 minutes, something is usually wrong. There are some bugs we are working on and some reported upstream. It happens that some instances get stuck in a starting status due to the way storage behaves in certain mixed situations, also it may happen that an instance gets created faster than the virtual router for the private network is fully operational which means the IP and the mac address/root password are not received by it and the instance will notget an IP and the root password will not match.
    In such a complex environment with thousands of variables, it happens at times that not everything is going perfectly, there are some things to do to avoid these issues, for example, be sure your virtual router and network is up before adding an instance to it, leave it a few minutes after creation before starting adding VMs to it, spin up an older vm to make sure the vr is up before adding another instance, things like these. Also, when you create a VM make it as simple as possible and add to it after, for example IPs and disks. There are things you learn by doing, also, avoid mixed environments, spinning instances via the API is faster and does not allow the VR time to aknowledge changes and at time not even start up.

This is rare, we have more than 1000 instances, closing up to 2000, these incidents tend to be rare and only happen at creation/destroying/modifying instances and are easy to notice immediately, do not affect running instances or even starting/stopping them, so, you will not have an issue like you setup a vm and then it stops working, you will not be able to set it up if it is not working from the start, this means something did not have time to fire, there was some race condition or things like those.

IWStack is much more complex than most clouds out there, having so many features means there is much more that can break, this is not ust an extended version of the solusvm reseller account where you have some resources and you are dividing them as you like and called cloud, this is the real thing, with VLANs, isolated networks, automated routers started and stopped all the time, programmed by api or via the UI, tens of nodes a lot of switches, complex config database, it keeps growing and updated to add even more features. If these things are annoying, then it is likely you do not need it, a simple VPS will do.

• NekkiNekki Veteran

Well yeah, I figured something was wrong for the longer wait times.

I appreciate the explanation, but it's really not necessary. I think you've got a really great product at a really great price, it just wasn't suitable for my 'special' needs, and I'm pretty sure everyone else is of the same opinion.

I also know you understand it, however, many people come to iwstack thinking it is just another VPS called cloud as most other people offer, i thought that a longer explanation is in order.

Thanked by 1mpkossen
  • @Maounique said:
    Well, in my tests, spinning up a new server takes about 2 minutes if small enough (the template). This includes logging in and selecting template, network, disk offering and compute offering, giving it a name, etc. It is not under 1 minute like at DO, for example, but I do not think it is so slow that it is unusable :(

I've had inconsistent spin up times for VMS; although for my use it is not an issue. The biggest issue is the outages/packet-loss on SEflow filtered IPs.

Thanked by 10xdragon
    edited April 2014

ddoS protection is for us, protecting our infrastructure so the core business does not suffer in case of attacks, it is not for DDoS wars or skid usage. it guarantees we do not kick anyone if they have an attack and gives us reason to kick fast if they do without DDoS protection. If someone needs consistent large scale DDoS protection, they need to buy a specialized service form a specialized provider, sad but this is life :(

These attacks have been a plague eversince this side business started and grew in size over time so much so that we had to up the capacity for kid games. That is not fair and does not insure we can tank more than 40 gbps anyway, so, we either kick or the customer gets protection. Protection suffers from the general issues this kind of thing carries, such as packet loss and straight outage at times, however, it is not much worse that what others offer, we would try to make it better and i hope first results are already visible.

• VirtovoVirtovo Member
    edited April 2014

@Maounique said:
    ddoS protection is for us, protecting our infrastructure so the core business does not suffer in case of attacks, it is not for DDoS wars or skid usage. it guarantees we do not kick anyone if they have an attack and gives us reason to kick fast if they do without DDoS protection. If someone needs consistent large scale DDoS protection, they need to buy a specialized service form a specialized provider, sad but this is life :(

These attacks have been a plague eversince this side business started and grew in size over time so much so that we had to up the capacity for kid games. That is not fair and does not insure we can tank more than 40 gbps anyway, so, we either kick or the customer gets protection. Protection suffers from the general issues this kind of thing carries, such as packet loss and straight outage at times, however, it is not much worse that what others offer, we would try to make it better and i hope first results are already visible.

Sorry, I didn't see it advertised that it was not for production usage and was prone to extended periods of packet loss and outages. I'll look to move my DDOS protected IPs to normal IPs as a matter of course. I appreciate your honesty about the service.

Well, it depends what production means, IMO, all production usage does not involve services prone to DDoS attacks unless you are paypal and have a lot of karma. I se it more for kids for game servers and clan wars, pissed off IRC users and stuff like that.

The definition of "production" in my view, is something that should not be concerned with such attacks, if attacks can happen, the business will likely afford specialized services.