Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Wordpress on Lowend Machines
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Wordpress on Lowend Machines

CoastHostingCoastHosting Member, Host Rep

Hey Guys,

So for many years i have developed basic wordpress sites and chucked them up on shared web hosting sites. The speed of the site run okay however when you type in the url it's almost like it's calculating everything and there is like a delay of say 3-4seconds before it starts loading.

I tried moving a wordpress site to an SSD VPS 512mb ram (digital ocean) much quicker on loading each page but the initial is still slow. is this a hardware thing or a database thing?

Comments

• the different is "SSD" word, shared hosting tend to scramble as many account as they can into a single server which also shared with many other people.

• It sounds like you could use some caching. I recommend Cachify: http://wordpress.org/plugins/cachify/

Other than that it is more likely to be a database problem (e.g. to many queries at once). How many plugins do you use and do they generate MySQL queries?

• Are you using any type of caching ?

• blackblack Member

Run some diagnostics.

Check your CPU

(time echo "scale=5000; 4*a(1)" | bc -lq) 2>&1 | grep real |  cut -f2

You should expect ~25 secs.

Download ioping, compile and run it.

ioping -c 10 .

See how many io ops you're getting.

If those check out, I suggest you add some plugins like WP total cache and/or varnish.

http://tools.pingdom.com/fpt/ might help too

• CoastHostingCoastHosting Member, Host Rep

Yeah i got total cache running and it's not tooo bad, i think of getting a lowend box just to do the database crunching, but i don't think the speed will change

• Try disable any cache plugin. Sometimes it just increase initial page load, because compiling pages cache.

• davenz said: Yeah i got total cache running and it's not tooo bad, i think of getting a lowend box just to do the database crunching, but i don't think the speed will change

If you do, provision another Digital Ocean droplet in the same location. If it's already feeling a little sluggish, using a database server in a different data centre probably won't help.

You could try it on DO anyway with two new boxes for a few hours seeing as it's billed hourly, would cost you half a dollar or so max for a day.

• CoastHostingCoastHosting Member, Host Rep

shot! yeah ill try that

• M66BM66B Veteran

Installing APC will help speed things up. WordPress consist of a lot of PHP files, which can be precompiled and cached. http://www.php.net/manual/en/book.apc.php

• You might also want to look into the VPSDime plans with offloaded Mysql, if you really think the DB is the bottleneck.

Thanked by 1raindog308
  • nimdynimdy Member

How have you configured your machine? I have quite basic knowledge of Linux so have used the Tuxlite script for my machines and Wordpress sites run fairly well with W3 cache.

• @davenz - PM me the URL

• Can you send me the link?

• I host 3 wordpress demo site on a 128mb vps, it's still faster than shared hosting. I am using lowendscript.

Mem: 128 81 46 0 0 49

-/+ buffers/cache: 32 95

• mikhomikho Member, Host Rep

I run a wordpress blog on a 64 mb vps :)
    Love my lowendspirit !