Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Server Load with CPU Usage
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Server Load with CPU Usage

Mahfuz_SS_EHLMahfuz_SS_EHL Host Rep, Veteran

Hi,
I'm running a VM with access to 4 Cores of E5-2620 v2 (2.1 GHz x 4). Recently, having problem with High Load. But, I can't understand how the CPU being 90%+ Idle, Load goes to 3.5+ ??

Can anyone explain me the internal factors ??

Comments

• Nginx looks to be in sleep. Most likely cause is blocking on disk IO. Any disk issues?

• Zen said: I/O values in general

Err. I'm pretty sure it's CPU "traffic". Correct me if I'm wrong! :)

Thanked by 1Zen
  • Mahfuz_SS_EHLMahfuz_SS_EHL Host Rep, Veteran

@Virtovo said:
    Nginx looks to be in sleep. Most likely cause is blocking on disk IO. Any disk issues?
    @Zen said:
    Load is a calculated average based on I/O values in general.

I recommend you run iotop rather than top.

I ran iotop & monitored for 5 Minutes. Total Disk Read Never Crossed 10 mbps in that time-frame & Total Disk Write never Crossed 4 mbps in that duration. Is that Normal or I'm using much ??

• SilvengaSilvenga Member
    edited April 2014

0xdragon said: Err. I'm pretty sure it's CPU "traffic". Correct me if I'm wrong! :)

CPU load is essentially a running queue of CPU "tasks". The longer the list, the higher the CPU load. He meant that IO can prevent tasks from being processed on the CPU - thus queuing up.

The code used is pretty simple:

count -= ticks;
       if (count < 0) {
          count += LOAD_FREQ;
          active_tasks = count_active_tasks();
          CALC_LOAD(avenrun[0], EXP_1, active_tasks);
          CALC_LOAD(avenrun[1], EXP_5, active_tasks);
          CALC_LOAD(avenrun[2], EXP_15, active_tasks);
       }

ehostlab said: I ran iotop & monitored for 5 Minutes. Total Disk Read Never Crossed 10 mbps in that time-frame & Total Disk Write never Crossed 4 mbps in that duration. Is that Normal or I'm using much ??

So you do have some bottleneck somewhere. I doubt the IO, else you're running on a flash drive.

• Mahfuz_SS_EHLMahfuz_SS_EHL Host Rep, Veteran

@Silvenga said:
    So you do have some bottleneck somewhere. I doubt the IO, else you're running on a flash drive.

I've monitored it when the Server Load was remaining between 0.50-0.90. I've to keep My Eyes open when it goes above 4.