Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Long Hostgator Outage
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Long Hostgator Outage

jbilohjbiloh Administrator, Veteran

Was anyone impacted by today's outage at Hostgator? Seems it started around 11 AM ET on 4/16 and to some extent is still ongoing?

This is, of course, after they had a terrible outage on January 1st which lasted many hours.

Can't help but feel for all the customers at Hostgator which are dealing with a really, really, rough ride lately. You would think that EIG could do better -- Hostgator had a pretty good track record before the buyout from what I understand.

From WHIR:

BlueHost and HostGator have been hit by another outage on Wednesday. According to HostGator, router issues in its Provo, UT, data center are to blame. It appears that the issues began around 11 am ET this morning.

These lengthy outages are becoming too common for some customers, after a massive outage in the same Provo data center took down sites for hours on New Year’s Eve. Some customers on Twitter have reported spotty access to sites over the past three days.

While it is unclear how many customers have been impacted by Wednesday’s outage, some BlueHost VPS customers are unable to access their accounts, and the issue is affecting customers of HostGator’s dedicated servers as well. The outage is also affecting BlueHost’s own sites, including its help.bluehost.com support site. Support.hostgator.com appears to be loading though and HostGator is updating customers on its support forum.

“Our NetOps team is still working to resolve an issue with a router and working to restore services for all affected customers,” Sean Valant, PR manager for HostGator said in the forum post. “Some sites are coming back online, though we appreciate everyone’s patience as we work through the issue. As we get more information, we’ll continue to provide updates here on the forums till everyone affected has their service restored.”

Customers are reporting issues in contacting BlueHost support as well because its live chat and phone support are down. The company is using its Twitter @bluehostsupport and Facebook to update customers at this time. HostGator has also cited issues with chat and phone support due to volumes.

As of 3 pm ET, BlueHost Support assured customers on Twitter that its engineers have identified the problem and its admins are working to resolve the issue. BlueHost or HostGator haven’t provided an ETA for a full resolution of the issue but will be updating customers with details of the outage.

Comments

• nunimnunim Member

Thankfully not a HG customer but I've had to deal with this outage as I was in the middle of several migrations from HG. I'm sure after this there will be even more.

• Yes, I, along with some business aquaintances are customers of either Hostgator or Bluehost. We have been having intermittent issues the entire day, and my website (along with some other Hostgator customers that are friends of mine) currently have our websites down.

It's actually pretty devestating for business. I have some vps's and dedi boxes but I always figured for a company website, better to go with a shared hosting account because they'll be less likely to experience downtime, and the technicians working at these companies are more knowledgeable than I am.

I always use the vps's and dedi's for my personal hobby, not to host business related things.

Looks like I was wrong about shared hosting from a reputable company having better stability. :-(

• rskrsk Member, Patron Provider
    edited April 2014

I have moved out our website off of BH (after 3-4 years with them) about 3-5 days back.

I guess I am one lucky guy :D

• ive got a vps with hostgator with over 150 sites on it... its been down for quite a few hours now and its middle of our business day here.
    fortunately i have a LEB running cpanel dnsonly so all the dns is still working for these customers and only 4 of them use email off this server...
    i just got an email from vultr to let me know their AUS location has new stock... maybe its time to bite the bullet and manage my own whm/cpanel server in its entirety...

• back after 6+ hours outage...

• I don't think this was their first long outage? Probably won't be the last one either.

• wychwych Member

@seaeagle said:
    maybe its time to bite the bullet and manage my own whm/cpanel server in its entirety...

Do it!

Thanked by 1seaeagle
  • no service is perfect - none can guarantee no outage (ok some might guarantee it but they cant deliver it).
    ive had a couple of long outages before but at least the vps is a managed vps and is managed by ppl that know a lot more about linux and cpanel than i do.
    moving to one of the (dont shout at me) better known and (hopefully( more reliable hosts wont really save me much money and i lose the "managed" bit of the vps. eg moving to vultr will cost a very similar amount to what i pay hostgator (but would get a lot more RAM) but its all on my shoulders. i can still experience downtime and i lose the 24/7 hostgator support. sure i can do it but as its not a core skill its gonna burn me a lot of time...
    i setup a LEB to run DNSOnly and another to run WHMEasyBackup to improve my options but want would be best would be to be able to setup another LEB that I could fail the www records over to if I had to... that is a solution i havent found as yet...

• wychwych Member
    edited April 2014

Don't get me wrong services do go down, what makes the difference is how you deal with it...

My issue with BH/HG etc is they will repeat themselves on social media, promise full disclosure and then never give any.

• i had a good whinge at them in my ticket for not publishing any updates for over 3 hours. they replied that they were posting updates on a thread in the service status forum. i replied thats what im complaining about - no updates in that thread for over 3 hours - nearly 4 by then. they posted an update in the thread after that. thats the most important thing to me - keep me informed - even if the update is "no change - we are still working on the issue" - if i see that every hour i at least know that someone is still there, still doing something. i think this is a serious opportunity for whm/cpanel - build a service like whmdnsonly that replicates your server with mysql in readonly and in the event of an outage you can trigger a DNS update to whmdnsonly. the rollback would have to be manual - but being able to at least serve static content in the event of your live server/network going down - would be a massively popular feature.