Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

DynDNS no longer free as of May
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

DynDNS no longer free as of May

Domain-name service provider Dyn has announced that it will discontinue its last remaining free services, effective May 7.
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2014/04/07/dyn_kills_free_dynamic_dns/

Comments

• I thought they already discontinued all their free stuff last year?

Thanked by 1Droidzone
  • Haven't used them. Apparently it'll be $25 per year, maybe there's a little opportunity for a LETter to scoop up some business.

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

freedns.afraid.org

• Just another reason to switch to DuckDNS.

Thanked by 2GaNi seikan
  • dns.he.net is free and has dynamic dns functionality. Namecheap's free dns also has similar functionality. You have to have your own domain, though.

• ATHKATHK Member

I just use Cloudflares API to update my domains with my stupid dynamic IP addresses.. Silly ISPs..

Simple cURL will fix you up.

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

For certain purposes I need fixed IPs and got one tunnel with IPv6 (my provider has IPv6 for for unfathomable reasons doesnt allow it to be static). Cloudflare can do 4to6, for example, and you are set. However, tunnels are not a convenient solution for everyone that needs a fixed IP and been using afraid.org for many years, there are only occasional blips once or twice a year for a few hours due to DDoSes or similar things.

• VPNVPN Member

I only use Dyn for my Sky Broadband as the router firmware has Dyn support built in.

Will have to look at other ways of doing it then soon.

• There's a free plan?! o.O

Nevermind, I'm still loyal to CloudNS

• geekalotgeekalot Member
    edited April 2014

Oh well, no big loss. As expected; aren't they the ones who gobbled up a bunch of free providers like EditDNS, EveryDNS, TZO, etc ....... to now kill or curtail the free services?

There's still a decent amount of cheap/free DNS providers, many who offer Dynamic DNS, here.

• xD, not big loss as for me.
    There is tons of different awesome providers who sharing their DNS.
    (DO, CloudFlare, Pdd Yandex, namecheap)

• smansman Member

dyndns is still free right now but you have to manually renew every 30 days by email. Can't say I never saw this coming.

So is the namescheap one similar? I have some throw away domains with them I could use. Do they have a client that auto updates dynamic IP changes like dyndns? That is the key thing I need with whoever I end up moving to.

• @sman said:
    So is the namescheap one similar? I have some throw away domains with them I could use. Do they have a client that auto updates dynamic IP changes like dyndns? That is the key thing I need with whoever I end up moving to.>

@sman: Yes and Yes. They did have a DDoS February of this year that interfered with their "v2" DNS for over 3 hours, but otherwise it works well.

• smansman Member
    edited April 2014

Doesn't look like the namescheap client runs as a service and I don't feel like farting around trying to make it do that. Are there any free or nearly free dyn DNS clients that run as a service?

• sman said: free or nearly free dyn DNS clients that run as a service

Again, DuckDNS. Amazing Ec2 based service.

• smansman Member
    edited April 2014

@darknyan said:

duckdns client does not run as a service either. What is so "amazing" about it?

• @sman said:

You can run it as a service without a client. Why can't you configure a little yourself?

• netomxnetomx Moderator, Veteran

@sman said:

Tip: srvany

That's $20 bucks

Thanked by 1mpkossen
  • smansman Member
    edited April 2014

Or just...you know...use a client that already does it.

Dyn DNS clients are not of much use to me if they don't run as a service.

Might have to buy one I guess.

• gbshousegbshouse Member, Host Rep

You can try our dynamic DNS - we have clients for both MS Windows (beta version) and Linux (bash based)

• If anyone is trying to figure out where to go I have done a write up covering most of the top free ddns services.

http://www.gnutomorrow.com/best-free-dynamic-dns-services-in-2013/

• just try duckdns.org

• emgemg Veteran
    edited April 2014

I started this thread last year to complain about how DynDNS was forcing all users to login every 30 days, which was a real annoyance to me:

http://lowendtalk.com/discussion/14100/can-you-recommend-a-good-free-dynamic-dns

I looked at No-IP.com, but they had the same 30 day login policy, and eventually I found myself using freedns.afraid.org. Setting up my internal home server to work with them was a bit of a pain, but now it works.

• smansman Member
    edited April 2014

Has anyone found a free dyndns client that runs natively as a service?. There are paid ones but I can't seem to find a free one.

• @sman said:
    Has anyone found a free dyndns client that runs natively as a service?. There are paid ones but I can't seem to find a free one.

Look here "source - namecheap.com"

• geekalot said: There's still a decent amount of cheap/free DNS providers, many who offer Dynamic DNS, here.

?piwik_campaign=LET

Why do you track LET different by sort-of affiliate links?

• Spent last night getting around this with some ddclient + CloudFlare. Gotta say, not having to login to something every 30 days is great.

• geekalotgeekalot Member
    edited April 2014

@William said:

@William: That is not an affiliate link.

That is for analytics to tell the source of any visitors. (I didn't know you had responded to me, just happened to browse this thread again)

• smansman Member
    edited April 2014

@lewekleonek said:

directupdate.net is not free. Only 60 day trial. I am considering buying it if I can't find a free one.

• smansman Member
    edited April 2014

post removed