Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

12 month review of Backupsy.com
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

12 month review of Backupsy.com

myhkenmyhken Member
edited April 2014 in Reviews

Almost 12 months ago (27.04.2013) I got my first Backupsy server. They offered a really good deal on a 500 GB disk server in the US. I was really happy, but when they opened at Netherlands DC I moved my files there, the price was little higher, but still the same great service.

Some months ago I got 4 more servers with Backupsy, both in the UK and NL. Here is my review of them (click here for the full review with all images)

Product/hardware/price

Backupsy have really good prices on their backup line. 250 GB/512 MB/1 TB for $10 and 500 GB/512 MB/2 TB for $20. But they always have coupons out there, so you will get around 30-40% off with their coupons.

They have currently 8 locations to choose from, 6 locations in the US and 2 in the EU. They are using good hardware, and their servers works fast. Backupsy are using Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU X5570 @ 2.93GHz on both my NL and UK servers. My oldest server is using a Xeon(R) CPU X5560 CPU.

When i first started to use Backupsy they was a really new company. But within months they had 8 locations, and have got lots of customers. They also gets pretty good reviews/comments on LET/WHT so they must do something right.

One thing you have to check on before you get a Backupsy server, is about other use then Backup. They have some restrictions on most of their locations about not using the server for anything else then backup.

Service/Support

I have some support tickets with them (just a few) and their response time is really good for a unmanaged host. On three tickets i have a average response time of 8 minutes, and thats is really fast support. Can’t complain over that.

Their service is really great. They have been really helpful a couple of times, one time with a really good offer on 4 servers in two locations, and the second time when I needed a temp server to transfer around 300 GB of data off my old server, and then back on it after I had done some work on the server. (added a Truecrypt container for storage).

Benchmark

NL:

UK:

As you can see I get pretty good disk speeds on both my servers. They are not using SSD disks, and still I get 354 MB/s on my NL server and 259 MB/s on my UK server. Their network speeds is also pretty good. As you can see cachefly speeds is 60 MB/s on my NL server and 45 MB/s on my UK server. And the speeds is great to most locations also.

Network/uptime

On my oldest VPS server I have 99.993% uptime with 1 minutes monitors, the server has been up for 277 days. On my “newest” servers I have 100% uptime the last 72 days since I got them.

Conclusion

You can’t go wrong with Backupsy. Their prices is really good, you get allot for your money, they have fast servers, fast network and really good uptime.

They have lots of locations, both in the US and in the EU so you will most likely always find a DC that is close to you. They have a good support department with only 8 minutes average response time (on my three support tickets). And they are active at LET ( @serverian ).

If you need a good backup server, or two, go for Backupsy, you will not regret.

(click here for the full review with all images)

Comments

• Ya, Backupsy is pretty good for backups. :)

• I always asked myself if they backup your backupserver every month or so?

• @trexos if they do, they have to have some serious big TB disks somewhere. They recommend that you have more then one backup server and replicate, so maybe a clue on the issue?

• Great review, thanks.

• Yep, they are great!

• NyrNyr Community Contributor, Veteran

@trexos said:
    I always asked myself if they backup your backupserver every month or so?

Extremely unlikely.

• @myhken @Nyr
    Thats what I thought :p

• Great review!
    Did your oldest servers come with 2GB RAM and the newest with 512MB? When did they change the plan's amount of RAM?

• @ccarita - Two of my new servers has 2 GB of RAM, it's part of the special offer I wrote about in the review. It's my live backup servers in my DNS failover setup. So they are used as normal VPS servers in case of my main servers @ iwStack goes down.

My pure backup servers has 512 MB of RAM.

Thanked by 1ccarita
  • Yay, it's finally a 9/10!

Thanked by 1myhken
  • AmitzAmitz Member

I give you the missing point: 10/10.
    Very happy with my Backupsy KVM in NL!

Thanked by 1serverian
  • dualityserverdualityserver Member
    edited April 2014

almost 9 month with their service...so far so good, so what!
    good network and good support, yeah they're backupsy!

Just a suggestion for @serverian, immediately provide backup service to asia (singapore maybe) because I've a server in Indonesia and in need of a backup server that is close to our data center.

Thanked by 1serverian
  • @serverian said:
    Yay, it's finally a 9/10!

Maybe you will get 10/10 in my 18 month review ;) - remember, Prometeus.com (my only 10/10 host up to now) also got a 9/10 back in the days.
    But I can promise there will be a 18 month review. :D I have paid for all servers the next 6 months with your good "double your money credit".

Thanked by 2Maounique serverian
  • in my experience; it is absolutely **impossible ** to beat Backupsy.

other providers should be using Backupsy as a benchmark for excellence in services and customer support.

11 out of 10 from me.

Thanked by 1serverian