Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

virtual firewall apliance
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

virtual firewall apliance

picked up a dedi recently as a test box. im mostly running win servers on esxi on it. i would normally have a hw firewall in place in this type of situation but i dont here. what virtual firewall appliance would ppl reccomend to protect the vms and the esxi?

Comments

• mikhomikho Member, Host Rep

Create your own vm and setup iptables?

• lewekleoneklewekleonek Member
    edited March 2014

An extra VM is not a bad idea as @MikHo mentioned already; if you want something that just runs off the bat you may try m0n0wall or pfSense.
    I think setting up the network and internal routing will be a lot of fun in this kind of set-up.

• yes - i want to create a vm. normally would use cisco/juniper/fortinet box but cant in this situation. pfsense was one product coming up in my searches also sophos utm essential firewall.

• wychwych Member

pfSense seems nice the few times I have used it; it has been up for around 3 months protecting my home setup and cannot fault it (loving the dual wan!).

• mikhomikho Member, Host Rep

If you are using esx or vsphere there are virtual appliances to download from vmware marketplace or turnkey linux (if i remember correct).