Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

OpenVZ VPS, bad providers, and services down, what's the best act?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

OpenVZ VPS, bad providers, and services down, what's the best act?

Go59954Go59954 Member
edited April 2012 in General

Hi,

In OpenVZ it's happening (like I've got right now while writing this), that a provider proves to be crappy after sometime of getting the VPS, or sometimes oversells right from the start.

An example is my provider does a lot of overselling. With using the new OpenVZ memory allocation (or swap) or the old allocation type (burst), it's still the same.

The problem that happened for me is finding at times, an individual service/s is dead every now and then.

Sometimes it's the web server, database server, or DNS, even a VPN or proxy death. And I come back to find the whole website is down for example.

That happened with me in yearly budget plans, but I've seen some reporting similar memory, responsiveness, or service run problems. Even while they themselves might not be even close to 50% of their allocated RAM.

What is the best practice once as described a problem is looking to be totally out of my own container (ie overselling)?

Is it for example to run a script that checks regularly all required services and if any is down it runs a command to start it? And if so do you have any good example, so it can be used to lessen the headache of those crappy providers?

Thanks!

Comments

• Go59954Go59954 Member
    edited April 2012

@DotVPS said: I don't understand what your asking?

It's about (mainly) RAM overselling in OpenVZ, where your services dies for lack of memory even if you yourself isn't using 30% or 50% of your VPS total RAM, but because of overselling.
    In such case is it best to quit/move, or to do some solution? (it's not happening often for me, but once in a few days or in over a week).

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

If the provider has a good reputation, ask them what the problem is.

In your case, you state:

@Go59954 said: An example is my provider does a lot of overselling.

So your question boils down to "I have a crappy provider - should I stay or should I leave?"

• rds100rds100 Member
    edited April 2012

It's not always overselling, it could also be from port scanning / brute forcing (i.e. 10 bots connecting to your sshd or to your imapd and this way exhausting all your memory and then the next process that happens to request an allocation fails).

Now about the cure - maybe setup some external monitoring that periodically check if the website is operational and if it's not - sends you an alert. Or automatically reboots the VPS somehow.

• @raindog308 said: If the provider has a good reputation, ask them what the problem is.

To be frank I'm not used to opening lots of tickets with unmanaged, so usually I save it for node down and real issues. But not for QOS issues unless it's becoming extremely bad..
    But I might eventually contact them and see what they answer.

• It's not always overselling, it could also be from port scanning / brute forcing (i.e. 10 bots connecting to your sshd or to your imapd and this way exhausting all your memory and then the next process that happens to request an allocation fails).
    Now about the cure - maybe setup some external monitoring that periodically check if the website is operational and if it's not - sends you an alert. Or automatically reboots the VPS somehow.

I thought of a local bash script that checks and keeps required services up and could be without reporting back to me.

• Local bash script is not the best solution, because it can die too, the same way as other services die. The monitoring must be remote.

• @DotVPS said: Who's your provider? , I'd say ask them to enable quick backup as that's a sneaky way to leave as you don't need to ask them for a vzdump

Ok and won't disclose it for the meantime :p

• If you haven't paid yearly, I see no reason to stay. It all depends though, the company could be okay, but the node could have some abusers on it. Some of the better companies around here will monitor their nodes, but if you don't let the host know about the problem, they're going to think everything's fine.

• Go59954Go59954 Member
    edited April 2012

@rds100 said: Local bash script is not the best solution, because it can die too, the same way as other services die. The monitoring must be remote.

I've got monitoring for the whole server, and port monitoring but not applied though.

Could it be a local script that also listens on a port and can be monitored with a remote monitoring service that notifies by sms/email just when the script itself is down?

Edit: Does it effect cron jobs as well? As the script doesn't have to run on the background but just with a cron job.

• Of course, there are many ways to skin a cat :) Do whatever is easier for you.

• @Kairus said: If you haven't paid yearly, I see no reason to stay. It all depends though, the company could be okay, but the node could have some abusers on it. Some of the better companies around here will monitor their nodes, but if you don't let the host know about the problem, they're going to think everything's fine.

It's yearly but not too pricey, and used it for sometime so the lose is just so small, I'll try contacting them though.

@rds100 said: Of course, there are many ways to skin a cat :) Do whatever is easier for you.

I'll better be searching first for an available similar project that checks and keeps services up, as I'm not so good to write one in bash.

• CloudxtnyHostCloudxtnyHost Member, Host Rep

Always best to contact the provider if it happens for more than a few hours.

There may not be much monitoring on the VPS nodes and you could help them solve a little problem before it becomes a major problem!